What's new

Tallow Based soaps

The Wilkinson Sword shaving stick is a tallow based soap that also contains lanolin( wool fat ). I do not have this soap myself though so I can not recommend it personally, it gets positive reviews though. I am very curious about it.

Other tallow based soaps that I have used are Palmolive, Tabac and Arko. These three soaps are my favorites and I recommend them.

Beer fat? :blink:

proxy.php

I'd guess the least expensive tallow soap has to be Arko. It's not the best soap in the world but it's good enough where if that's all there was I'd be fine with it. Can't really put it in the same class as MWF or Harris though - so it's not really a bench-mark type of offering, it's pedestrian and back-to-back shaves with Arko and a higher-end soap will prove that point. It's more than servicable but it's not to be placed in the same league as a luxury triple milled soap like MWF.

Tabac from FragranceX.com is 14.00 delivered - that's for a 4 oz puck in a nice bowl. There are deals around - often, the BST thread has a post or two where someone is selling a tallow-based soap for a reasonable price.

Some versions of Erasmic have tallow, but you have to check the ingredients to work out which kind it is.

Erasmic in a bowl is all glycerin based. Original and latest formats of the stick are tallow based but there was briefly a glycerin version in between. I have never even seen the glycerin stick to buy anywhere but the glycerin stick is said to be poor. Generally speaking, I love all Erasmic products.

I'd guess the least expensive tallow soap has to be Arko. It's not the best soap in the world but it's good enough where if that's all there was I'd be fine with it. Can't really put it in the same class as MWF or Harris though - so it's not really a bench-mark type of offering, it's pedestrian and back-to-back shaves with Arko and a higher-end soap will prove that point. It's more than servicable but it's not to be placed in the same league as a luxury triple milled soap like MWF.

Tabac from FragranceX.com is 14.00 delivered - that's for a 4 oz puck in a nice bowl. There are deals around - often, the BST thread has a post or two where someone is selling a tallow-based soap for a reasonable price.
How about the Kilo blocks of Cella and p. 160...

Even taking into account shipping costs (they are v v cheap in Italy - under 10USD/kilo) - they must be, gram for gram, as good a deal as it gets.

How about the Kilo blocks of Cella and p. 160...

Even taking into account shipping costs (they are v v cheap in Italy - under 10USD/kilo) - they must be, gram for gram, as good a deal as it gets.

Agreed - there are many many options - along with a great many ways to look at those options and the overall investment.
I have a kilo of both P.160 Duro and Cella XX Purissima - both were bargains when you figure the cost per gram. They both lather well and I use them regularly. They might be the cheapest soap (cost per gram) I own.

However - at 40.00 for a kilo - someone trying a Tallow soap for the first time might find the initial investment for a 1000 g of Cella/P.160 to be daunting.

Definitely Palmolive, extremely cheap but i would happily pay more for it as it easily contends with the higher priced tallow soaps.

IVORY Soap is tallow based. See recent threads on using it to shave. Now I will hide under my desk til the flak clears after making this suggestion!:ohmy::lol:

The best one I have is Czech & Speake #88. It lathers as well as Tabac, has superlative glide and cushion, and leaves the face feeling soft and refreshed (Tabac doesn't for me, alas). The scent is a little 'take it or leave it', but I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. 6 months of luxury is worth £20 to me.

For me the Valobra stick is as as good as it gets. Buy a couple and mill into a bowl/container. Great value for money and a great shave. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom