What's new

Sunday Hate Money?

Absolutely legitimate and by a well respected member. Why someone has a problem with it and want's to start a thread criticizing what another wants to spend is a bit in poor taste.

I don't want to say any more, I was simply trying to answer the question by @Black Adder , but this thread is clearly someone's reaction to that
Thank you, and I agree.

Not exactly. I think it’s legitimate to inquire, explore, and have a curiosity about what would compel somebody to pay up $500 for an aftershave or tub of shaving cream. I am still left wondering? Maybe a buyer of such goods could DM to appease my simple inquiring mind.

Reactions: nav
IMHO I think is good that someone that has the means to indulge on something “expensive” if thats their taste and desire.

I rather see that money to be around and be switching owners than sitting on a vault on the back of a bank.

Its also a matter of perspective, for that person expending $500 on a “top tier” soap and aftershave might be something of a bargain, for us mere peasants might be “stupid” or whatever, but because our means just don’t reach that far!

Why would someone buy a million dollar horse when you can buy a perfectly trained well tempered horse for a thousand dollar?

The million dollar horse is gonna get you inside some exclusive circles and is gonna make you more money thru social relations…the thousand dollar horse is gonna get you thru some pleasant trail ride.

So maybe…the $500 dollar soap and aftershave is gonna help this guy get a home run with a beautiful girl that delights on a “rich” scented guy.

For us, some Tabac and Clubman gets us to enjoy a nice evening romantic dinner with our wives!

Everybody wins!

I'm not going to jump on the "eat the rich" bandwagon. I do have a personal budget and most times I stay within that budget. Sometimes I will exceed it on all sorts of things.

As with regard to shaving soaps and splashes/balms, I have a different approach in that I like to patronize small businesses like Stirling and hopefully soon, Moon.

Never begrudge the guy spending $500.00 because he can as you hold out your $30.00 for what you want. Because somewhere close by, there's another guy holding out a $5.00 bill scoffing at your "wealth".

It's all relative.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used to have a pretty decent job... we used to eat out at restaurants quite a bit.... That business went south (long story... hi tech bubble burst) and our income decreased quite a bit, but old habits can die slowly. We had a much smaller budget but one month, I totaled up the purchases for that month for restaurants alone... and it wasn't a "big" month... just "normal"... $600... and this was years ago now but just the two of us.. our kids had already left the nest... and none of the meals were that expensive.. it wasn't like we were celebrating an anniversary or anything... just being too lazy to cook. We had to make some adjustments.

You tend to spend the available money naturally, unless you pay closer attention. We started cooking more... and truth be told, the meals we make are better anyway.

My meandering point is... we can choose how we spend our money. What's normal for one person isn't the same for someone else. When I showed up here, I had already spent a fair amount on my shaving gear. I was surprised I spent $160 on a razor... after buying almost every new Gillette handle that came out since 1973 for next to nothing.

Of course, after being here, I've learned you can spend a lot more for a razor than $160 (now.... to make myself feel better... I remind myself... I got a stand too for that price) ;)

What makes a $500 AS worth the price point? Some exotic ingredient, ground elephant tusk, gold dust, unicorn 🦄 salvia…or is it just a status thing?

Truth be told, $500 is still cheaper than collecting cars, sail boats, or new wives!! (Much cheaper!!):a21::a21:
I can sell the collector cars and sailboats possibly for a profit. I still get loads of laughs hearing about what another guy has to put with from my ex-wife 😅.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
IMHO I think is good that someone that has the means to indulge on something “expensive” if thats their taste and desire.

I rather see that money to be around and be switching owners than sitting on a vault on the back of a bank.

Its also a matter of perspective, for that person expending $500 on a “top tier” soap and aftershave might be something of a bargain, for us mere peasants might be “stupid” or whatever, but because our means just don’t reach that far!

Why would someone buy a million dollar horse when you can buy a perfectly trained well tempered horse for a thousand dollar?

The million dollar horse is gonna get you inside some exclusive circles and is gonna make you more money thru social relations…the thousand dollar horse is gonna get you thru some pleasant trail ride.

So maybe…the $500 dollar soap and aftershave is gonna help this guy get a home run with a beautiful girl that delights on a “rich” scented guy.

For us, some Tabac and Clubman gets us to enjoy a nice evening romantic dinner with our wives!

Everybody wins!

Wise thoughts! And, I hope that he remembers, he might draw the ladies attention with a fine accoutrement, but he better have something more substantial in his personality, if he intends on keeping her. ;)

I too love Tabac, mostly for its top tier performance! But I've become a true believer in Stirling soaps. I still like Proraso but, even Tabac and Stirling beats Proraso anyday of the week for me lol.

I'm not going to jump on the "eat the rich" bandwagon. I do have a personal budget and most times I stay within that budget. Sometimes I will exceed it on all sorts of things.

As with regard to shaving soaps and splashes/balms, I have a different approach in that I like to patronize small businesses like Stirling and hopefully soon, Moon.

Never begrudge the guy spending $500.00 because he can as you hold out your $30.00 for what you want. Because somewhere close by, there's another guy holding out a $5.00 bill scoffing at your "wealth".

It's all relative.

Hey now, we aint cannibals here, no need to eat the rich. 🤣 If there is any patronizing that needs to be done, you need to deliver it to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, because someone over there has a nasty attitude, lets just say I got emailed after leaving some feedback with their feedback review system, and they were not too friendly because I said something negative.

Regarding your last statement, never begrudge the guy spending $500, as he can just as easily begrudge you, holding out your $30.00, very wise statement indeed. Sometimes we can lose sight of this, and get all caught up in the little things that don't really matter.

I used to have a pretty decent job... we used to eat out at restaurants quite a bit.... That business went south (long story... hi tech bubble burst) and our income decreased quite a bit, but old habits can die slowly. We had a much smaller budget but one month, I totaled up the purchases for that month for restaurants alone... and it wasn't a "big" month... just "normal"... $600... and this was years ago now but just the two of us.. our kids had already left the nest... and none of the meals were that expensive.. it wasn't like we were celebrating an anniversary or anything... just being too lazy to cook. We had to make some adjustments.

You tend to spend the available money naturally, unless you pay closer attention. We started cooking more... and truth be told, the meals we make are better anyway.

My meandering point is... we can choose how we spend our money. What's normal for one person isn't the same for someone else. When I showed up here, I had already spent a fair amount on my shaving gear. I was surprised I spent $160 on a razor... after buying almost every new Gillette handle that came out since 1973 for next to nothing.

Of course, after being here, I've learned you can spend a lot more for a razor than $160 (now.... to make myself feel better... I remind myself... I got a stand too for that price) ;)

Hey Phoenix, I am glad that you learned this. In the land of razors, there is a huge price range, between the super cheap, and the super expensive. I've seen adjustable razors on this site that cost nearly 1000 dollars with gold rings, they are so expensive, I wouldn't feel right owning that. Its like owning a piece of gold jewlery, you better lock it up, or it will get stolen lol.

But all of us have our budgets, each of us are different. There was a time when I didn't think I would spend 222 dollars on a razor, or 370 dollars on a pair of high end boots. But after I made said purchases, I look at myself in the mirror and I say, who the heck am I! :crazy: But in fairness, I will say, after owning and using my Rex Ambassador, I won't choose anything else, I feel like I have it made!

What makes a $500 AS worth the price point? Some exotic ingredient, ground elephant tusk, gold dust, unicorn 🦄 salvia…or is it just a status thing?

I am not exactly sure Possum, but I can tell you one thing, I want me some of that unicorn magic, so that I can make myself richer then Bill Gates, so I can buy everything I want, and give the rest to charity. But thats a new talking point for a different time, what would you do if you have access to Unicorn magic? LOL!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, I am certainly not rich, (at least not monetarily), but others might disagree if they saw my shave den and my receipts for razors, strops, soaps, blades, storage case, pre-shave/post-shave lotions, stands, towels, bowls, and other rabbit hole possessions!
I stop totaling up how much I've spend on camera gear since I got into digital photograph in 2010. I don't really want to know. ;)

I fell in love with the wading birds here in Florida.... I can get close... but not close enough that I don't need good gear.

I stop totaling up how much I've spend on camera gear since I got into digital photograph in 2010. I don't really want to know. ;)

I fell in love with the wading birds here in Florida.... I can get close... but not close enough that I don't need good gear.
Sounds great!!!!! I agree, I don’t want to know how much I have spent on my shaving hobby. That’s my business and makes me happy.
Please send me some pictures of those wading birds. My wife wakes up early when we go the the Florida panhandle on vacations so she can get out and take pictures of the big birds on the beach area.

Wise thoughts! And, I hope that he remembers, he might draw the ladies attention with a fine accoutrement, but he better have something more substantial in his personality, if he intends on keeping her. ;)

I too love Tabac, mostly for its top tier performance! But I've become a true believer in Stirling soaps. I still like Proraso but, even Tabac and Stirling beats Proraso anyday of the week for me lol.

Hey now, we aint cannibals here, no need to eat the rich. 🤣 If there is any patronizing that needs to be done, you need to deliver it to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, because someone over there has a nasty attitude, lets just say I got emailed after leaving some feedback with their feedback review system, and they were not too friendly because I said something negative.

Regarding your last statement, never begrudge the guy spending $500, as he can just as easily begrudge you, holding out your $30.00, very wise statement indeed. Sometimes we can lose sight of this, and get all caught up in the little things that don't really matter.

Hey Phoenix, I am glad that you learned this. In the land of razors, there is a huge price range, between the super cheap, and the super expensive. I've seen adjustable razors on this site that cost nearly 1000 dollars with gold rings, they are so expensive, I wouldn't feel right owning that. Its like owning a piece of gold jewlery, you better lock it up, or it will get stolen lol.

But all of us have our budgets, each of us are different. There was a time when I didn't think I would spend 222 dollars on a razor, or 370 dollars on a pair of high end boots. But after I made said purchases, I look at myself in the mirror and I say, who the heck am I! :crazy: But in fairness, I will say, after owning and using my Rex Ambassador, I won't choose anything else, I feel like I have it made!

I am not exactly sure Possum, but I can tell you one thing, I want me some of that unicorn magic, so that I can make myself richer then Bill Gates, so I can buy everything I want, and give the rest to charity. But thats a new talking point for a different time, what would you do if you have access to Unicorn magic? LOL!
If anybody wants to PIF some $500 unicorn 🦄 AS, I am game for testing a sample. Guessing the experience would be similar to expensive caviars, white truffles, cigars, wine, and liquors. It would start a great discussion over a few beers with friends.

Well, I am certainly not rich, (at least not monetarily), but others might disagree if they saw my shave den and my receipts for razors, strops, soaps, blades, storage case, pre-shave/post-shave lotions, stands, towels, bowls, and other rabbit hole possessions!
You‘re truly a rich man if what you have makes you happy and improves your quality of life.

Warren Buffet's home, where he lives now and has for the last six decades, for perspective. It's actually quite nice, and now worth about $1.2M, but he purchased it in 1958 for $31,500 (he calls it his third best investment). And considering his net worth (just shy of $130B - yes, with a '"B") a pretty modest property. He had this to say about it....

“How would I improve my life by having 10 houses around the globe? If I wanted to become a superintendent of housing … I could have as a profession, but I don’t want to manage 10 houses and I don’t want somebody else doing it for me and I don’t know why the hell I’d be happier.”

proxy.php

Top Bottom