What's new

Spinework

Spinework

• Just do it

• Send it to someone who knows what he's doing

• Just leave it like it is

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have this beautiful TI in ivory. But the spine literally screams for some work and I figured I'd just take my dremel and file in some adornments. But I have no experience with that kind of work. What do you think?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Wow, very nice TI. I would also leave it as is. If you're decided to go forward though, practice on a cheap GD first so you can see what works better.

I believe Seraphim could be of some help :)

Working on hardened metal is not easy. He dremel drums work but it is "rough" work. If you insist on something done I would send it to someone with some experience doing it.

Don't Do It.

It is what it is and it's best if you leave it that way.
If you what to try doing spine work, spend $10 on a GD and have at it.
It you "test" it on your TI it going to ruin the investment you have in that razor.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Don't do it! If you just GOT to do it, do a few GDs first. Dremels have caused much razor tragedy and heartbreak. Get some experience with that fiendish instrument before you apply it to a TI.

Me, I am not a fan of worked spines, anyway. I never saw the point.

Don't get just one GD. Get a dozen. If you buy 10 or more they are $3.43/ea with free shipping, when you go right to this vendor's site instead of ebay: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/7076.html. That's where I get mine. Check your emails from them after the sale... there will usually be a discount code for your next purchase. The last order I got, I paid less than $3.06/ea for them. When you got a bunch of them not only do you get more practice but you don't have to get all bummed out if you destroy a couple.

Don't do it! If you just GOT to do it, do a few GDs first. Dremels have caused much razor tragedy and heartbreak. Get some experience with that fiendish instrument before you apply it to a TI.

Don't get just one GD. Get a dozen. If you buy 10 or more they are $3.43/ea with free shipping, when you go right to this vendor's site instead of ebay: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/7076.html. That's where I get mine. Check your emails from them after the sale... there will usually be a discount code for your next purchase. The last order I got, I paid less than $3.06/ea for them. When you got a bunch of them not only do you get more practice but you don't have to get all bummed out if you destroy a couple.

And you will.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Just leave it like it is. Not just because the problems with doing it now that it is hardened but also because it looks just fine as is.

Thomas,

Please post your street adress and leave your door unlocked. I'm making an emergency call to the SPCR (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Razors) to come pick up your TI. They'll come get the razor and see that it's taken to a loving home full of whiskers, high end soap and lots of dehumidifiers.

Please do not touch the spine on that thing. It's elegant and lovely as it is. Plus, I think I read a Bill Ellis thread on spinework in which he says that it shouldn't be done on a hardened blade anyway. It should be done before the heat treating. He also made a point of saying no dremel should EVER go near the spine for that sort of work.

If you want to fool around on a spine and see what's possible, I've got a couple of vintage razors and one Pakistani *** that came in lots that I'll happily send to you for the cost of postage and you can mess around on their spines. The blades had been honed to a width where they're no longer useful, but it would give you a real sense of what it might be like to try and file on hardened carbon steel.

Drop me a PM if you want them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If I were you I would cringe at the idea of putting a Dremel anyware near such a razor, maybe OK for a ****ty Gold dollar but seriously don't do it, there are many good video's on how to create good spine work I'll leave you a video on basic file work there are many more for you to look at.

Gold Dollars are not "****ty". Just misunderstood. My favorite razors are all Gold Dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread reminded me of one of my favorite quotes; "A man who picks up a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn no other way" Mark Twain

Top Bottom