What's new

Suit recommendations - help needed

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sorry, I didn't explain clearly enough. Most of the office wears the polos, but most of "my level" and ALL of those above wear suits of some degree (some wear blazer with slacks, a couple wear full 3-piece suits, etc.) So a suit won't be out of place for me, at all. And I will definitely need one the days I am meeting with Corporate officers... they're all wearing them - unless it's a golf meeting.

That's a great idea, I didn't even think of blazers. I might look into that more.

Part of the reasoning for the suggestion that I upgrade my wardrobe is that I am expecting another promotion by year's end, as well, once I complete my licensing. Once licensed, it's been pretty much put in writing that I will become a manager, as our office has over 100 employees, but currently only 4 licensed architects (I will be #5...) So this upgrade is just the first step in what I foresee to be many more upgrades. On a plus side, the Manager's promotion will come with a decent pay increase! :thumbup:

This said, don't *****-foot around with cheap "this'll do for now" suits.

we're talking about your career here, so go big or go home. But one great suit that you will be glad you have five years from now (after the promotions &c.) When the budget allows, buy a second.

If he's wearing it daily, I would say that it's more important to get multiple suits and rotate them, even if that means skimping on the quality a bit. As long as they fit and are tailored well, they'll look better than most dudes. Spending big on one suit without the ability to get another one in the near future will result in a worn out suit sooner rather than later. This is why the blazer solution may work for the OP, as he saves up for better business wear.

If you are looking for versatility I would get 3 piece suits for ultimate versatility with a single suit.

You are going to need multiple suits but I would buy good suits even if I had to go in debt. You get what you pay for with suits. I stay conservative & have suits that are 20 plus years old & still look excellent. The three piece is good advice & if you can get an extra pair of trousers also.

You are going to need multiple suits but I would buy good suits even if I had to go in debt. You get what you pay for with suits. I stay conservative & have suits that are 20 plus years old & still look excellent. The three piece is good advice & if you can get an extra pair of trousers also.

This is a bit of financial and not sartorial advice, but no, don't go into debt for a suit. Wasting interest money is detrimental to your wardrobe in the long term. Buying quality is one thing, going $1000 into debt (which is what he'd be doing if he bought a few quality $500+ suits) is just a bad idea when there are many other stopgap measures available while he can save up.

If you are looking for versatility I would get 3 piece suits for ultimate versatility with a single suit.

Eh, maybe. However 3-pieces tend to be more expensive, due to the, well, extra piece. At the same time they're only moderately more versatile. I would say it's better to put the money into accessories (e.g. ties, tie bars, pocket squares, shirts, even sweater vests or other "third pieces) than go for a three-piece off the bat.

^^ I completely agree with your point on finances but I respectfully disagree on the 3-piece

At the price point he's looking at the additional cost is marginal at best and, at least in my experience, greatly outweighed by the additional utility. If he were considering purchasing a MTM suit then perhaps the $200-$350 cost differential wouldn't be worth it, but a vested option at Macy's or Men's Warehouse is rarely more than $30 more. I suspect there are some cooler days in Maryland when he would be happy to have a little extra fabric insulating him. Also, while I agree that a vest may not be quite as versatile as a tie, I would submit that a solid navy or charcoal vest can be worn with a variety of other combos other than the suit they came with.

All that being said, I still believe that a couple quality sportcoats/blazers are a better first step

Just my .02

Last edited:
I suspect there are some cooler days in Maryland

I was born and raised in Maryland with Family still there. You can go from well over 100 to 0 or below there. The vest will help in the fall and through the summer go without the jacket and still look put together. As with everything YMMV and all comes down to personal preference.

If buying off the rack you also have to consider alterations. I usually spend $120-160 extra for alterations at a mall in Waldorf, MD which has an excellent tailor. So depending on cost effectiveness MTM could come in at a similar price. You could always look at suitsupply in DC as an option. I am not sure where in MD you are locate though.

I have to completely agree with the find a tailor suggestions. No matter how much or little you spend on the suit, you're going to have to have the little details done to it. A good tailor is going to be as important as your barber/hairdresser.

I was born and raised in Maryland with Family still there. You can go from well over 100 to 0 or below there. The vest will help in the fall and through the summer go without the jacket and still look put together.

If buying off the rack you also have to consider alterations. I usually spend $120-160 extra for alterations at a mall in Waldorf, MD which has an excellent tailor. So depending on cost effectiveness MTM could come in at a similar price. You could always look at suitsupply in DC as an option. I am not sure where in MD you are locate though.

I agree, Maryland weather is hit or miss. I'll look into the difference between 2- and 3-pieces. I like the idea of a sweater vest, though. As I watch the office, I'm second-guessing if I truly need a jacket or not. I will consult with my mentor and see what he thinks... (although, he's a khaki and polo guy, so probably not the best advice.)

I work in Frederick, so DC and Waldorf aren't TOO out of the way, but I am also looking for a tailor somewhere here in town, for convenience.

Dumb question - what's "MTM"?

I have to completely agree with the find a tailor suggestions. No matter how much or little you spend on the suit, you're going to have to have the little details done to it. A good tailor is going to be as important as your barber/hairdresser.

Any tips on finding a good tailor? I've asked a bunch of people and all looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

Had to laugh about the barber comment, though - I've been cutting my own hair for about 20 years (clipper cut down to scalp...not Mr. Clean smooth, but short enough for me). :biggrin1:

I work in Frederick, so DC and Waldorf aren't TOO out of the way, but I am also looking for a tailor somewhere here in town, for convenience.

Since you live in Frederick, you may want to jump over to the outlets in Hagerstown. I live not too far from you and I have found many good deals up in Hagerstown. You can find some great shirts and slacks that will help you round out a wardrobe. The outlet prices are usually excellent and the quality of the clothing I have purchased there has been excellent.

For a tailor find some people that dress and ask where they go. When you find one ask to see some of the tailors work especially a jacket to make sure it looks smooth and the shape is not off. You could also go to a men's store and ask who they recommend. The Hagerstown Outlets are nice, if I remember right there is a Banana Republic(suits should require minimal alterations) and a Brooks Brothers(can be out of your price range unless there is a good sale). Check Georgetown one weekend the have some great stores.

I also agree that thrift stores can sometimes yield very nice suits, especially if you look around nicer neighborhoods where the thrift stores are local. Goodwill often ships merchandise around the country, rather than keeping it where it was donated, but local shops don't have anywhere to ship so it will stay put. Look at the material and degree of wear on the suit. Specifically, look at the elbows, back and the seat of the pants. Check the seams for tears. Unstitched seams can be re-stitched but you don't want to have visible repair work on tears if you can avoid it. Also make sure the jacket lining is in good shape. If it's discolored, torn, or hangs off the fabric (a sign it was washed instead of dry cleaned) then pass unless you love the suit so much you want to pay to have it re-lined. Also, obviously, try it on to determine the fit.

good advice here, if you take this approach, hold the pants up to the light and see if the fabric has got really thin. This is usually the reason I replace a suit (and why I always buy an extra pair of pants when I buy a new one).

You go cheap on suits & its going to cost you in the long run. If your job requires you to dress well then I don't see where going into debt to buy those suits is a bad idea. You are judged by the way you dress.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You go cheap on suits & its going to cost you in the long run. If your job requires you to dress well then I don't see where going into debt to buy those suits is a bad idea. You are judged by the way you dress.

+1

Buying unobtrusive quality garments on a relatively frequent basis until one has a decent base wardrobe is not going to put an undue strain on the sort of income this chap will be getting.

$1000 now. Get one good suit.

Even if it means cutting back on other expenses, he can have enough saved within 3-4 months to get another suit. No, he doesn't have to maintain that level of expenditure ... just briefly until he has 2-3 suits, and then ease off and hit the "end of season sales" once or twice a year and add another suit.

I think one thing that people don't realize when looking down the pipe at a large expenditure on clothing, is most Americans are accustomed to subsidized store bought throw away clothing, and the price of real garments brings sticker shock. Kind of like the first time you get a mortgage. You need to think of a suit more like a car, and less like a paper towel. It's a long term investment.

Once you grow accustomed to it, you will be in a place to appreciate the better clothing. Throw away suits are akin to paying rent vs a mortgage.

Top Bottom