What's new

Stirling Syndicate

So I've been browsing the site over at sterling soaps and there are so many choices that all look really good. If you don't mind recommending one, or several, tell me a little about your favorite one. I'm running low on soaps and it's time for some more.

Love the barbershop, just smells powdery and good. I have tried four of them, I'd rate them: barbershop, spice, electric sheep, clubman. I rate them on how I like the scent, they all are very close in shave quality. If I give the clubman and sheep a few more lathers, the sheep may beat out the rest. All their scents I've tried are excellent. They're cheap, their samples last a while, pick up several samples, ding which you like, and order a bigger puck. My samples have lasted me a good 15 shaves and probably have 5-7 shaves left in them.

My favorite is Executive Man,real nice take on Creed's Aventus.Mountain Man(Creed Silver Mtn. Water)and Ozark Mountain are my other 2 fav's.All perform fantastic,lather equally well.Pick a scent you like and enjoy!

I can wholeheartedly recommend Barbershop and Executive Man.
Barbershop has a scent that just seems to calm your nerves and bring you back to a simpler time.
Executive Man is a crisp & clean scent. I have nicknamed it "Panty Peeler", I won't go into why I have named it this....
Both soaps perform very well. They provide plenty of slick lather and pretty good cushion.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Barbershop and Executive Man.
Barbershop has a scent that just seems to calm your nerves and bring you back to a simpler time.
Executive Man is a crisp & clean scent. I have nicknamed it "Panty Peeler", I won't go into why I have named it this....
Both soaps perform very well. They provide plenty of slick lather and pretty good cushion.
:laugh:I wasn't going to describe the EM in that light,but that is the same nickname I gave it as well!!!Pair it up with Aventus or an Aventus "type" cologne(Club de Nuit,Intense Man is a great Aventus clone)and you will need a stick to keep the females away:lol:

I also like Executive Man; I've never tried a Creed Aventus type cologne but EM has a nice sophisticated scent. Sadly I only had a sample so I didn't have it long enough to test it's nickname ;)

Barbershop is also good-It has a bit of a sweet note to it that wouldn't make it a go-to for me but it reminds me of one of my grandfather's, so there's some nostalgia there.

I really enjoyed Frozen Tundra- Hard to describe but it's a lot like standing outside in a field in the middle of winter. You can smell the cold and a bit of earth mixed in. Also has a nice menthol kick to it.

Do you have any particular types of scents you like? That might help narrow it down.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My favorite soap is Texas on Fire. This is NOT a scent that everyone likes. It smells just like a Texas wildfire and my wife hates it. Having been involved with fighting some of those wildfires, it brings back lots of memories for me when I use it. If you're not into walking around smelling like a campfire I second the suggestions for Mountain Man, Executive Man, and Barbershop. I would also add Ben Franklin and Stirling Gentleman to the list.

I used Texas on Fire (Soap and AS) today because I'm smoking a Brisket, drinking a Lagavulin 16, and may have a cigar later. It's a very smokey day today.

All of these sounds really good. Most were some I probably would've picked myself by reading the ingredients. Probably gonna pick up a few samples and find which ones I like the best.

On another note, how do these compare performance wise to other tallow soaps? Like mass produced ones like mwf and tabac?

There will be a bunch of threads comparing Stirling to other soaps like tabac, B&M, Mike's, etc if you want a lot of info on that question, but for me Stirling is on par or slightly better than Tabac. Good slickness and post-shave for me, but not quite top-notch.
I can't say much for MWF but I use Haslinger regularly, which many compare to MWF, and I would put Stirling one step down from Haslinger or other top-notch tallow soaps like B&M. I have a slight sensitivity to almond oil, which is in Stirling's formula, so that affects the post-shave for me. Stirling is still a good-very good soap for me and they have some of the best samples in the business, so it's relatively easy to try out there soaps for a low cost.

On another note, how do these compare performance wise to other tallow soaps? Like mass produced ones like mwf and tabac?
Hmm, these are the two soaps I use, stirlings and mwf. The fat seems to be slicker, but I have been using it longer and I feel I can lather it better. Stirling does not lack in slickness by any stretch. Stirling seems to give better cushion, and I love the scents of all I've tried, and the scent of mwf. Mwf will cost you more, unless you buy the three puck refill(price per puck, not price per shave or any of that)

I love Stirling and will continue to buy and recommend their products simply for being a small business, American owned, operated, and made. They're veterans too. They have awesome customer service, great prices, and awesome products. Are they the best? No, but they are solid performers, good bang for your buck, and I think something every wet shavers in the US, especially in the military, should try.

Having tried 23 different Stirling scents thus far, my favorites, in order:

1. Iced Pineapple - my single favorite puck in my entire rotation!
2. Executive Man
3. Spice
4. Island Man

In terms of slickness, it's top tier - "uber slick". Just a touch more than Tabac (another favorite), and much slicker than MWF (for me). I use a traditional straight razor, so slickness is paramount for me.

Top Bottom