What's new

Straightening a crooked belt

Anybody have a tip on how to straighten a crooked dress belt? I know it doesn't matter, but I hate it when a dress belt develops an S curve after wearing. Just one of my many little peeves.

I have really bad news for you. The belt isn't crooked, it's just conforming to the shape of your belly. So, forget about the belt and attack the root problem.

I have really bad news for you. The belt isn't crooked, it's just conforming to the shape of your belly. So, forget about the belt and attack the root problem.

I was about to say I have the same problem until I read this. So, I don't know what you are talking about. :wink:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've always alternated the direction I put my belt through the loops to counteract the effect. And yep . . . I ain't exactly thin.

Play nice. This isn't a fitness thread. He is asking about fixing an already warped belt.

I would think that if you press the belt between some heavy books and let it sit for a week or so, the belt will be restored to its original shape.

You might want to hasten the process by applying some leather treatment, and/or getting it wet ... but this may stain the finish and alter the original color.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The belt is deformed due to uneven stretching on one side as opposed to the other. If you were to hang it with weight, it would elongate overall, and still maintain the deformation. The other posters were right, the best way to straighten it would be to apply equal but opposite forces that caused the deformation to begin with, and that means run the belt through the other way and wear it like that until it evens out.

I was always concerned about belt curvture, until I spoke with a buddy of mine. He's older than I am, grew up on a farm, and knows a lot about products made to last. He told me that belts do that naturally and that some higer quality belts are made that way. I will try to find a the link that he showed me. Bottomline, I no longer worry.

The only belt I own that isn't curved is my duty belt. Even the double thick gun belt I wear with jeans has a nice curve to it.

He told me that belts do that naturally and that some higer quality belts are made that way.

Belts made that way use a larger piece of leather unless cut with a dye. That raises production cost, even factoring in the cost of the dye and clicker depreciating over time.

A belt worn daily, depending on its construction material, ie lighter or heavier leather will still warp. My old IPSC rig was two-ply 8/9 oz with a band of spring steel sandwiched between layers. Total thickness 1/4 of an inch. It warped in less than 2 years.

I say don't worry about it.

C

Chamukin

When you come back home, and before you dress your PJ, ROLL YOUR BELT AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN AND TIE IT WITH A RUBBER BAND. Keep it in that way all night long (at least). You won't have a brand new belt but it will keep a better shape. Good luck!!!!

When you come back home, and before you dress your PJ, ROLL YOUR BELT AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN AND TIE IT WITH A RUBBER BAND. Keep it in that way all night long (at least). You won't have a brand new belt but it will keep a better shape. Good luck!!!!

Negative. Rolling the belt tight stretches the outer skin of the leather, and when you straighten it out the belt will be wrinkled. NEVER roll a belt tight.

Welcome to B&B! I see you are practicing the art of thread resurrection with your very first post! :lol:

Top Bottom