What's new

Statistical Nerds League (SNL)

Eddison is a brand of Personna from Israel. About the smoothest blade I have ever used.
Hmm they are even quite affordable on RBC. ~$15/100
1715283439375.png

In addition to what I share earlier, here are my archived records which includes my most used brush.

Historical:
Simpson T3 = 588 (Sent to Simpson for analysis)
Rudy Vey STF = 28 (gifted to Michael)
Zenith 502B = 6 (gifted to Ryan)

This is today's statistical nerds update.

Yesterday we discussed how we collect our shave data into record so that we can perform statistical analysis on these records once we have collected a number of them. Of course the larger number of records the better it is and the more accurate trends and conclusions we can see. Now this of course assume that we have been fairly consistent with our ratings throughout our collecting shave log entries.

Today I would like to look at a few basic statistical quantities that we can calculate based on the collected records.

First out is just a counted number. We can or example count how many times we have used a specific razor to see what our favorite razor is for example. We can even make a table out of the razor usage and see the different razors and how many times we have used each.

This could be useful in for example we would like to find out how much it costs per shave to use a specific soap. We can count the total number of shaves we used that soap. This should be from a full tub/puck/tube until it is empty and then we need to divide the cost of the soap with the number of shaves that it took to use it up. The result would be cost per shave for that soap. We can now to analysis of which soap is the least expensive per shave and the most expensive per shave.

The same analysis can be made for blades and other consumables. Maybe you want to find out how long a 3 oz bottle of Aqua Velva lasts. Just count the number of shaves that it was used from full bottle to empty and you are there. There are many things you can find out by a simple counting of things.

If we looks at Excel and Google Sheets the commands are the same for counting things. Common used commands are:
=COUNT(<range of cells>) or =COUNTA(<range of cells>) -- COUNT only counts numerical things where as COUNTA counts non empty cells. If you count non-numerical things use COUNTA.

An even more useful command is:
=COUNTIF(<range of calls>, <criterion to look for>) -- This command will count the number of occurrences of the criterion. For example: =COUNTIF(A2:A10, "Arko") will count the number of times that Arko was used in the cells in the range of A2 - A10 and ignore the ones that does not contain "Arko" as the criterion.

TIP: If you count through your record and you are continually are adding record at the end use "A2:A" for example as the range. This way it starts on cell A2 and counts all the other cells in column A even if you add more records at the end. That way you do not have to update the range as you are adding record.

This concludes today's statistical nerds update.

Nerd out!

O crap - I have soap on record as well, but not in my spreadsheet! I use one soap each month so I should be good in tracing it back if necessary.

Another one I do have in my sheet is brush usage. And using the function you mentioned Boris I also determine the split between vintage and modern razors. And thinking some more - open comb and safety bar could also be traced. Obviously type of brush can be added quite easily too!

Guido

O crap - I have soap on record as well, but not in my spreadsheet! I use one soap each month so I should be good in tracing it back if necessary.

Another one I do have in my sheet is brush usage. And using the function you mentioned Boris I also determine the split between vintage and modern razors. And thinking some more - open comb and safety bar could also be traced. Obviously type of brush can be added quite easily too!

Guido
Oh yes simple counters are great. Now if you make your soaps uniquely named meaning if you use a stick of Arko you name it Arko1 and the next stick you use Arko2 and so on it is easy peasy to track how many shaves that a soap lasts.

Oh yes simple counters are great. Now if you make your soaps uniquely named meaning if you use a stick of Arko you name it Arko1 and the next stick you use Arko2 and so on it is easy peasy to track how many shaves that a soap lasts.
O I track usage alright - just not in my spreadsheet. So it should be relatively easy to do - just need time to put it in. That’s the beauty of monthly soaps - copy/paste 30-31 times :thumbup:

Well you could always start a spreadsheet with your shave logs going forward and then backfill in the older data once you get it converted.
My entries evolved over time and as a result I will need to go back and standardize.
Here is the entry for today:
134/366
Friday May 10, 2024
Bowl: Captain's Choice
Brush: Semogue SOC Cherry
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Henson ++
Blade: Feather (1)

I'm going to make an effort to streamline what I want to keep track of. The bowl and daily shave count are out while Date: has been added.

Date: Friday May 10, 2024

I added the following to column A:

Date
Brush
Lather
Razor
Blade
When I update my text file, the most recent entry is at the top of the file. If I were to start with a spreadsheet it would have been the reverse. Inserting rows above my most recent entry would be a real pain. I have to give some thought on how to design this.

My entries evolved over time and as a result I will need to go back and standardize.
Here is the entry for today:
134/366
Friday May 10, 2024
Bowl: Captain's Choice

I'm going to make an effort to streamline what I want to keep track of. The bowl and daily shave count are out while Date: has been added.

Date: Friday May 10, 2024

I added the following to column A:

Date
Brush
Lather
Razor
Blade
When I update my text file, the most recent entry is at the top of the file. If I were to start with a spreadsheet it would have been the reverse. Inserting rows above my most recent entry would be a real pain. I have to give some thought on how to design this.
When you do a spreadsheet just have the columns be: Date, Brush, Lather etc and then you add a row at the bottom for every new entry.

I've added some manual entries for May to get a feel for the formatting:
Comments, suggestions are welcome. Meanwhile I have to do some major cleanup before attempting to import my text file with over three years of data.

1715360065681.png

I've added some manual entries for May to get a feel for the formatting:
Comments, suggestions are welcome. Meanwhile I have to do some major cleanup before attempting to import my text file with over three years of data.

View attachment 1843916
Awesome first step! Now take each record and put it in it's own column like this
1715364638074.png

Once you have do that for all your records you can swap rows and column and you are set!

Top Bottom