What's new

Tallow, Tallow, Tallow info needed!

This has gotten interesting. I guess I am going to have to try my Speick a few more times. And for the record, I hate sticks so I did indeed grate it and pack it into a dish. Just hasn't been as user friendly as the Tabac so far, but I am now inclined to win the battle against my Speick.

BTW, can someone please explain to me the deal with MWF? Some love it, some hate it. It seems that this is primarily because of lather issues if I understand correctly. I solely face lather, never with a bowl. Should I give MWF a try? What does it smell like?

O, and forgot.....I actually love the smell of both Tabac and Speick. I actually think out of all the numerous creams and soaps I have tried, those two might very well smell the best IMO. (I am sure someone is gonna flame the hell out of me for admitting my love for the Tabac smell, but that's cool though).

Last edited:
BTW, can someone please explain to me the deal with MWF? Some love it, some hate it. It seems that this is primarily because of lather issues if I understand correctly. I solely face lather, never with a bowl. Should I give MWF a try? What does it smell like?

Definitely give it a try. By my second shave with MWF, I had the lather figured out. Though it works great in a bowl, I face lather it most of the time. du212 made a great lathering tutorial which should be a great help to those struggling with the soap. MWF has a light soapy scent. If you do get it and decide that you don't like the soap, it will go quickly on the BST.

Definitely give it a try. By my second shave with MWF, I had the lather figured out. Though it works great in a bowl, I face lather it most of the time. du212 made a great lathering tutorial which should be a great help to those struggling with the soap. MWF has a light soapy scent. If you do get it and decide that you don't like the soap, it will go quickly on the BST.

+1. You can't go wrong with MWF it's definitely worth any extra effort you put in.
:thumbup1:

The AOS soap I had (lavender) had a clay smell about it, and I decided that the Valobra stick is an option, exaclty the same recipe and supposedly made by the same manufacturer as AOS, with a different fragrance, and is far less expensive than paying for the AOS big brand name.

Also, I heartily second the motion regarding MWF. That's a great one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't forget DR Harris!

The main thing with MWF is the lathering issues. It seems to be a hard one to find the 'sweet spot' & get a good lather. Those who can lather it easily, tend to find a great face-moisturising lather, no doubt due to the lanolin. There is little scent to it ... mostly a pleasant and inoffensive 'soap' smell.

I like the AOS, but don't find it worth the price premium based on performance alone (I have the sandalwood and really like the scent).

In terms of tallow soaps, I really like the Palmolive stick and think its an unsung gem, other great choices are the previously mentioned Spieck, Tabac and Irish Moos.

Harris does have some tallow as well, but I think its no better than the other soaps I've mentioned, but it does have a great range of scents.

So I have tried Tabac and Speick. The Speick did not cut it for me, it seemed kinda week in comparison. The Tabac seemed to be far better (lather, softening of the skin, cushion, etc.). Anyone else notice this? )

I love Tabac. Despite most peoples dislike of the scent. I enjoy it and it does give a great cushion. Tabac with some EVOO as a preshave has made a world of difference in my shaves.

Here are my impressions, of course, YMMV.

Tabac: Decent performer, but really nothing special. Grossly over rated in my honest opinion, even if you can stand the smell

MWF: Good performer. Some people have issues lathering it. Works well, leaves my skin feeling nice. But the lack of scent is a deal breaker for me

Palmolive: Ok performer. Inexpensive and inoffensive

AOS: In the top tier. Great performance and scent. Expensive, but Jim has been using 1 puck in the 3017 thread for over 6 months....

Cella: Another over rated product. Easy to lather, and the lather is decent enough. But the smell is sickly sweet and artificial.

DRH: Good performance. Not as good as AOS, but the price is reasonable, there are more scents, and its fairly close.

Williams: Honestly...life is too short to use this stuff

Arko: Decent performance. Better than palmolive but not as good as DRH. The scent doesn't bother me. Others can't stand it.

That's my impression of the tallow soaps I've tried, although none of my top 3 soaps have tallow

If you want to try more tallow soaps, my #1 suggestion would be the Valobra stick. The AOS pucks are basically the same recipe except they're pucks and come in different scents. I honestly prefer the neutral/clean soapy scent of the Valobra stick to any of the AOS scents.

After that, the DRH soaps are very good...just pick out scent.

Cella would probably be my next recommendation after those...

Cella seems to have a polarizing scent to some (as do most products), but I happen to love the marzipan smell and the performance is great. I rate a soap on both scent and performance; defined as ease of use, slickness and post-shave feeling. Cella excels in all categories and it is inexpensive.

Next in line would be the DR Harris soaps, as they too have great scents and performance. I am on the 30d run with the DR Harris Lavender now and it makes me want to stock up on Arlington and Marlborough, too (trying to hold out in case the announced Windsor line includes a soap - I find the DR Harris creams lacking).

I have Speick in my rotation, but to be honest it is on the bubble. It seems to work OK, but the post shave feeling isnt there. I am waiting for the full on summer to see if that is its season.

Talbac and Irisich Moos are the same soap with different scents - neither of which appeal to me, but certainly have their fans. The RazorRock soaps are similar to Cella in texture, but while I love the scent of the Mughetto di Bologna - there was a slight itch / burning sensation to me. I am in the minority there and the soaps are inexpensive, so feel confident in trying them knowing that they are a low risk investment and will go quick on the B/S/T forum

Top Bottom