What's new

Straight Razors and Movies

I read yesterday that Tim Burton is currently filming Sweeney Todd starring Johnny Depp. I would imagine that straight razors might make an appearance in that film.
:biggrin:

There was an EXCELLENT televisation of that done by the BBC last year. I really don't see how Johnny Depp can top it, much as I love the guy, he just isn't The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Yes, the movie is entirely based on the book, even too faithfully sometimes....the greatness of the scene tells how much Don Fabrizio Salina enjoyed his daily shave.

I think that paragraph sums up the pleasure and nature of Straight Razor shaving. I'll quote it when I find it, it's on page 26 (approx)...

I heard it's a musical....I am a bit disappointed, I was hoping some dark, Tim Burt a la Sleepy Hollow....

I've never seen The Leopard, although I've read the book (I'm assuming this is the same story).

I read yesterday that Tim Burton is currently filming Sweeney Todd starring Johnny Depp. I would imagine that straight razors might make an appearance in that film.
:biggrin:

Didn't John Cleese (as a British army officer) shave with a straight razor in "The Meaning of Life"?

Oh, how could I forget that? War, blood, guts and gore going on all around, and the only notice the officers take is when a Zulu spear shatters the shaving mirror.

I think there are two straight shaves in schindlers list. I might be wrong though. One by schindler and one by the Płaszow camp officer.

Nick

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Didn't John Cleese (as a British army officer) shave with a straight razor in "The Meaning of Life"?

Oh, how could I forget that? War, blood, guts and gore going on all around, and the only notice the officers take is when a Zulu spear shatters the shaving mirror.

I loved how he nonchalantly picked up a piece of the broken mirror and continued his shave.

Well I liked Reservoir Dogs because it shows how close a shave you can really give someone if you're determined, psychopathic and don't mind blood and hospital bills! :c6:

Just the other night I watched "North by Northwest". There was a scene when Cary Grant gets off the train in Chicago and uses a very tiny woman's DE to shave in station's mensroom. Next to him is a guy using a straight that just rolls his eyes and goes back to shaving while Cary Grant shaves.

The other day I noticed that in "Trading Places" there is a very brief scene where Colemann is giving a straight razor shave to Winthorp the III....

Not a movie but on Gunsmoke Matt Dillon gets caught in his office in the middle of a str8 shave when festus barges in. Runs down the street to confront the thug cowboys with shaving soap still on his face.

Rich

“Always do right. This will gratify some people & astonish the rest” – Mark Twain

Just the other night I watched "North by Northwest". There was a scene when Cary Grant gets off the train in Chicago and uses a very tiny woman's DE to shave in station's mensroom. Next to him is a guy using a straight that just rolls his eyes and goes back to shaving while Cary Grant shaves.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Nicholson gets a barber shop shave in "Chinatown." He also gets the inside of his nose "shaved" by Roman Polanski.

Top Bottom