What's new

SR Shaving With Non-Dominant Hand?

I use right hand right cheek. left for left cheek. WTG N to S.

neck WTG and ATG I'm usually left for right and right for left.

downward diagonal E to W problem area on right neck.....always a blind pass with left hand.

skin stretch upward jawline clearing on both jaws....right for left and left for right.

AGT diagonal swipes to clear problem areas are diagonal S to N shoulder to nose. right for left side. left for right side.

I reposition scales slot.

hope some of this makes sense to someone.

camo
Sounds correct (not right ;)) to me.

I saw use of the non dominant hand during the day, presented as a suggestion by the head surgeon to a young Dr. Kildare in the first of those movies. He said to practice using the weaker hand during the day on other tasks, in order to help speed things up during surger When it was used.

You shave with your sword hand. It is incorrect form to use your left hand. That's how I was taught. Old school. Shaved like that for decades. Then started reading all this new fangled stuff about switching hands on forums. Tried it. Got better shaves. Generally switch hands whilst shaving now.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Not even on SR shaving yet, but have switched to using both hands in anticipation of the big day (still waiting on the outfits for the coronet players and to get more balsa, cut-to-size tiles, and poly diamond spray like those insano razor sharpeners use instead of the mono diamond spray that’s good enough for knives…).

A work in progress to be certain (my dominant hand is no treat), but the bigger issue for me was skin stretching under the jawline for WTG passes and above the jawline for ATG passes. Also, the shame that I’m really bad at XTG anything.

As Seveneighth mentioned sword hands, maybe the choice is whether you see yourself as Inigo Montoya or The Dread Pirate Roberts?

I'm right hand dominant, left eye dominant. I shave the right side with my right hand and the left side with the left hand. To me, it's like shooting trap or sporting clays with both eyes open. YMMV. Do what works best for you.

I didn't know that one could only use the dominant hand. I've been cutting myself senselessly attempting to teach my left hand new tricks.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I didn't know that one could only use the dominant hand. I've been cutting myself senselessly attempting to teach my left hand new tricks.
I decided not to even try until our medical services return to some normality. Until then, I have no problems SR shaving with just my dominant hand.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The pandemic strain ended at our local hospital a few months ago so I started including my non-dominant hand in my SR routine. For a bit over a month now, I have been shaving north to south on the left side of my face using my left hand.

Only now do I feel confident (just) in shaving with my left hand. The question now is, where do I go from here with my left hand? Do I do;
  1. S - N left side,
  2. N - S right side,
  3. S - N right side,
  4. E - W right side,
  5. W - E right side,
  6. E - W left side, or
  7. W - E left side.

The pandemic strain ended at our local hospital a few months ago so I started including my non-dominant hand in my SR routine. For a bit over a month now, I have been shaving north to south on the left side of my face using my left hand.

Only now do I feel confident (just) in shaving with my left hand. The question now is, where do I go from here with my left hand? Do I do;
  1. S - N left side,
  2. N - S right side,
  3. S - N right side,
  4. E - W right side,
  5. W - E right side,
  6. E - W left side, or
  7. W - E left side.
I personally go north to south right side right hand and north to south left side left hand.
Then I go xtg left side right hand, then xtg right side left hand.
Then atg right hand left side, then atg left side right hand.
Then I do a Fourth pass switching hands hitting all the atg areas I’ve missed.

I used to use a completely dull smooth edge I practiced with after I finished regular shave just to build some muscle memory.
Then I moved on using some forgiving coticule edges.
It is a work in progress. I would not put a laser sharp edge in my left hand just yet.
Like others have said I try to use my left hand more, hoping it will help.

I'm just over a dozen straight shaves in, and today I gave up on the left (non-dominant) hand. The shave was so much more relaxing and confident as a result. I will wait until I have worked out all of the holds/planes/angles with my right and can do so confidently before I reintroduce my left. I'd much prefer to get at least one hand working well before I introduce another, less consistent, variable... :p

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm just over a dozen straight shaves in, and today I gave up on the left (non-dominant) hand. The shave was so much more relaxing and confident as a result. I will wait until I have worked out all of the holds/planes/angles with my right and can do so confidently before I reintroduce my left. I'd much prefer to get at least one hand working well before I introduce another, less consistent, variable... :p
I was like you. It was not until I was about 800 daily SR shaves in that I started working with my non-dominant hand. I am still only doing N-S on the left side of my face with my left hand. That includes WTG, XTG and even some ATG with my beard growth directions.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
100% agree. But showing up for client meetings looking like Norman Gunston has somewhat tempered my enthusiasm for taking on too much at once. :p
@Titleist may have to do some research on our beloved Norman Gunston, the Little Aussie Bleeder.

IMG_20220603_074746.jpg

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself. I too was very tempted to just go righty for the whole shave but I’m glad I persevered with the left hand work. Shaving for me is much easier using the ambidextrous approach to the point that I now wouldn’t trust myself with a right hand only shave. I wouldn’t know where to start.

I too are in the camp of forcing to use both left and right hands very early on. The brain and muscular systems adapts very quickly if there repitetion of good form without injury, and then after a while it becomes auto pilot.

I changed tack today going S-N on the cheeks. Normally I would do the right side with the right hand and the left side with the left hand.

Today I did the reverse. Right side with the left hand. Left side with the right hand. This felt a little awkward as I’m not used to it but I think this approach has potential. I get a nicer sweep over the cheek bones and the toe of the blade can more easily trace the edges of the beard next to the ears.

Top Bottom