What's new

Straight Razor for Beginner

This is, I am sure, a common question--I am looking for new straight razor suggestions. For a couple of years, I have been shaving with a DE razor (typically using a slanted Merkur barber pole 39/C, with Feather blades, a Simpson brush, and uberlather of different origins). A few weeks ago, however, I started using a Parker shavette, loaded with one of my Feathers. After some learning and several mistakes, I am impressed with the quality of the shave and the smoothness that I have been getting, which clearly surpasses the one from the DE razor. I am now ready to get my first straight with all the fixings to hone and strop. My beard is coarse and grows in different several directions, but is not particularly tough. If possible, I'd prefer not to spend more than $150 in the razor, but at the same time get something of lasting quality. What would you suggest that I buy? Thank you very much!

The standard answer is a whippeddog sight unseen deal with the poor man's strop so if you mess it up it doesn't matter. Personally the new straights have no allure to me; so with your budget I'd do the sight unseen and then keep on the look out for a second and a third straight that call to you. Any good vintage straight will outlast your lifetime and probably that of any children.

Take a look at the Feather AC RG. This is a really nice, top of the line, disposable blade straight. The shaves with this razor are some of the best from any straight.

Top Bottom