• Cella

Results are only viewable after voting.
Damnit man! Just did my purchased...

Le Pere Lucien
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Cella...

and

Tabac :(...

Well guys, thanks for participating in the vote, though in the end I still went with both!

I prefer Cella but am allergic to it's fragrance.
Yes, you're not alone. Actually I think that is the main complaint about Cella; the fragrance supposedly contains benzaldehyde, which some people cannot stand on their skin (actually a common thing with almond soaps).

OTOH, I am sure you will also find someone who gets an itching red face from the fragrance in Tabac.

Wow thats a hard one. I get amazing slick and creamy lather from both. Tabac has legendary status here for VERY good reason. BUT...so does Cella. Pick one, and then buy the other when you can get some funds...its really worth owning both. I first got Cella and some months later got my hands on Tabac. Both are amazing. Cella is cheaper so that may be easier for you to acquire initially (unless you get the coveted Cella brick, that will be more expensive). This may not help much...but you can't go wrong with either.

Yes I do understand that, but I believe forum will at least show me where to start with rather than going into a purchase without any clue of what I will be buying!

I don't think so. To add to eeyores comments:
ive never smelled Tabac (although I do enjoy Cella) but I suspect Tabac is a polarizing scent, as I found TOBS Avocado to be. Some rave about it, others despise it. how do you know which camp you will fall in? it doesnt matter if 60% fall in one camp and 40% fall in the other...
I got a chance to go to a shave shop and smell a lot of creams/soaps. I learned that for me, for example, TOBS Avocado brought me the closest to vomiting in a store as I had ever been. yet others obviously enjoy that scent. so which reviews to believe? i'll never buy it however, even if it is a great performer. when on an admittedly tight budget, do you want to get stuck with something you hate?

FWIW, as I interpret the posts here, Tabac might have a slight edge in performance over Cella. But theres a good chance you will hate the smell. Performance canbe as subjective as scent. So how do you decide?

edit: congrats on your purchase!
Hope you will post back with your own opinions/experiences with the soaps!

Last edited:
Yes I do understand that, but I believe forum will at least show me where to start with rather than going into a purchase without any clue of what I will be buying!
Not really. It will just tell you which one was more popular. Popularity won't tell you which will work better for you, what scent you'll prefer or any of the other factors that are typically used in determining how well a soap works for a given individual. Both are well regarded soaps and worth trying even though neither is my personal favorite. As with anything else here, YMMV.

I like performance and scent to be close. To me tho performance will always trump scent. [emoji2]

I forgot to mention that my wife hates the scent of Tabac and my kid loves the scent of Cella, so those pretty strongly sway things.

I wish they had a half-strength Tabac. That would be awesome.

Or if they could make Tabac smell like MWF. Heaven.

I don't think so. To add to eeyores comments:
ive never smelled Tabac (although I do enjoy Cella) but I suspect Tabac is a polarizing scent, as I found TOBS Avocado to be. Some rave about it, others despise it. how do you know which camp you will fall in? it doesnt matter if 60% fall in one camp and 40% fall in the other...
I got a chance to go to a shave shop and smell a lot of creams/soaps. I learned that for me, for example, TOBS Avocado brought me the closest to vomiting in a store as I had ever been. yet others obviously enjoy that scent. so which reviews to believe? i'll never buy it however, even if it is a great performer. when on an admittedly tight budget, do you want to get stuck with something you hate?

FWIW, as I interpret the posts here, Tabac might have a slight edge in performance over Cella. But theres a good chance you will hate the smell. Performance can be as subjective as scent. So how do you decide?

edit: congrats on your purchase!
Hope you will post back with your own opinions/experiences with the soaps!

I wish I have more opportunity to smell some soaps before buying them! but living in Singapore makes this extremely tough as not much place sells shaving soap :001_smile, if not making decision between Cella and Tabac will be much easier. Hence this will be the closest I can get to make a decision, through you expertise

Not really. It will just tell you which one was more popular. Popularity won't tell you which will work better for you, what scent you'll prefer or any of the other factors that are typically used in determining how well a soap works for a given individual. Both are well regarded soaps and worth trying even though neither is my personal favorite. As with anything else here, YMMV.

If being popular means something, I think it really says something. Things get popular for either it being good or being bad, and being bad usually thread like this people will ask me to stay away. So I believe I am still doing the right thing asking all the experts and professionals here.

Using a Tabac stick now. Hard to complain about it. If I was going out though I'd choose Cella so I wouldn't put others off with the scent.

Buy both. You deserve it.

Many of the irritation issues arising from using Cella have their origin in the red plastic tub leaching.

Try obtaining some Cella originating from a brick for relief before giving up on a really good affordable product.

Both are really good albeit different in lathering, lather properties and scent.

Top Bottom