What's new

Souplex Owners Club

Razor: 1930's English Souplex OC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Brush: Synthetic A La Wilko
Soap: Hampshire Lanolin Shaving Soap No.1 Original Formula
AS Balm: Nivea Sensitive

IMG_20231204_204946196.jpg

For my final shave with the GSB tonight, let's visit an airy fairy wonderland where you could purchase class A drugs over the counter at Boots, Mr Baldwin was telling us over the wireless that the bomber would always get through, and when the Gold Standard was still a thing. Great Britain in the mid 1930's, where the Souplex razor reigned and briefly roared it's superiority.

It had to be the Souplex, my finest OC and probably my most gloriously effficient and joyful razor.

So I loaded up the GSB on trip number 4 and commenced a most wonderful shave.

My idea of a pre-shave is to thoroughly wash the face, rinse and keep wet using hottish water and drawing my hand against the grain of my stubble, which I have persuaded myself helps in some way. Auto-suggestion is a wonderful thing. I never shower before shaving, for as is well known, too much bathing weakens the constitution.

I have been using a most wonderful arisan soap from Tantra, a small batch soap made in Hampshire. Made with the finest ingredients, it is an unpretentious yet magnificient performer, with all the richness, slickness and glide one could desire. I take the smallish puck in my hand and lather straight from it. It creates a fantastic result. After thoroughly letting the puck dry I stash it in an old Sho-Ka-Kola tin.

Got an excellent lather applied using the great Wilko synthetic, and set to with the Souplex.

A most glorious, efficient and deeply satisfying 3 passer resulted, leaving my skin smooth, my whiskers removed and my soul raised. I mean that's one of the main parts of shaving right?

The wonderful Souplex wins again!
Simon, you are a national international treasure!! :smile1:

I’ve been experimenting with this new blade I received recently…..Suneko….a Chinese made one of seemingly excellent quality.
Tried it in my 7 O’clock razor with outstanding results so it was only natural to see what it could do in our favoured Souplex.
It’s right at home in it. Smooth and unbelievably close shaving with hardly any irritation issues. I’m 12 hrs in since the sink session this morning and still feeling remarkably stubble free. The Souplex always rewards me with a fine shave but this blade seems to be right on the sweet spot for our Lancashire lovely.
A good blade IMO for a great razor.
Souplex!!🇬🇧😍🤜💥🤛
IMG_6196.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

A fantastic shave this morning with the Souplex loaded with a Feather blade.
arko! and the Omega boar brush whipped up a super slick lather.
Went ATG all the way … the. Souplex is a master of ATG. Face was as smooth as I can get. Bit of very minor irritation but the Feather was the culprit.
I confess I’ve been having a fling with the 7 O’clock OC lately and it’s damn good. The Souplex was not outclassed in any way however. It’s a superb vintage razor capable of the closest shaves .

Nice little bit of reportage.

Went ATG all the way … the. Souplex is a master of ATG. Face was as smooth as I can get. Bit of very minor irritation but the Feather was the culprit.
Spot on there! I have never really conciously considered that part. I just take the Souplex so much for granted now in terms of effortless performance..But that could be a critical factor for the consistently great results, Not all OC's take to ATG, some are actually bloody minded about it, literally. Especially upper lip. That may be why my first gut impression of the Souplex was that it handled like a Tech.
I confess I’ve been having a fling with the 7 O’clock OC lately and it’s damn good. The Souplex was not outclassed in any way however. It’s a superb vintage razor capable of the closest shaves .
I been reading your little write up. I need a 7 O'clock in my life, deffo. Lots of good things I've heard. Still out there at an ok price too.

There is a hybrid Souplex/7 O'clock looking razor out there. It's one of the WW2 British service issue types. All the major British manufacturers (not Gillette) seem to have been pooled together, and they appear to have been coerced to merge specific design features. I think the Min Of Supply was responsible for that.

Anyways, cheers as always!

Last edited:
The 7 O’clock deserves way more kudos as does our little Lancashire lovely, the perfectly formed Souplex.
Both are excellent …up with the best IMO.
I could happily live with either as my only razor but I selfishly don’t.
If you see a 7 O’clock going cheap then just get it . They can look grotty but both mine (long and short handle versions) have cleaned up very well. Handles seem to be silver plated and prone to tarnishing. The base plate and top cap plating is superb. They deliver a spooky smooth shave. A must for any Made in England aficionado.

Today I used the same blade and lather as yesterday’s Souplex shave.
Today’s razor was the Gillette made in England FB Tech.
The Tech is a very good razor but the results with the Souplex were just better all round. Took less effort, closer and a smoother feel.
The Souplex wins the duel.
Souplex!!🤜💥🤛
IMG_6308.jpeg

Any Souplex owners out there?

In honour of a superb and somewhat overlooked English vintage beauty, I propose that the Souplex Owners Club is now in being!

A fantastic, beautifully designed epitome of the art deco style of razor, made in the 1930's in Morcombe, Lancashire.

My most efficient and easy to use OC, which even bests my Piccolo and Gillette News by some margin. There, I've said it.View attachment 1608795

Any owners and or admirers of this lovely little razor, please drop a post!
Hello! Here is mine, found it today at the flea market and used it already. A great shave! Hollow handle.

Attachments

• IMG-20231230-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20231230-WA0000.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 11
B

Barney14

The 7 O’clock deserves way more kudos as does our little Lancashire lovely, the perfectly formed Souplex.
Both are excellent …up with the best IMO.
I could happily live with either as my only razor but I selfishly don’t.
If you see a 7 O’clock going cheap then just get it . They can look grotty but both mine (long and short handle versions) have cleaned up very well. Handles seem to be silver plated and prone to tarnishing. The base plate and top cap plating is superb. They deliver a spooky smooth shave. A must for any Made in England aficionado.
I had always thought 7o'clocks were made in the USA, even happier with it knowing its Made in England

B

Barney14

I had always thought 7o'clocks were made in the USA, even happier with it knowing its Made in England
I must be going daft in my old age, the razor has Made in England stamped on the baseplate.

Only just acquired the one on the left. I've not seen one like it before and it's got me intrigued. Made by Souplex with the patent no. on the baseplate - and the patent number on the razor and box both match. But when you look up the patent it was taken out in GB by Paul Muller of Mulcuto, Germany in 1929!! Funny, because the first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looked like a Mulcutto head. Anyone know anything about this?

Only just acquired the one on the left. I've not seen one like it before and it's got me intrigued. Made by Souplex with the patent no. on the baseplate - and the patent number on the razor and box both match. But when you look up the patent it was taken out in GB by Paul Muller of Mulcuto, Germany in 1929!! Funny, because the first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looked like a Mulcutto head. Anyone know anything about this?
Is that a SB head? I've never seen anything like it in the Souplex lineup.

Please can you provide detailed photos of the head if you have time. No rush!

Straight Bar, with Mulcuto-like needlepoint teeth! I've never seen the like!!
Please give us a shave report when you’re ready.
Is this the mythical beast that lives in those Souplex branded Bakelite cases?
The one that proudly states “combless” I believe.
I’ve seen more rocking horse doo doo than one of these razors. Handle looks like an Ever Ready /Gem type though….🤔

Please give us a shave report when you’re ready.
Is this the mythical beast that lives in those Souplex branded Bakelite cases?
The one that proudly states “combless” I believe.
I’ve seen more rocking horse doo doo than one of these razors. Handle looks like an Ever Ready /Gem type though….🤔
Scrolled back and I see it does come with the case that is always razorless in my experience . I’m geeking out badly

Top Bottom