What's new

SV grail bowl

Yes, I have one. It's a very high quality product that has been made much like products from about a hundred years ago. It's very nice.

There is also a YouTube video from Mark at Friendship Shaving that shows use of the grail bowl. There may be others, but that's just one that I've seen.

I'm sure it's nice and all, but rather extravagant, IMHO. I would think twice about things that would break if they were dropped when you are shaving with slippery hands.

I hear ya, but I can't go through life thinking that way. The bathroom is a tough environment for anything to drop, except plastic.

Besides, that handle is beefier than most any shaving bowl I've ever seen. I'd take a chance with it.🙂

I hear ya, but I can't go through life thinking that way. The bathroom is a tough environment for anything to drop, except plastic.

Besides, that handle is beefier than most any shaving bowl I've ever seen. I'd take a chance with it.🙂

Oh, I don't know. I'm mostly about function, but there's a time and place for everything. The Pereira shaving bowl is made of very nice plastic that could probably be tossed off the top of a tall building and survive the drop. It almost feels like wood.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
That's a nice looking bowl - but it is probably macht nichts for those of us in the US - it isn't presently listed as available on the US version of SV's website ..

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think I'll stick with CaYuen bowls...... Virtually unbreakable... Rich has a stunning variety of bowl options. Roughly the same price as the SV bowl... This from a guy who has 4 SV brushes and absolutely loves them.

I think I'll stick with CaYuen bowls...... Virtually unbreakable... Rich has a stunning variety of bowl options. Roughly the same price as the SV bowl... This from a guy who has 4 SV brushes and absolutely loves them.
I also have the CaYuen bowl and although it is well made and works well I have found that the Hendrix & Co. stainless bowl is superior. Easy to use, lathers quickly and easy to clean.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I also have the CaYuen bowl and although it is well made and works well I have found that the Hendrix & Co. stainless bowl is superior. Easy to use, lathers quickly and easy to clean.
I almost bought one of those very early on.... I saw them repeatedly on several Face Book shaving groups, before I found B&B. I think I enjoy looking at the CaYuen bowls and that's a large part of the attraction for me. I do like how quick and easy they are to use. I can see how a stainless-steel bowl would clean up in a jiffy though... That makes sense.

To me the handle is superfluous on the SV shaving bowl. I’ve never had a problem holding my Timeless bowl or Captain’s Choice copper bowl or either of the ceramic bowls I’ve owned. And I wear a medium sized glove so I definitely don’t have huge hands.

Also, what do you do with the bowl while you’re shaving? Are you supposed to set it on the sink? Better set it down perfectly strait or it’s going to fall. If you barely bump it, it’s going to fall. I leave my brush in my Timeless bowl while I shave. Can’t do that with the SV bowl or it will probably tip over.

This is form over function. I detest that.

The bowl is very nice indeed, and if you bowl lather, it would be a pleasure to use it every day. A quality item.
Sometimes if you like something a lot, then buy it. You'll regret not buying it if it ever went out of production.
I've an SV brush, beautifully made, so I suspect the bowl will be too.

I love sv and this bowl looks great, i own one. It’s durable lightweight wood. I wouldn’t worry about dropping it.

However, it has flaws for me.
It’s too small
It’s expensive
The handle/bowl disassembles. It uses a gasket to connect. It’s kind of janky.
The top of the handle(which acts as the bottom of the bowl has these massive indents to hold your soap, i think. They are too deep.

The sv olive wood bowl is a better design.

All that said, i never lather in a bowl, so i use these to hold hand soap by the sink.

Having a reconsider after thinking it through and all your guys' comments regarding form over function.

What would be an alternative bowl that looks nice too? Ideally from a UK/European based vendor so I don't get hammered too bad with taxes

Top Bottom