What's new

Synthetic belts

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You can't go wrong with the original "Instructors" belt by The Wilderness, or their "Frequent Flyers" belt. But there are many good options out there, some that appear less tactical, with ratcheting buckles. Just make sure that it is a belt made specifically as a gun belt and has adequate vertical stiffness.

Last edited:
What you carry, where and how you carry can come into play ie. 5 inch all steel 1911OWB v Glock 48 AIWB.

Having said that:

1. Mastermind Tactics Belts

2. Tenicor Zero and Heavy Zero

3. Belts made with Biothane

Wilderness Products are the old school answer for sure. They have forgot more about cutting/sewing nylon than many folks know.

A Wilderness 5 stich Frequent Flyer Model may be the perfect one synthetic belt solution on the intersection of quality/value/function/durability/prestige scale.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Iv'e been pretty happy with my basic 5.11 Tactical 2-ply, green on one side black on the other. But might have to go get the Wilderness 5 stitch Frequent Flyer after this thread. :)
I have both the original Instructor belt and the Frequent Flyer belts, both 5 stitch. I will say that the FF double ring "buckle" has a tendency to slip a little bit and may need to be slightly tightened during the day, but it is a relatively minor issue. YMMV. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. But I think the next belt that I buy will be the one I linked above.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have both the original Instructor belt and the Frequent Flyer belts, both 5 stitch. I will say that the FF double ring "buckle" has a tendency to slip a little bit and may need to be slightly tightened during the day, but it is a relatively minor issue. YMMV. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. But I think the next belt that I buy will be the one I linked above.

Yeah, I’m thinking the lower profile buckle they have designed specifically for EDC.

:)

Evolution- With Wilderness-The original intructor belt begat the FF double ring begat the EDC carry begat the swift

A small maker -Mastermind Tactics (formerly Graith) came on the scene after the FF but before the EDC carry of Wilderness 5 ish years ago and is hard to beat if low profile is driving the train at 35 USD when they are in stock.

My new hotness is The Tenicor Heavy. Sewn by Wilderness. No Velcro to rip and super low profile.

I have the std Zero in both Blk and Coyote. I would buy Heavy knowing everything I know now. I have sold other belts to thin the herd and defray the cost of my suite of Zeros.

Downsides: they sell out and they are relatively expensive 79 std/89 heavy.

FOR ME- the ability to micro Adjust on the fly and no loud Velcro rip sound is worth it.

This gives me lots of leads. I have about 10 Don Hume belts that are about 30 years old. They look beat to hell but I will get some leather dye to clean them up.
but I need a change and will get into the modern age and try something else.

OkieStubble

This gives me lots of leads. I have about 10 Don Hume belts that are about 30 years old. They look beat to hell but I will get some leather dye to clean them up.
but I need a change and will get into the modern age and try something else.

Don Hume, good ole’ Okie boy. :)

OkieStubble

Evolution- With Wilderness-The original intructor belt begat the FF double ring begat the EDC carry begat the swift

A small maker -Mastermind Tactics (formerly Graith) came on the scene after the FF but before the EDC carry of Wilderness 5 ish years ago and is hard to beat if low profile is driving the train at 35 USD when they are in stock.

My new hotness is The Tenicor Heavy. Sewn by Wilderness. No Velcro to rip and super low profile.

I have the std Zero in both Blk and Coyote. I would buy Heavy knowing everything I know now. I have sold other belts to thin the herd and defray the cost of my suite of Zeros.

Downsides: they sell out and they are relatively expensive 79 std/89 heavy.

FOR ME- the ability to micro Adjust on the fly and no loud Velcro rip sound is worth it.

So I see the standard and the heavy, what is the under?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Which ratchet style belt is it?

It’s a Kore. If you are into the made in America thing they sell US and offshore models.

They also have different profile buckles, and you cut the belt down to fit your needs. Depending on the pants I wear the ratchet is invaluable as some need less or more tightness, as well being able to easily loosen when sitting for long periods. When you stand up you just click it tighter. I used a better BDU belt for years and I just can’t go back to a belt with set increments of adjustment.

If anything the only downside so far is it’s so stiff it takes an extra few seconds to feed the loose end into belt loops, and if you have extra belt past the loop it will stick out unless you use the keeper it comes with. You could cut it exactly so it just ends at a belt loop, but unless you wear the same pants all the time the belt loop spacings vary.

All in all I like them, and have two.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I enabled myself and bought the nylon Nexbelt and a leather version, the cheaper Classic Expresso. Maybe someday I'll splurge for the "Crazy Horse"? (Both are on sale right now).

OkieStubble

It’s a Kore. If you are into the made in America thing they sell US and offshore models.

They also have different profile buckles, and you cut the belt down to fit your needs. Depending on the pants I wear the ratchet is invaluable as some need less or more tightness, as well being able to easily loosen when sitting for long periods. When you stand up you just click it tighter. I used a better BDU belt for years and I just can’t go back to a belt with set increments of adjustment.

If anything the only downside so far is it’s so stiff it takes an extra few seconds to feed the loose end into belt loops, and if you have extra belt past the loop it will stick out unless you use the keeper it comes with. You could cut it exactly so it just ends at a belt loop, but unless you wear the same pants all the time the belt loop spacings vary.

All in all I like them, and have two.

Great review. I checked them out, Kore has a 10 inch track with 40 different adjustable size positions, wow!

Does anyone have any experience with the ‘Groove’ belts?

OkieStubble

I enabled myself and bought the nylon Nexbelt and a leather version, the cheaper Classic Expresso. Maybe someday I'll splurge for the "Crazy Horse"? (Both are on sale right now).

Their Supreme Appendix in black EDC is on sale right now for $62.00. I like the idea of them still being flexible for comfort while still stiff enough to hold your strap & gear.

Too many good modern belts to choose from, may have to just get one of each. :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There was a reason I went with Kore over the other ratchet belts, but for the life of me I can’t remember. Price point wasn’t a factor.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Their Supreme Appendix in black EDC is on sale right now for $62.00. I like the idea of them still being flexible for comfort while still stiff enough to hold your strap & gear.

Too many good modern belts to choose from, may have to just get one of each. :)
Standard B&B protocol.

image.jpgSeveral holsters Also. One Wilson Combat snuck in

Top Bottom