What's new

Strop and Store Advice

Please advise a newbee...
If you strop after a shave ,is there a need to strop again prior?
When set in it's scale ...does environment affect the edge...
When storing...baby oil...petroleum jelly?
I lay my strop...from Larry ...flat on the sink...should I apply any pressure on passes ...or is razor weight enough?
Thanks gents...and Ladies Maybe???

Always strop before shaving. Stropping after the shave is debatable. Yes the environment affects the blade when the razor is closed. After you shave, dry the blade, between scales and pivot pin with TP, apply some mineral oil and store in a dry place. Petroleum jelly is used for long term storage. Never apply pressure when stropping. Also make sure the strop is taut, don't lift the spine and the blade edge should trail. If you apply pressure when stropping you might roll (damage) the edge.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Stropping after the shave ensures that the edge is clean and dry to a higher degree than visual inspection and wiping or rinsing will do. Stropping before the shave is desireable also, because of the elasticity of the steel. An edge that has been aligned and smoothed on a strop some time ago will have, to a degree, however significant it might or might not be, sprang back to its former state. I think, anyway.

For long term storage, petroleum jelly is great. In the short term, to be honest I don't use anything.

Pressure? The natural pressure of about a fingerweight, added to the weight of the razor, are sufficient. You don't want to lift the razor from the strop, or lose spine to strop contact, by floating the razor too lightly over the strop. OTOH, any more pressure than that and you are bowing the strop and rounding the edge. The more common mistake is too much pressure, so if you aren't sure, lighten up some more.

keep your razors AWAY from moisture..deep in bathroom cabinets is ok..but find a drawer in your bedroom where they will stay safe.

Top Bottom