What's new

Styptic Pencil vs. Alum Block

Hi All,

I just switched from a styptic pencil to a Taylor of Old Bond Street alum block. I find the alum block works better and doesn't leave a white paste behind on my face. The price was $16.00 for a 2.65 oz. and should last for a long, long time. I don't think it matters what brand you buy since... its just alum (and maybe some potassium something or other). Anyway, just wanted to share and hear other people's opinions.

-uid0

I have both. I used the pencil during the shave if necessary to stop a cut and after the shave I just run the alum block all over. However, my last step is always to slpash cold water on my face, so I never have the "white paste" problem you mention.

As far as I know the styptic pencil should be used on a spot, like on the weeper or cut itself and not spread all over your face. The alum block on the other hand should go over the entire face. Well, I skip the upper lip since I don't like how alum tastes.

You can buy a 6oz crystal, very nice and clean crystal, for $3.19. I bought mine for $3.60 IIRC from iHerb. It is a Lafes.

proxy.php

Top Bottom