What's new

Strop probs...

I have a light colored cowhide leather strop. Right in the middle of the strop the leather is turing black, presumably from metal particles I guess. I've never stripped on it with a dirty razor. Is that normal? Is there anything I can clean it with?

No. Haven't ever oiled it. I just rub it with my hands every day. Clean hands. The blackness is right in the area where I do stropping. It's coming off the razor. It has to be. Again, I suppose it's a buildup of microscopic metal partials. I can take a photo when I get back home.

I have an oil tanned one and it's discolored at the top but does not affect it's ability to strop so maybe just a discoloration in the leather, posting up pics may help

proxy.php

If it's not metal particles, it could be mold. Wipe the strop surface gently with a dampened sponge and see if comes off. If it comes off easily, chances are that it's mold.

It was an economy/value strop. Don't know how it was prepared. I find it hard to believe it's mold. It is in a clean, climate controlled, dry environment. Not in the bathroom. It does come off somewhat with a moistened cloth. I tested a little spot.

And you're using it regularly, and haven't recently left it unused for a spell, right? Did you notice the dark areas gradually start to build? If so, then yeah, it may not be mold. An unused strop can grow mold, even in a relatively balanced climate. I keep mine where the RH is pretty stable at 20%, and still have seen mold grow on one of mine after coming back from an extended trip.

Last edited:
Use it almost daily. Haven't had any period of un-use. Hard for me to believe it is mold but supposing it is how would I clean it? Would it be safe to use a lightly damp cloth or even a lightly soapy cloth with some kind of mild soap--maybe even shaving soap?

Jnatcat, you commented that he strop is untreated. Is there any kind of treatment I could apply to it? I was told that if I rub it daily it will eventually get a darker more seasoned look. If there is a way expedite that I would be all about that.

Strops are generally very tolerant of cleaning. I recommend a very lightly damp lint free rag. Cheap microfiber works great. Get it soggy wet and then wring out as much of the water as you can so that it is only slightly damp. Then vigorously rub. Don't be afraid to get it on a table and really go after it to get it clean. Then I let it sit for a day to let any water evaporate and gauge the strop to see if it needs any conditioner. If it does a tiny tiny amount of neatsfoot oil will usually do the trick. Two drops rubbed between my palms to get it warm and then vigorous palm rubbing will apply just a tiny bit of needed conditioner. Remember you can always add, but it is the devil to remove so think less is more.

Strops are generally very tolerant of cleaning. I recommend a very lightly damp lint free rag. Cheap microfiber works great. Get it soggy wet and then wring out as much of the water as you can so that it is only slightly damp. Then vigorously rub. Don't be afraid to get it on a table and really go after it to get it clean. Then I let it sit for a day to let any water evaporate and gauge the strop to see if it needs any conditioner. If it does a tiny tiny amount of neatsfoot oil will usually do the trick. Two drops rubbed between my palms to get it warm and then vigorous palm rubbing will apply just a tiny bit of needed conditioner. Remember you can always add, but it is the devil to remove so think less is more.

This strikes me as sound advice.

Legion

Staff member
Don't stress. It is a buildup of microscopic steel. This is one of the reasons why many advocate a cloth component. If it doesnt improve the edge (debated), then it does clean any microscopic soap and oxidisation off the steel before it goes to the leather.

My leather strop is clean, but my white linen strop is darkening in places.

Interesting. I've not seen that much darkening from metal bits or oxides or whatever on a strop before.

Mastro Livi recommends using lighter fluid on rolled toiler paper. Rub lightly in one direction until the dark residue is removed. It works great on his skin strop. I mentioned it to Don at SRD and he later got back to me and said he really appreciated the heads up and it works great with no damage to the leather.

Top Bottom