What's new

Stop using shaving cream! Apparently...

with a cartridge razor that has those fancy lube strips you might just get away with a lot of water only for lubrication. I'd never do this with a DE.

I'm confused-when i was shaving with a multi-bladed monster or the electrical beast, I had razor bumps, ingrown hairs,road rash, PFB for days, and a sore face.

Now that I am shaving with a DE, using various shave creams and shave soaps, my face has never been better. Now if this yahoo is right, i am supposed to give up my creams and my skin will improve.

I give up my creams when they pry the razor from my cold, dead hands.

Marty

+1 This sounds like Heresy

In this sense, it's not unlike food. You can eat something nutritious but not necessarily appetizing, solely for subsistence. Or you eat something soulful and flavorful that makes you smile. Either way, you have to eat, but one way is coldly efficient while the other can give you pleasure. We generally have to shave every day; which would you prefer, cold efficiency or warm fragrant pleasure? And what would you be doing instead that's so worthwhile that you need to save time for it and shave in twenty seconds?

true. Men can probably survive eating insects or other abominable things. Many did this for years to survive wars, droughts, desert islands, but it's not an enjoyable process.
I sometimes shaved ATG using only water during the military service (there were severe time constraints and not shaving was not an option) , and your skin can actually be accustomized to, given enough time and blood, but it's not advisable. It's a pain.
I've seen Touareg people travelling into the Akakus (part of Sahara) without drinking the whole day (we were constantly drinking and always thirsty)...people can adapt to the harshest conditions, but it's a hard process... why to suffer when soap (even common simple soap, at least, if you for some reason really HATE those big firms selling chemicals) is widely available, and there are natural soap makers?

No matter what the subject, there are always going to be people who profess
the exact opposite of what is the current "way of doing things". Sometimes
the opposite view has a point and can be discussed rationally. This one, I believe, is nonsense. Go ahead, scrape your face. I really don't care.

true. Men can probably survive eating insects or other abominable things. Many did this for years to survive wars, droughts, desert islands, but it's not an enjoyable process.
I sometimes shaved ATG using only water during the military service (there were severe time constraints and not shaving was not an option) , and your skin can actually be accustomized to, given enough time and blood, but it's not advisable. It's a pain.
I've seen Touareg people travelling into the Akakus (part of Sahara) without drinking the whole day (we were constantly drinking and always thirsty)...people can adapt to the harshest conditions, but it's a hard process... why to suffer when soap (even common simple soap, at least, if you for some reason really HATE those big firms selling chemicals) is widely available, and there are natural soap makers?

Well I'm very glad for this perspective: It looks like someone here has some experience with shaving ATG with only water. I always value opinions of people who have direct knowledge of something.

For what it's worth, the old time barber books teach that the first pass is done with lather from soap and the second pass ATG or XTG is done with water only. I couldn't believe it when I read it, but there it is: the old time barbers were taught to use water only when they did more than the once over shave.

Personally, I've never tried water only.

even if that guy is right and it can be done with just water. i prefer to "waste" my $6 on a tube of Proraso and have a soothing shave that smells good. :cool:

but i can agree that the aerosol can of soap-stuff is a joke.

Right there with you.

The author makes the assumption that we are slaves to marketing and are poor helpless individuals incapable of making our own minds up. I have shaved with just oil and got a reasonable shave but he essentially misses the point. We all enjoy the act of shaving and pampering ourselves. In a world that panders to the act of feminine beautification, I think, as men, we are all entitled to spoil ourselves in our own little oasis of calm, something he obviously does not understand.

This guy's rant is not really aimed at you, or making assumptions about you, though. Because it is based on the vast numbers of people all using cartridges and canned gel. For them, if the shave is just as good with just water, then all those cans of edge gel are a racket. I do think the guy makes a bit much of an assumption that because his face adjusted fine, everyone else's will too.

-Mo

20 seconds to shave???
I'd like to see that. I may even pay admission.
Like to see someone try that with a straight razor.
BS, pure and simple.

This is one of the articles I found along the way to discovering B&B, and proper shaving, a year ago.

He's correct that you can shave without shaving cream. I tried it, and it worked okay (I used aloe vera, and I used mineral oil).

He's wrong to say that shaving cream is pointless and worthless. I prefer using a good shave cream (or soap), even though I could do reasonably well without it. It comes down to preferences. As I think someone said earlier, you don't have to shave at all, but that doesn't make the whole shaving industry, if that's the word, a "racket".

I will admit, I found this article a couple of years ago and because I was unhappy with multiple blades and the cost I decided to try it. I actually went several months shaving with just water and while my cartridges lasted a little longer, my complexion suffered. I then decided to make another attempt to find a electric razor and my brother in law suggested the Panasonic wet and dry shaver. I 'googled' wet shaving and found this site. I spent about a couple of nights over the Christmas holiday researching and learning about wet shaving. Wow, and considering this is how I started shaving 30 years ago!
Yes, a racket was discovered, but it was the cartridge razor racket. Now that I am a proud owner of at least 20 vintage razors and 5-6 soaps, several creams and a couple of brushes, I am in pursuit of the perfect shave. I might not ever find it, but I am in pursuit!

I shaved this way for years with a Sensor Excel. This is how it went down:

I always shaved right after a shower, so the beard was softened.

I did it at most once every other day, to allow my skin time to recover.

The moisturizing strip on the Sensor Excel cartridge is actually quite good, and took most of the burn away.

I did a single with the grain pass - ATG, even a little, left me in HELLISH PAIN. :cursing:

So, basically, this guy is full of crap. I actually got better shaves when I could be bothered to use my Edge gel inna can, I was just usually too rushed/lazy to do so. Plus, I was never really clean shaven. I always had a faint shadow, since the blades didn't cut very close.

I would never ever ever want to go back to that. I would sooner shave with hand soap or butter.

I think this guy discounts the fact that people have different types of skin and are different genetically.

My Father gets a near flawless shave with a BIC disposable, a can of gel and about two minutes. He does three passes off of one lather of the gel. I have a friend who shaves with water only. I have another friend who has never washed his face in his life and he's had maybe five pimples in the 15 years I've known him.

If I tried to shave with just water, by day five my face would be one giant cyst from ingrown hairs.

That said: Who's hardcore enough to try it?!?!

Goo in can=bad for skin

Natural creams and soaps like Mama Bear's (etc.) that help the razor glide AND are good for your skin=pure shave goodness!

Top Bottom