What's new

Stirling Syndicate

First purchase on the way of Lemon Chill and Gin & Tonic.

With all of the artisans(brush, soap, and razors) this is a great time to be a wetshaver!

marty

Just got these samples in the mail today. Can't wait to try them.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436844982.504928.jpg

OP here again.

Well the Stirling soaps arrived yesterday - I shaved this morning with the Glacial Wintergreen and had probably the best shave of my DE life! The soap was amazing - lathered very easily, smelled great, provided excellent slickness and protection, and left my face feeling like a hockey rink! Loved it!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It has a very powdery type of leather scent to it. It reminds me of a more leather-based Tabac. I don't love the scent, but I don't hate it either. I find it to be pleasant. I just received a puck of it and the AS, as well. I could see myself using it before heading to watch a baseball game or before going to a barbeque or cookout.

Update: So my concerns about being able to lather this stuff were completely unfounded. In fact, it is just the opposite! This morning I loaded my brush for about 20 seconds with Lemon Chill and after 2 application during my pre-shave routine and a 4 pass shave, I still had enough left over for many additional passes - enough lather to fill a third of my shave bowl.

This stuff is incredible!

I also just received some samples from Stirling, and I'm having a little trouble with the lather. (So far I've only tried the SDM.) I'm getting a lather that looks nice, but it's not as protective as what I've been getting from proraso (which I've been using exclusively for about a year of DE shaving). I'm ending up with a weeper or two per shave and more irritation than I'm used to.

Given how much everyone loves this stuff I'm assuming the problem is user error, but what am I doing wrong? Not enough product? Not enough water? Too much water? My current plan is to just keep messing around with the ratios until I dial it in, but any guidance would be appreciated.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I also just received some samples from Stirling, and I'm having a little trouble with the lather. (So far I've only tried the SDM.) I'm getting a lather that looks nice, but it's not as protective as what I've been getting from proraso (which I've been using exclusively for about a year of DE shaving). I'm ending up with a weeper or two per shave and more irritation than I'm used to.

Given how much everyone loves this stuff I'm assuming the problem is user error, but what am I doing wrong? Not enough product? Not enough water? Too much water? My current plan is to just keep messing around with the ratios until I dial it in, but any guidance would be appreciated.

I am going to guess that you need more water. Stirling soaps like water. When you have that great looking, fluffy meringue lather that you're talking about, add a bit more water until you have a creamy, yogurty lather. See if that works for you.

I don't have any "purchased" Stirling soaps at the moment, however I do have a sample of Glacial Spearmint and it's wonderful stuff. I'm gradually becoming a face latherer, so I load it for about 60/75 swirls after having bloomed it while I showered. Then a good minute or more swirling on my face, then I paint it on to make sure I have nice coverage. It's really wonderful soap. I was PIFd a bottle of SDM A/S and it's amazing stuff ... the Mrs. just absolutely loves it so I intend to purchase some SDM soap soon.

I have used various Stirling soaps for 2+ years now. I prefer to face lather. I just soak the soap with a layer of warm water while I am in the shower. I use my brush of the day and just swirl it for 20-30 seconds after dumping the water out and head to my face. I always have more than enough great lather for 3+ passes.

proxy.php

proxy.php

For anyone keeping score, I got a much better lather (and shave) from the Stirling this morning. I went with the gin & tonic sample puck this time, and kept slowly adding water past where I thought it was ready--ended up with good, slick results. I think I still need a couple more shaves to really dial in the lather and get the most out of this soap, but I'm looking forward to the process.

Top Bottom