What's new

Suggestion for the Newbie

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the world of wet shaving.

I've recently started using a DE razor and started out with getting both a Merkur HD and a Fat Boy. As you can see from this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52965

I was having a tougher time with the Fat Boy.

I think the Merkur is a great razor and gives you a chance to build from there. I will go back to give the Fat Boy a try, but I know I can always get a great shave with the Merkur.

As you get going also get some sampler packs of blades. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference there is between blades and what blade works for one person does not mean it works for the next person.

West Coast Shaving is where I got mine at.

http://westcoastshaving.com/

Good Luck and ask if you have questions.

Mark

34C and HD are the same.

Merkur 34C aka = Merkur HD, hefty classic, or heavy duty

Merkur 38C aka= long handled HD, or barber pole

Also, check out the review section on here if you haven't already.

I had a feeling the were the same!:001_smile

Thanks for all the help! thats pretty much all the questions I have.

Welcome blanc! Each person's face is as different as the next person's, and each blade/razor works better for some than others.

Personally I started off with a Merkur HD and had some good results.. however after visiting some antique shops around town I picked up some old gillettes and have had far better success with them compared to my HD.

Eventually you'll get yourself both (you can only resist the RAD for so long) and then can see which you prefer, but for starters I think either would be a great place to start.

Welcome to B&B! It has only begun!

Ok, I bought a 34C and a sample pack from westcoastshaving. Unfortunately I can't afford the brush or the soap at the moment so I am stuck with canned goo.:bored: Thanks again for all the help!

Blanc -

If your budget is tight, you may want to pick up some Proraso/CO Bigelow (rebranded Proraso) shave cream. The normal size tube is $10 and Bigelow has a travel size for only $5. My shaves really improved with Proraso when I was still using a Fusion. The Proraso will also lather pretty well in your hand without a brush, but you should save for a brush even if it is a $10 Tweezerman.

Mantic - I meant no disrespect by the "expert" label. Those were my words as your great videos have helped many of us beginners.

Top Bottom