What's new

Some Scritch to Scratch Your Itch - Simpson Duke 3 Pure

I've been looking for a scritchy brush to complement some of the soft-tipped ones I have in my rotation. So the search for scritch ends with my latest from Classic Shaving. Yeah, it's scritchy & prickly, tips appear to be clipped, and may not be for most. But for those looking for a badass brush for the days when only some whips, chains, and some leather would scratch the itch, here's the Pure!

Pre-bloom:
proxy.php

Loft:
proxy.php

Tips:
proxy.php

Glorious full bloom moneyshot:
proxy.php

Glad you posted this. Just got the Duke 3 in Best and it is killer but I want to add a brush with identical density but with more scritch to my rotation. Currently in talks with Rudy Vey regarding a custom black badger hair brush. The Duke is an awesome brush, no doubt.

That's an oddity. Other than the Simpson site, I don't think I've seen one for sale. Was it special ordered? I'm occasionally tempted to test the Simpson Pure waters with an Eagle or Special, but so far have resisted. I do agree that sometimes you just need a scritchy brush.

I've been looking for a scritchy brush to complement some of the soft-tipped ones I have in my rotation. So the search for scritch ends with my latest from Classic Shaving. Yeah, it's scritchy & prickly, tips appear to be clipped, and may not be for most. But for those looking for a badass brush for the days when only some whips, chains, and some leather would scratch the itch, here's the Pure!
Your eloquent description of this brush reminds me of a poem I wrote circa 1981
... about a woman I knew when I was the Navy.

Stephanie Miriam is in a state of delirium
when she spends time with her boyfriend named Mark.
When they get together,
they use Whips, Chains and Leather,
its a crime what they do in the dark.

It would really help if you knew these people,
but even without knowing the context,
I think its still a pretty good play on words.

PS: Nice Brush!

For those days when I'm in the mood for scitchy, I pull out a C&E Pure Travel Brush ... most of the knot is soft enough to be called BEST grade, but there are enough hairs that retain a lot of backbone and stiffness they can really bite down into the beard and go to work.

It was my go-to brush for about a year ... mainly due to living in a house with inferior water, and I didn't want to chance ruining a brush I couldn't replace.

But in that time, I got a lot of really good shaves from it ... especially when used on a 5-day beard, in prep for 39C/Feather to harvest the whiskers.

Again ... that Duke is looking awesome. Good luck with it.

Cant find this brush on www.classicshaving.com Where did you buy it?

Classic Shaving has a "not-so-secret" cache of Simpson brushes in one of the display cases at their retail store - The Men's Room. I saw these brushes in person when I was in Palm Springs a few weeks ago. Though I didn't buy it in person, I did some research on the Duke 3 Pure when I returned home, and ordered over the phone and had them ship it to me. There were more Simpsons brushes on sale at the time - a 3-band Chubby 2 in Super, Case, Persian Jars, and more.

The only other place that stocks Simpsons Dukes in Pure is Em's Place. However, I think most Simpsons authorized dealers (WCS, Bull Goose, RoyalShave, etc.) probably can special order a stock Simpson.

DPM - lulz! Awesome poem.

DJ-
You can ignore my PM. I called the Mens Room in California. You are one lucky fellow. The Simpson Duke 3 in Pure that you purchased was their last one! Nice find!

Top Bottom