What's new

Taking It Up a Notch PIF

IM IN! I got a Fatboy this Christmas and I cranked it all the way up and on my last pass to complete my shave (also known as the last cast for the fisherman out there) I took a chunk out of my Adams apple..a month later and people are still asking me what I did!

Wow, lots of great responses! I will say Techs are one obsession I have somehow managed to avoid...so far. I can empathize with kicking it down a notch, too. Lately I find myself looking for ways to simplify, or at least manage the complexity.

Keep the stories coming...

I'm in, thanks! I tried kicking it up a notch by using a feather blade for shaving my legs, big mistake I just ended up cutting myself over and over. Oops

I'm in. Thanks for the opportunity.

Recently, I've tried to kick my lather quality up a notch. I live in an area with hard water, and realized that with some more work (usually longer bowl lathering time; sometimes more load time), I can get some soaps to go from a mediocre lather to a good one. In the case of Proraso, I've gotten that from a good lather to a great one by working the lather for another minute or so.

Not in, but I agree with it being a good PIF. I have some orders of blades and similar coming in, so I'll be PIFing some out after that. I have a red tip as well as a bunch of soap I haven't tried yet, so don't need this :)

I'm in.! Tried to kick it up a notch by getting a Concord Razor. Big mistake as it was too aggressive for me & took me to nicksville.! :w00t:

I'm in! Thanks for the generous PIF, I haven't used any of these

When I was using carts, I thought I'd kick it up a notch by buying a $100+ electric razor....I could use it in the shower, cool huh lol. Man, did it really irritate my neck. But, dumby me, I kept using it cuz the damn thing cost 100 bucks! So, I alternated between carts and electric for 2 years I think. Then, last year, got my 1st DE: Merkur 34c and never looked back 😎

"Never trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment."

Sent from the GnomePhone

Last edited:
I'm in! I tried to kick it up a notch with the Futur. I don't know if mine is defective, or if it's just me, but the blade exposure on mine is frightening! I've nicked myself a few times, but the worst was slicing my earlobe when I was going to start shaving the back of my head. My shower stall looked like a scene from Psycho. The Futur is now rarely used.

What a generous PIF! Hopefully you'll consider shipping to Canada (I would gladly pay the difference).

Several years ago, back when I was still using canned shaving gel and Gillette cartridges, a friend told me "oh you gotta try a tub of Proraso white... That's REAL shaving cream!". I wanted to step it up a notch so I went ahead and bought a Proraso tub and tried it. I thought it was the silliest thing ever and went straight back to canned gel.

Why is that? Well, I had no clue how to use it. I treated it like canned gel. Didn't use a brush. Just wet my fingers lightly, rubbed the croap in the tub and then rubbed my face with the little of the soap that stayed on my fingers. We're talking zero lather. I had a terrible shave and thought "this shaving cream is dumb". Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, I was the one being dumb ;)

Let me just stress again.... That was many years ago ;)

I'm in. Thanks. I've wanted to try a red tip for some time now. Love MW, but have never tried a stick. Love TOBS, but got tired of Sandalwood.

Tried to take it up a notch with some famous splash aftershaves. Tabac was a fail - not a good scent in the splash. Vigoroso was the success.

I'm in. I'm not sure if this counts but I tried to take my arm training up a notch and did straight barbell curls before every workout and ended up tearing the tendon down near my elbow. Painful enough but not bad enough to require surgery.

Rare scent cream? Hmmm... Would like to try that! So with abotu 4 hours left before teh closing of this PIF, I'm in!

Oh heck with it, I'm in! My tale of kicking it up a notch is one that you all have probably heard a million times. After 20 years of using cartridge razors on a maybe twice a week basis, I completely changed my career path, and went from being a retail peon, to following my geeky dream of working in the programming industry. With that change came the necessity of shaving on a more regular basis. While my Fusion was giving me an adequate shave, having to shave 3 times a week to maintain an acceptable appearance made the cost of cartridges that weren't that great an annoyance at best.

I had toyed with the thought of a DE, partially for cost but also for the tradition behind it. And while I spend most of my time on computers and technology, the connection with a simpler time had always sparked my interest (Welcome to the dichotomy that is my life!). The fact that DE razors typically produce a better shave, when used properly, was just icing on the cake.

So last week I went to Amazon and ordered up a starter kit and some soaps and blades. I did my first shave this afternoon, and for the most part the final results were on par with the Fusion, which I view as a win given that it was my first attempt. The best part of taking my shave up to the next level, is that I'm actually looking forward to shaving tomorrow to see if I can improve my technique! I never thought I'd see the day!

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in this most generous PIF!

Pat

The PIF-inator 9000 (Excel) has spoken and the lucky winner is bright09!

Thanks to everyone for all of the participation and the great stories of your attempts to "take things up a notch" - no matter the outcome...

Top Bottom