What's new

Sunday Hate Money?

I must be the minority, because I would never spend $465 on a container of shaving soap and one matching bottle of AS. My wife would slap the common sense right back into me for even thinking about such a purchase. Really, $500 for soap and AS...what could possibly make you want to pull the trigger because it’s custom blended? I‘ve seen some crazy stuff on B&B this week…keep it coming.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I must be the minority, because I would never spend $465 on a container of shaving soap and one matching bottle of AS. My wife would slap the common sense right back into me for even thinking about such a purchase. Really, $500 for soap and AS...what could possibly make you want to pull the trigger because it’s custom blended? I‘ve seen some crazy stuff on B&B this week…keep it coming.

Yep, everybody have different budgets. For you and I, we agree that spending 450 dollars on soap is utterly ridiculous. But rich people have no qualms over paying that much. We all live different lives, and for those of us who have less income, it doesn't make sense to us.

But rich people spend a heck of a lot more money then we do. And if you think about it, as long as rich people are spending like that, they are also paying much more sales tax then we do, which helps to boost the economy.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think we're in the majority brother I see far more using Arko, Proraso on here than people spending $ 500 on soap and aftershave if they have the means to do it more power to them. Me I'll stick to the more affordable soaps and aftershaves and im more than happy with that. For me the most would spend on soaps would be around £20 for soap and aftershave. I'm quite happy with Sterling and Lothar as my top teir software but that's just me.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In fairness, there are lots of matters about which I am not overly concerned and which frankly are none of my business, including how others spend their money. That does not preclude me from having an opinion on those matters and expressing that opinion on a discussion forum related to the subject. If we limit ourselves to commenting only on important subjects which directly concern us then B&B will be even quieter than it already is. 👍

In fairness, there are lots of matters about which I am not overly concerned and which frankly are none of my business, including how others spend their money. That does not preclude me from having an opinion on those matters and expressing that opinion on a discussion forum related to the subject. If we limit ourselves to commenting only on important subjects which directly concern us then B&B will be even quieter than it already is. 👍
Your comment wasn't critical or opinionated, it was actually funny.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think we're in the majority brother I see far more using Arko, Proraso on here than people spending $ 500 on soap and aftershave if they have the means to do it more power to them. Me I'll stick to the more affordable soaps and aftershaves and im more than happy with that. For me the most would spend on soaps would be around £20 for soap and aftershave. I'm quite happy with Sterling and Lothar as my top teir software but that's just me.

I totally agree with you, I think most of us spend the more realistic amount of money on soaps. I think 20 dollars is most certainly at the upper end of shave soap costs. Heck, you can get a barbers 500ml amount of Prorasso Shaving cream for around 20 dollars.

My Tabac Original cost me slightly more around 24.99, but thats because it came with the ceramic bowl, which I do like, looks excellent. The individual Tabac pucks for it I think are around 14.99. I don't plan to buy soaps much more then that.

Incase I didn't say this on the site yet, I've decided to take a deep dive into Prorasso stuff. Tabac is nice and all but, there's only 1 scent, I mean come on Tabac what they heck you doing to us here? We want more scents! So I am converting all my latest supply purchasing to Prorasso.

I got to get their eucalyptus shaving hard soap, and then I am going to start buying some of their creams as well. I am also getting their shaving balm, cause I know I am going to want that. HEHE - As I said, a deep dive into Prorasso lol.

I enjoy mostly vintage soaps and aftershaves as the scents remind me of my Father and of my childhood; I guess I am fortunate that my Father was not a millionaire 😆

Awww now that was very heartfelt, what a great post! I lost my mom and dad when I was 19, life hasn't been easy or the same without them. I can understand how scents are very powerful, and can take us back to the past.

100% agreed, and on point. Very well said sir!

So what, it’s their money. I’ll never understand why some people are so concerned with how other people spend their money.
So what, it’s their money. I’ll never understand why some people are so concerned with how other people spend their money.
Not concerned, but laughable and ridiculous at times what rich people place value on in their lives.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Some people pay £1000+ for a watch.
I try to keep it under £40.

Some people pay £500+ for a pair of shoes.
I try to keep it under £30.

Some people would gladly pay more than that soap and aftershave cost, on a single bottle of wine, and polish it off in an evening. Others might blow it on a concert ticket, or a tattoo.

I don't particularly understand wanting to spend that kind of money on any of those things, but don't necessarily feel the need to mock them for it either.

I recently saw some statistics on wealth distribution. The top 10% of wealthy people in the USA hold 70% of the total wealth. The USA has 700 billionaires and approximately 22 million people with assets exceeding $1 million. That represents about 6% of the overall population. While that 6% of the population likely could afford to spend $500 on a soap/aftershave combination, that does not mean they would do so. Many people who have reached millionaire status have amassed their wealth over a lifetime of careful spending and saving. The financial disciplines that got them there are not easily forgotten. Thus, for those of you who have not yet amassed their first million, I suggest you purchase a less expensive soap and aftershave and save the rest toward retirement.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
+1

Was there some historic, groundbreaking news item or post here on B&B that sparked this thread? I couldn't care less about how others spend their money, just curious about what sparked this discussion.....

I think the OP is in response to a recent post in the BST ;)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I can think of only a couple of reasons why folks spend money of high ticked items for $450 dollars on soap or aftershaves and they know it is over priced.
Why then? Lots of times it is for a fund raiser (Tax right offs for some) or certain individuals we have all seen or known that crave for a lot of attention.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Was it a legitimate sale in the BST?
Absolutely legitimate and by a well respected member. Why someone has a problem with it and want's to start a thread criticizing what another wants to spend is a bit in poor taste.

I don't want to say any more, I was simply trying to answer the question by @Black Adder , but this thread is clearly someone's reaction to that

You said it best in your earlier post, why be concerned with how others spend their money? Or I'll just let Bertram Cooper say it

Last edited:
Top Bottom