What's new

straight razor restorers

I have been talking to several people about straight razors. the ladies at micro fasteners, Austin on eBay who makes all the dome washers honeycomb, cup washers all that. Texas knife supply. one place sells pins, another place sells washers, another place sells different specialty washers, and other places sell Woodstock for scales and another place for acrylics. I've been trying to put everything together in one store for people doing this. I think there are enough people that it would do good. I'm trying to convince them that selling less and selling more is the way to be the richest person on the planet like Sam Walton was lol.i just need to talk to all the restorers and see how they would have it and try to get it like that

I both feel like you're speaking to me (sorta, I suck at it but do it still), and feel like I don't know what you're saying.

You're talking to lots of people who sell restoration kit.

Now you're talking...to restorers here...and to them you're saying... That you talk to people about stuff? Err?

Unclear what you wish to communicate to people who restore razors. Are you trying to say you're open for business? That you are business? That we're business and you have an open sign and people like business? That business is an abstract concept and we shouldn't worry so much because unlike our razors we're not going to last very long anyway?

With anything I am 'in to' - I buy supplies from multiple sources, it's not an issue. In many ways it's an advantage actually.
I like dealing with different vendors, I don't like the idea of someone else keeping all my eggs in their one basket.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

With anything I am 'in to' - I buy supplies from multiple sources, it's not an issue. In many ways it's an advantage actually.
I like dealing with different vendors, I don't like the idea of someone else keeping all my eggs in their one basket.
Concur -- now, if the idea was to compile and post an itemized list of the different restoration supplies and the (reputable) vendors that offer those items (i.e., websites or phone #s), that's another story. I can handle contacting and dealing with vendors, my issue has been not knowing either where to begin the search or who is out there offering what products and services (yes, I know how to Google, but it starts somewhere). Unless a sticky with a list of vendors already exists (and I'm not aware of it), that would seem to be more beneficial than building a store, if that's indeed what we're talking about...

I both feel like you're speaking to me (sorta, I suck at it but do it still), and feel like I don't know what you're saying.

You're talking to lots of people who sell restoration kit.

Now you're talking...to restorers here...and to them you're saying... That you talk to people about stuff? Err?

Unclear what you wish to communicate to people who restore razors. Are you trying to say you're open for business? That you are business? That we're business and you have an open sign and people like business? That business is an abstract concept and we shouldn't worry so much because unlike our razors we're not going to last very long anyway?
11B29575-2203-4E9A-959E-0F0FC666DE80.gif

Concur -- now, if the idea....

The idea was that the world needed a new FB page listing/selling supplies because....

'things/info' "could not be found".

I have asked more than once - what are those things?

Crickets.
To me, the idea seems like a solution to a non existent problem.

Making a mountain out of a molehill is a key component in many FUD tactics.
I usually file stuff like this under 'solutions looking for a problem'.

Personally, I don't see a need for a directory, or a list, or whatever. Washers and pins are not national secrets, neither is anything else we use. I've restored a ton of razors, never once was I unable to find what I needed.
Maybe finding an Oosik bone would be difficult but then again maybe is should be difficult to find one.
And who decides who is and is not 'reputable'?
And how many disreputable straight razor restoration suppliers are there anyway?

I really don't want someone I don't know telling me where to find stuff, I never know what their motives are or who they are ignoring or befriending and/or for what reasons. Often, people doing things like this are getting kickbacks for directing people to certain sites. I don't mind clicking on an affiliate link on a YT vid when the creator has been transparent with their intentions.
But someone just showing up out of nowhere, picking everyone's brain on the board for info, trying to set up a private FB page where he will be directing customers to vendors.... when anyone can just come to this forum to find out what they need to know...
Not for me.... not a working scenario IMO, smells sketchy, and I do not see a need for it.

If people really feel the need, it would be straightforward to create a wiki page, or section of an existing page, that has the contact details of known (to this community) competent and reliable restorers, much in the way we maintain a list of people whom we trust to hone razors for people...

Probably moot at this point, but I don't think it was about restorers as much as parts suppliers. Either way I never could parse what the fellah was trying to say, and he never clarified. But, a list in the wiki isn't a bad idea, except that keeping it up to date would be challenging. I can think of a handful of places to get washers, pin kits, or scale blanks, but not everybody has stuff in stock all the time. Still, I've never had problems finding sources when I need them. So...

Top Bottom