What's new

Started with Merkur 34C, now ready for a more aggressive razor

V

VR6ofpain

I find the 11C more aggressive than the 34C. I am actually trying to decide if I even like it. The aggressiveness may be more than I like. I have noticed with all open combs you can nick yourself much easier than a full safety bar as you face can go between the combs and run straight into the blade. That is obviously not fun.

I like the Gillette New Open Combs (short or long), particularly on a Bull Mastiff, Bull Mastiff Deluxe or Bull Mastiff Mark II handle from Bob's Razors.
https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/

I find there is a learning curve regarding use of these razors vs regular solid bar razors. In my hands, they require a lighter touch, less pressure against the face. The open comb, seems to me, to help the blade pick up hair especially well with light pressure. When used with proper technique, I find these heavy open combs to be much better at removing my tough beard. I also find that I get less irritation when I shave with less pressure.

You're going to eventually get them all, so the only things you need to decide on are the order, and whether you want the HD or Barber Pole Versions.

Here is my suggested order:

1. HD Gold Slant Bar
2. Barber Pole Slant Bar
3. Chrome or Gold Futur
4. Barber Pole Open Comb.

Although the Slant is really pretty much a RAD Killer.

I've tried Derby's, Crystals, Dorco's, a Merkur, Gillete 7 O'clock? and I think that is it? I need to try some Astra's, Feathers, a Wilkinson Sword, etc

Top Bottom