What's new

Belt Care

TheShaun

Bejeweled
I have an AE dress belt that I wear often, but it has developed a scratch/scuff. Wondering if a gentle shoe polish over the area might hide it and then follow up with conditioning the whole belt.

Worried the shoe polish could transfer to my pants or shirt though.

Or transfer to upholstery....I have a black leather belt that I didn't apply anything extra to. It's not a department store belt, either. I bought it from a vendor who specialized in hand made belts. It has stained the seats in two of my vehicles.

lasta

Blade Biter
I wouldn't use shoe polish.

Saddle soap can help with maintenance, but I don't think anything will reverse the scuffing!

I think belts normally have some kind of clear sealant applied to the leather to avoid the problem of the dye rubbing off. Reconditioning would require stripping off the old sealant, applying some dye, and then re-applying a leather sealant.

Shoe polish would probably rub off. I understand the better leather dyes are oil-based instead of alcohol or water based. But you would need a sealant over top to keep the dye from rubbing off.

I used to make belts as a hobby. Even made one 2 months ago (for myself, I am a sucker for a good belt).

Do not put shoe polish. I am afraid there might be no way to remedy that scratch. You would need the material that has been used to coat that belt. Probably it has some specific coating that is not prone to scratches. If it were a simple vegetable tanned leather belt only smoothing it with pressing you finger would remedy the situation, but obviously it is not the case.

Top Bottom