What's new

SPEICKtember 2015

That's a lot of Speick :w00t:

Is that tub soap a hard soap or soft soap? And do you know if it is the same formula as the stick?

I have a problem, I know!

The Deo is new from an order this week. I've have the AS and stick (not pictured) for about a year. The tub I've only used a handful of times. I like the original scent better than the Active line.

It's what I would call a croap, but a firm one. Just the different consistency tells me that it's an entirely different formula.

brucered

System Generated
I decided to see how Speick holds up to a bowl lather in a hot hot scuttle.

It did surprisingly well but think it sucked some of the moisture and water out of it when it hit my face.

Back to face lathering tomorrow.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1441466323887.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1441466323887.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 78
Speick'd it up just now. Great shave!

Used my RR Babysmooth and a fresh Personna Lab Blue, face lathered with my Omega 11137. No nicks, BBS on my cheeks and DFS everywhere else.

Alum & Proraso AS...ready for a Saturday!!

Can't wait until I get my Speick stick in the new dispenser...

Just to report in re: Speick Active soap in the tub.

I loaded the soap for a count of 60 with a Semogue 610. Face lathered. It dissipated quickly and although shiny didn't seem terribly slick. I did my first pass and it was fine. When I went to relather for a second pass it was like there was no soap left in the brush! I actually had to back to the tub! Used less water the second time I loaded and the lather held up better.

So the shave was fine no irritation, and the active scent is like a brighter version of the original (I prefer the original), and light to medium light in strength. I obviously need to dial this product in before I pass judgment, and no one should take what I just wrote as anything but a first impression. With a little work I'm sure this will perform just as well as all the other Speick products.

Well the second shave (yesterday) was once again just ok. The Speick tub is serviceable but not likely to be a re-buy for me. I'm sticking with the stick . . ,

brucered

System Generated
Another good shave for me today. I seem to get better lather if I start with a well shook out brush and then load. Add a few drops on the protolather and then face lather.

After a week of daily use, I'm still impressed and would consider this a Very Good soap, but not my #1. There is such a fine line between these top quality soaps, that it makes it hard to pick and choose which make the cut.

Glad I finally pulled it out to use, but won't add any more once it's gone.

Last edited:
Occasionally I'll have to skip a day, when that happens my beard can become itchy and sharp. I've found the pre electric shave lotion works very well to stop the itch and soften the scratch. An odd little discovery I've been very happy to have found. Yay Speick!

Whoooooops! Already missed 7 days... better get going! Tonights shave will be with Speick stick and my brand new Rooney Heritage Beehive size 2 3-band :D

Ah! Just shaved with Speick stick and my new Rooney brush. The Speick has a wonderful scent and never disapoints me. The Rooney also felt nice; firm with a lot of backbone, but really soft! :)

Last edited:
In to the 2nd week and I'm starting to get the hang of this stick. Just about worked out the water/soap ratio. I just need to remember that when I thing I'm done, add a bit more water and it will perfect. The AS splash is still as good as always.

I wish I could be participating in this, as the Speick line was (and I guess still is) one of my favorites, but I have a no-fragrance policy in effect in my household due to my wife's migraines. I haven't used Speick in a couple of years.

Happy Speick shaves, fellas! :thumbup:

I am remaining faithful to my 3017 principles and using my Haslinger puck. Next week, however, I am on the road in Germany and will pack a Speick stick for the trip.

Good times!

My method is the same as it was for other high quality tallow soaps:

Soak the brush in hot water, then squeeze the water out of the brush and give it a couple shakes. Starting with a drier brush makes for more consistent lather in my experience. It's easier to add water than add soap.

Load the brush slowly with light pressure until the tips are saturated with soap. I have been guilty of trying to smash the brush into the soap or trying to load very quickly like I'm building lather. So I consciously think about applying just enough pressure to keep the tips in contact with the soap at all times and move slowly as that seems to load product better. I don't count or time anything; I just load until the tips have a lot of product on them. You can tell because it gets sticky and additional loading doesn't seem to do anything. But it's usually around 30 seconds.

Build the lather, adding water slowly and taking time to fully incorporate it. I wet the face or dip the brush tips in a bit of water because the lather starts out pretty dry. Then I work the brush in circular motions around the face until it's consistently hydrated. Typically I will have to dip the tips in water a couple times and repeat the process until I'm happy with the hydration. I finish by painting the lather on with the brush for a uniform thickness.

For my second pass, I simply paint on another coat of lather. I don't wet the face because I'm already happy with the hydration of mixed lather and don't want to thin it. If I've loaded enough soap, I have enough lather that I don't have to squeeze any out. I only do two passes.

Decided to work from home today so I could drop my son off at school. He's going I to grade one and was a little anxious.

Got home and a shower and a leisurely shave.

Used the stick (as a stick)
A Maggard's MR 5 (or 7 can't remember) with a new Nancet blade
3 passes, finished with Thayers rose and Speick splash.

For good measure I'm also wearing the Deo. I love the Deo! I'm going to pick some more of this up. It's pricey compared to the local stuff, but worth it for me.

brucered

System Generated
Very cool! My oldest starts first grade today. Fun time of year!

First day of school here for the kids too...but they made it an in-service day, go figure. :001_rolle

Got another great shave with Speick today. Loaded up my brush, dribbled a few drops of water on it and then face lathered.

Shave 2 with the Speick. This time with the cream. I like the stronger, even more spicy scent it has compared to the stick. Used with my Semogue 1305, great lather but the blue Astra blade is probably not for me. 3 passes, OK results.

I've been in on some other themes for the last month but I will jump onboard here next week with Speick cream and/or stick and AS. I also will finish the month as a "Super Speed September"!

Top Bottom