What's new

Tatara Masamune

I'm considering this razor (std. plates for now). In your experience, how efficient and comfortable on 1-10 scales is it? And in comparison to Feather ASD2, Merkur 34C, Jagger DE89, Henson Mild and Medium, Timeless SB .68, Yates 921M / Merica, etc.?

I

Island

Comfort 8, efficiency 6

Comfort (decreasing order):
Feather, timeless .68SB, Masamune, Overlander, Henson, mercur.

Efficiency (decreasing order):
Overlander, timeless .68sb, Masamune, mercur, Henson, feather.

For quality of construction, the Masamune would be near the top. I personally prefer the timeless and Overlander.

I'm considering this razor (std. plates for now). In your experience, how efficient and comfortable on 1-10 scales is it? And in comparison to Feather ASD2, Merkur 34C, Jagger DE89, Henson Mild and Medium, Timeless SB .68, Yates 921M / Merica, etc.?
For a full Masamune setup, I would agree with the numbers above. If you want something more aggressive you can swap out the base-plate and/or top-cap for a Nodachi. A full Masamune is what I use as my daily, and when I need a little something more, I switch out to the Masamune open-comb base-plate. The Tatara website will let you build whatever razor combination you want.

I got my Masamune about a month ago and have been using it almost every day. I’m
not very good at ranking by numbers but I can compare it with the Timeless .68 SB which I have and used for a long time. At first the Timeless seemed more efficient and intuitive (angle, neutral blade exposure) but after a while I found that the Masamune is great. Easier to use in tight spots (Timeless head is well designed and has great cleaning system but it’s bulky). Weight of Masamune is perfect and less than the Timeless. It’s efficient without being obvious. As far as design and built quality the Masamune is top notch.

I got my Masamune about a month ago and have been using it almost every day. I’m
not very good at ranking by numbers but I can compare it with the Timeless .68 SB which I have and used for a long time. At first the Timeless seemed more efficient and intuitive (angle, neutral blade exposure) but after a while I found that the Masamune is great. Easier to use in tight spots (Timeless head is well designed and has great cleaning system but it’s bulky). Weight of Masamune is perfect and less than the Timeless. It’s efficient without being obvious. As far as design and built quality the Masamune is top notch.
Do you now prefer the Masamune to the Timeless? You're saying both comfort and efficiency are comparable? Or is the Masamune higher in comfort and/or efficiency now in your experience?

I

Island

Factors to consider other than efficiency and smoothneness are maneuverability, resistance to accidental weepers and post buffing irritation. Based on those features, I would rank the Outlander at the top of mild razors. The Masamune is not the smoothest but is very maneuverable. Its efficiency is only average and there can be post buffing irritation. It is relatively resistant to weepers but not up to the Overlander.

Do you now prefer the Masamune to the Timeless? You're saying both comfort and efficiency are comparable? Or is the Masamune higher in comfort and/or efficiency now in your experience?
Comfort maybe higher for the Masamune, efficiency maybe less vs Timeless .68. But overall I really like the Masamune for reasons beyond comfort or efficiency ranking. I also like my Timeless aluminum .45. Efficient and intuitive.

I may try as Wogus suggested above the Masamune OC or the Nodachi cap/base

The Masamune is very smooth but mild. For me it compares to 34HD or DE89. The other razors on your list may be more efficient. Out of your list I find the Yates M the best of the bunch. When I use my Tatara it’s mostly with Nodachi combo or Nodachi base with Masamune cap as the full Masamune is too mild. When I use my Yates it’s always H plate.

Tatara makes a fabulous quality razor and has options to dial in your shaving preference. I like mine.

Factors to consider other than efficiency and smoothneness are maneuverability, resistance to accidental weepers and post buffing irritation. Based on those features, I would rank the Outlander at the top of mild razors. The Masamune is not the smoothest but is very maneuverable. Its efficiency is only average and there can be post buffing irritation. It is relatively resistant to weepers but not up to the Overlander.
I own a Tatara Masamune and I love it. It’s the best for me. However, I also like the Outlander’s design very much. I’ve read that it’s comparable to the Rockwell plate 4, which is a bit too aggressive for me. I enjoy using the plate 3.

Masamune gets a lot of favorable feedback and it was on my radar for a while. It's pricey, and I would suggest that you prowl around the interwebs a little to get a feel for the quality control and the customer service -- might influence your decision, might not.

I've been using a dark Masamune SB in rotation for a number of years. For me, it's tied for pleasantest-in-use with my ATT S1 and my FOCS. On Monday, I ordered a Masamune Ti SB at the Black Friday sale price, and Tatara shipped it yesterday. I'm pumped. When the razor is delivered and I've shaved with it a few times, I'll report back.

For me, efficiency increased but with reduced smoothness and comfort. Changing the top plate to Nodachi was an intermediate step. But I still prefer the full Masamune.
My Masamune Ti arrived today, less than two weeks after I placed the order. Pretty quick from Lisbon to DC.

It’s my first titanium razor. As I expected, it looks great, and the balance and hand feel seem about perfect. My photo won’t do it justice.

First shave tomorrow. I’ll post an eval after half dozen or so shaves.

Five shaves in with my Masamune Ti. Bottom line: I’m very satisfied.

With medium sharp blades (Personna Lab Blue and Eddison), shaves have been smooth and trouble-free—Tech-like. A Kai would improve efficiency, and I’ll try one later. Proper angle has been easy to find at 45-55 degrees. Balance is ideal. As others here have said, titanium somehow feels gentler on the skin than steel. Quality of workmanship is at Tatara’s very high standard.

I’ve enjoyed my stainless steel black Masamune in rotation for years. The lighter weight of the Ti reduces the effort, but the resulting shaves are similar, maybe identical. I may choose one or the other at some point, but I’m glad I don’t have to.

Top Bottom