What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Just a thought,and I have had this happen to me before.Have you gave your brush a good cleaning lately?I had a similar situation where my brush appeared to be clean and my lathers were sub par,cleaned my brush well and was back into buisness.Other than that,I start with a dripping brush and tons of load time with Stirling soaps,works quite well for me.Good luck getting it sorted out,Stirling is a fantastic soap!!!

Too much water.
I use Stirling almost exclusively and I find that blooming and then a damp, not wet brush, works great. Nice thick creamy lather. I load and work the brush and soap in the bowl that I keep the soap in ... kinda like just using a Mug of Williams in "the old days" before we were all so fancy.
I also load it in the bowl and face lather it which works well and tends to force me to use less water in the brush.

I'm 3017-ing a tube of Via Men cream and, like the Stirling, a damp brush to start and a little dip in the brush soaking bowl are all I need to get 3-4 passes out of an almond sized drop.

I've learned a lot here at the B&B.

I would suggest loading with a little bit more of a drier brush and then adding water when you face or bowl lather. Stirling has consistently given me very very very good lather.

Since you say you are getting excellent performance and protection from it, not sure I'd worry about what it LOOKS like.
Does it drip off your razor when shaving, or stay on it?

As for not enough, it seems like a 60 sec load should be more than enough. I load for about 15 sec and have plenty for 3 passes. Different water and different brush could account for these differences. If you don't have enough lather, then you have no choice but to load more product and maybe work it a bit longer when building your lather.
Good luck!

I'm actually going to go the opposite direction of everyone else who has chimed in and suggest that you aren't adding enough water. The reason I say that is that on the time or two I have added too much water to Stirling, the lather's protection really took a hit. Since you haven't experienced that, I don't think you're adding too much.

My experience with Stirling (I face lather exclusively) is it goes along pretty steadily from a volume standpoint while you're building a lather/adding water, but all of a sudden it really explodes. It does take a more than an average amount of water and work to get to this point, especially when you "load it like you hate it" like I do! I'll also say it tolerates water well, and have not had many problems adding too much.

Stirling is my co-#1 performing soap with B&M, but I find Stirling's lather takes a bit more work to build. When I first started with it, I'd begin with a very dry brush and slowly add water until it really volumizes. I've since dialed it in where I start with more water and it takes less effort to build an excellent lather.

Here's a video of Rod lathering which should be educational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xP2RtShmM

Rod (the owner) made a video a little while back saying that you should start with less water than other soaps, and add as you go. I start with a brush I've just soaked in hot, then i squeeze it out before I lather. Then just dip my brush under the hot faucet as I face lather to add water to it.

Today I had a yogurty filthy rich lather. Firm, stable, moisturizing and relaxing shave.
I added more soap and more water.
That's all.

Along the lines of many who suggested less water, I would suggest that you not let the water soak on the surface while you shower. If you check out the video from Rod that someone posted in this thread, you will notice that he doesn't do that (nor do I). There have been some "to bloom or not to bloom" threads lately, and I generally fall into the camp of "not to bloom". Try it. It will either make it better, make it worse, or have not effect.

My lathers tend to be more yogurt than whipped cream like. I don't get the firm peaks and voluminous lather but I get a great shave every time. I'm in the camp that suggest that as long as soap performs well, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Box is in the mail! There are lots of great soaps in here. I am glad I was able to sniff test some scents so I know how they are!

proxy.php

Alright guys, I apologize for the delay but alas, the box is on to [MENTION=83034]jmurphy[/MENTION]...tracking number is 9505511005406044375149

So I was able to test lather Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot. I really like the scent on this but I will say that while it has many good properties as far as shaving goes, I don't think it will be as good as others that I have tried.

I would like to say that I test lathered the Soapy Bathman Blackjack...but that would be a lie. temptation got the better of me and I had to try it. So yes...I shaved with one more soap. Sorry guys. That being said...the Soapy Bathman Blackjack was a wonderful experience. It shaves with similar properties as the Tiki Bar Soap The Captain. There is a little menthol in it and paired with spearmint, give you a nice refreshing feel. The scent really does remind me of Blackjack chewing gum from my youth. I would totally buy this scent in a heartbeat. Spearmint and anise? How could this be bad?

So out of the soaps that I shaved with, my order of rank would be:

WSP Formula T Barbershop
PannaCrema San Francesco
Stop Shoppe Russian Tea
Soapy Bathman Blackjack
TIki The Captain
PAA Cucumber

So even though I have ranked these soaps, I have to say that there really is little difference in how all these perform. One may have a quality different than others, but that really is it. I would buy any of these. Actually I already have...I purchased some PannaCrema the other day.

Additionally I have used some of the white sample containers to put in a few soap that I have that I did not see in either box. I placed in the box a sample of Tabula Rasa Cardamom...Petal Pusher Fancies Sandalwood...and PannaCrema Lavondotto.

It is bittersweet that I pass this Box along to JMurphy. I really want to try so many more, but I am also very appreciative of being able to try these soaps and get sage advice from fellow B&Bers. This has been a great experience and I look forward to what other have to say.

Updated List

dfoulk
1. Corsair66 (helping to moderate this)
2. mbkintner
3. TheVez2
4. Floyd923 -
5. BJ Rose -
6. bjhubb -
7. mrlandpirate -
8. tclobaugh (helping to moderate this)
9. Horvy -
10. dangerousdon - Box Sent to JMurphy 2/13/2016
11. JMurphy
12. dgreene120
13. Jcan88-
14. Calhoun1 - Box Sent to Domzals1 on 2/12/2016
15. Domzals1
16. RustyHammer
17. ashcampbell
18. TheDude82
19. Back to dfoulk for vendor sample refill (where avail) and prep for round two.

I would suggest loading with a little bit more of a drier brush and then adding water when you face or bowl lather. Stirling has consistently given me very very very good lather.
This is what I do, but I don't seem to generate much lather, and it doesn't hold much of a peak. I load for a long time, at least 60 seconds, but I just don't get much quantity out of it. What I get is actually still quite protective, just an odd consi s Tenby and only enough for one pass. I'm doing the damp brush and then hydrate as I go method, so I'm not sure why my results are so different from everyone else in the thread.

As for too much water, I'm using far less than any other product I use, like MWF or TOBS.

Since you say you are getting excellent performance and protection from it, not sure I'd worry about what it LOOKS like.
Does it drip off your razor when shaving, or stay on it?

As for not enough, it seems like a 60 sec load should be more than enough. I load for about 15 sec and have plenty for 3 passes. Different water and different brush could account for these differences. If you don't have enough lather, then you have no choice but to load more product and maybe work it a bit longer when building your lather.
Good luck!

You are right, looks don't matter as much as performance. And to answer your question, there are no big peeks like all the brush shots people are always showing, but it doesn't drip off. It's just kind of flat.

My bigger concern is more about lack of lather. Today I loaded 60 seconds, made lather, seemed like not enough, went back to the puck, loaded more and made more. Ended up with about 1.5 passes woth, which really isn't enough except when I'm using carts. In do like the soap otherwise, but just don't want to make multiple batches to get through a shave.

Along the lines of many who suggested less water, I would suggest that you not let the water soak on the surface while you shower. If you check out the video from Rod that someone posted in this thread, you will notice that he doesn't do that (nor do I). There have been some "to bloom or not to bloom" threads lately, and I generally fall into the camp of "not to bloom". Try it. It will either make it better, make it worse, or have not effect.
Thats a good thought. I've been soaking the puck 10 min in water, because that's always seemed to be required by my MWF, and being a relative newbie I have no other soap experience other than creams. If not all soaps work best with soaking that is good information to have. I'll try this next.

I'm actually going to go the opposite direction of everyone else who has chimed in and suggest that you aren't adding enough water. The reason I say that is that on the time or two I have added too much water to Stirling, the lather's protection really took a hit. Since you haven't experienced that, I don't think you're adding too much.

My experience with Stirling (I face lather exclusively) is it goes along pretty steadily from a volume standpoint while you're building a lather/adding water, but all of a sudden it really explodes. It does take a more than an average amount of water and work to get to this point, especially when you "load it like you hate it" like I do! I'll also say it tolerates water well, and have not had many problems adding too much.

Stirling is my co-#1 performing soap with B&M, but I find Stirling's lather takes a bit more work to build. When I first started with it, I'd begin with a very dry brush and slowly add water until it really volumizes. I've since dialed it in where I start with more water and it takes less effort to build an excellent lather.

Here's a video of Rod lathering which should be educational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xP2RtShmM
I actually had the problem of not adding enough water with TOBS when I first started. I went through weeks of bad shaves before I realized my week, runny lather was due to not enough water. Maybe I am inadvertently doing the same with Stirling. I'll try it that way after I also try not soaking the puck for 10 min.

And on a totally unrelated note, why have I never heard of a peach scented shave soap from anyone other than Stirling? I think it's a fantastic idea; it's the scent I have and it's one of my favorites. I'm surprised I don't see anyone else making one.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As mentioned, Stirling does not make a fluffy lather a la MWF. My lathers are yogurty, creamy, and satiny.

However, Sterling is like MWF in that it is thirsty and tends to need a bit more working than some others. I actually start with a wet brush, dump everything into my bowl, and work it until it is right, and I often still need to add a bit of water. I do not soak or "bloom" my puck at all.

Top Bottom