13/16 Aiku, Full Hollow Ground, Square Point
Imperial Shave Pegasus III Strop
Rodney Neep Kenya Soapstone, 24mm Silvertip
D.R. Harris Arlington Soap
Alum Block
D.R. Harris Arlington Aftershave
D.R. Harris Arlington Cologne

proxy.php

Lovely shave, David. I keep thinking that one of these days I must try the Arlington... :idea:
Gillette NT
with "Hausmarke" German Vintage Blade (1)
Hans Baier 24mm Silvertip Brush
German Vintage Castile Shavingstick
Weleda ASB
Hermes EdT
Have a nice day! :001_smile

proxy.php

Outstanding clarity in this wonderful image!

Friday, 6.I.2012

Emulsión Myrsol
Vie-Long 14080 caballo & tejón
La Toja pieles sensibles
Mühle R89
Derby Extra
Thayers Witch Hazel lemon
Bottega Verde Uomo The Rosso

proxy.php

I love the way you matched the colors here!

Friday

Bukhave Bowl
Semogue 820
Mühle R101 (2010) with Feather

Scottish Fine Soaps Classic Shaving Soap (+ glycerine)
Scottish Fine Soaps Classic After Shave Balm
Scottish Fine Soaps Classic EdT

I was convinced this soap was going to be relegated to shower-soap, as the stability of the lather is really poor.
But as a final test I added 5-10 drops of glycerine today while lathering up, and what a positive difference it made.
If I can get the same result once more, I'm going to keep it for shaving, as the cushioning and glide properties are really good.
(I'm just not fond of soaps or creams where I have to add stuff to make it work; they should work right out of the bowl/tub/tube)

Have a really nice Friday, Gentlemen :001_smile

proxy.php

Great picture as usual Soren.

Also good to hear you've had some success with the soap - guess I'm just lucky I have no troubles with it.

How are the EDT and the aftershave balm? I was thinking of picking them up.

Lost for words :ouch1:

Aiku, Arlington, Arlington and Arlington - what a nice company :biggrin1:

Erwin, you are the King of vintage gear and your way of presenting all this nice stuff is phenomenal
proxy.php

I love it!

Very very nice, almost completely two-tone :thumbup:

Looks very classy and old school :thumbup1:

Good stuff, I also chose Semogue and Feather today - nice :thumbup:

proxy.php

The Akatombow definitely needs to go back to the stones. It's getting a bit dull, requiring additional passes to get a what I consider a really good shave. I was afraid to push things for a true CBS, but it's good enough that I put my suit on and I'm heading to court... A great week of shaves, gentlemen, thank you for sharing and for indulging my rather amateurish SOTD contributions!

To be quite honest, I don't find your photos amateurish in any way.
I really like this one, I think the lighting really makes it a great shot :thumbsup: :a14:

Also a very classy photo, I almost find myself in Italy - great choice of gear :thumbup1:

A perfect example of KISS - really a great photo IMO :w00t: :thumbup: :ouch1:

Are you using a pyramid honing scheme, when you are saying you shave straight of this stone?

Very nice :thumbup1:
This brush keeps my eyes open :lol:

A perfect example of KISS - really a great photo IMO :w00t: :thumbup: :ouch1:

Are you using a pyramid honing scheme, when you are saying you shave straight of this stone?

Thank you Søren. I like keeping it simple :smile: I love your photos as well!

Here's how I honed it:

Made a slurry with the Naniwa stone that came with the Chosera.
Did 40 circles on each side.
5 regular stokes
5 x-strokes
5 regular.
Cleaned off the hone
5 regular
5 x-strokes
5 regular.
At this time it had a bevel that cut hairs all along the edge so I was happy :smile:

Pyramid:

10 on 8k
5 on 4k
8 on 8k
4 on 4k
5 on 8k
1 on 4k
5 on 8k

Cleaned of the hone and wiped off water with my index finger and did a very light "20 laps to dry"

50 laps on Illinois #827 linen, 50 on the leather, 50 on Kanayama suede, 50 on the cordovan.
Passed my personal HHT with flying colors all along the edge.

We're having a JaNorton month over at SRP, two razors and a Norton 4/8k, no 1k bevel setters or fine finishers or pasted strops allowed. Quite an interesting experiment. So far many of us have been pretty much blown away how nice the Norton can be, even cotimeister Gary Haywood. :smile:

Here's how I honed it:

5 regular stokes
5 x-strokes
5 regular.
Cleaned off the hone
5 regular
5 x-strokes
5 regular.
At this time it had a bevel that cut hairs all along the edge so I was happy :smile:

Pyramid:

10 on 8k
5 on 4k
8 on 8k
4 on 4k
5 on 8k
1 on 4k
5 on 8k

Cleaned of the hone and wiped off water with my index finger and did a very light "20 laps to dry"

50 laps on Illinois #827 linen, 50 on the leather, 50 on Kanayama suede, 50 on the cordovan.

We're having a JaNorton month over at SRP, two razors and a Norton 4/8k, no 1k bevel setters or fine finishers or pasted strops allowed. Quite an interesting experiment. So far many of us have been pretty much blown away how nice the Norton can be, even cotimeister Gary Haywood. :smile:

Thank you very much for the explanation.
I'm always interested in getting new information and learning new stuff, and I haven't tried the pyramid system yet, but I imagine it could be fun.
And when you all are quite satisfied with your Norton combi, you can all send me your now obsolete J-nats, coticules, BBW's etc. etc. :biggrin1: :lol: :lol:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Here's how I honed it:

5 regular stokes
5 x-strokes
5 regular.
Cleaned off the hone
5 regular
5 x-strokes
5 regular.

Pyramid:

10 on 8k
5 on 4k
8 on 8k
4 on 4k
5 on 8k
1 on 4k
5 on 8k

Sounds perfect, Amund! :thumbup1: Was the blade smooth for shaving with no finishing stone and no CrOx?

Lovely shave, David. I keep thinking that one of these days I must try the Arlington... :idea:

Thank you, Bill:001_smile Everyone should have Arlington in their lives:001_wub:. This my second puck, started this morning. Would never be without it...so much so that I'm contemplating getting the cream too. Can never have too much Arlington you know, Bill:wink2::001_smile

Thank you very much for the explanation.
I'm always interested in getting new information and learning new stuff, and I haven't tried the pyramid system yet, but I imagine it could be fun.
And when you all are quite satisfied with your Norton combi, you can all send me your now obsolete J-nats, coticules, BBW's etc. etc. :biggrin1: :lol: :lol:

Ha, you wish! :001_tt2:

Sounds perfect, Amund! :thumbup1: Was the blade smooth for shaving with no finishing stone and no CrOx?

Yes Marco, very smooth and nice, no CrOx or high grit finisher, just Norton 8k and good old stropping. Quite surprising how good it works.

Thank you, Bill:001_smile Everyone should have Arlington in their lives:001_wub:. This my second puck, started this morning. Would never be without it...so much so that I'm contemplating getting the cream too. Can never have too much Arlington you know, Bill:wink2::001_smile

Damn, I have the Arlington cream which is really nice, so now I need the puck too? :001_smile

Hehe Søren, actually I sold two cotis just before Christmas, I just kept a small bout that's a great finisher (Les Lat with hybrid side) :smile:
Hey we have a meetup in Oslo the 14th, you should come! :smile:

Hot Shower
Omega Midget/Mystery Soap
Gillette Tech/7o'clock green
Warm water rinse, polar water splash, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Colonia
4 blade DFS

Attachments

• $IMG_1034-1.jpg
    $IMG_1034-1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 141
Another round of excellent shaves, guys. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Bill: Nothing amateurish about your SOTDs, my friend. Keep them coming!!!:001_smile

Amund: How did the Cade perform using the Thater? All good I hope.

Amund: How did the Cade perform using the Thater? All good I hope.

David, loading it with a fairly dry brush, adding water really slowly and spending a loooong time whipping it up did the trick, got the best Cade lather so far for sure, now at least a nice usable lather that didn't dry out or lacked glide. Still not up there with the best, but way better than previous attempts. Still looking for the perfect cream to pair it with I guess :smile:

Enders Speed Razor
with Enders Speed Blade (2)
Hans Baier 24mm Silvertip Brush
Cyril R. Salter Fresh Mint SC
4711 Portugal AS
Have nice day! :001_smile

proxy.php

Erwin, with those After Eight mints around, I wouldn't have even bothered shaving!!:001_smile:lol: Hope your holiday is going well, my friend.:001_smile

David, loading it with a fairly dry brush, adding water really slowly and spending a loooong time whipping it up did the trick, got the best Cade lather so far for sure, now at least a nice usable lather that didn't dry out or lacked glide. Still not up there with the best, but way better than previous attempts. Still looking for the perfect cream to pair it with I guess :smile:

I love the scent of Cade so much that I would do just about anything to avoid using a cream in combo. The wet brush technique proved very satisfactory with the Thater for me, so the Cade cream has been made redundant as far as I'm concerned. My Cade soap is almost finished so it'll be interesting to see if a fresh one performs similarly to this year old one.

Boldog Születésnapot Max! Happy Birthday Max!

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 26mm Thäter LE, 2-band (SRP 2011) Silvertip Badger
SOAP/CREAM: Manantiales de La Toja Soap
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: 7/8" Max Sprecher custom, 1/4 Hollow Ground, French Point,
w/ Cobaltium M3 Mokume Gane scales + G10 Hunter Orange tapered wedge
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan # 60.000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG / XTG
AS: Geo. F. Trumper West Indian Extract of Limes Skin Food
COLOGNE: Clinique Happy for Men
WINE: Merlot-Kékfrankos Cuvée, 2007 (Matra wine-region, Hungary)
RESULT: Excellent, BBS shave

proxy.php

Have a great shave everyone,
Béla​

Bela, this shot would win a prize on just colour alone, my friend!:thumbup1: A wonderful shot as always!:001_smile:thumbup1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom