What's new

Soap Reviews -A Series

I am curious about Stirling Soaps. They seem to offer more flavors than most other Artisans. I have used 4 or 5 of Stirlings flavors and except for the scent didn't notice any difference in performance. Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance from one Stirling scent to the next? Or is the soap the same, they are just adding a different fragrance oil to the recipe?

I am curious about Stirling Soaps. They seem to offer more flavors than most other Artisans. I have used 4 or 5 of Stirlings flavors and except for the scent didn't notice any difference in performance. Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance from one Stirling scent to the next? Or is the soap the same, they are just adding a different fragrance oil to the recipe?

To my knowledge the ingredient list does change from soap to soap. At least for some. Some have different things such as clay or even lanolin or an essential oil instead of fragrance oil, but i'm pretty sure the base ingredients remain the same.

As for performance no I haven't noticed a change, but I haven't made it to the lanolin soaps yet either. Like electric sheep or scots pine sheep.

I think Rod has a few different tweaks he uses. Like the "sheep" soaps use mutton tallow instead of beef tallow. And Port-au-Prince uses a spa clay. For the most part, it seems he has a standard base and just changes fragrance. But there are a few soaps that are different, and the descriptions let you know what's different. I think the performance is a little different as well; Electric Sheep lathers a little easier and has a post-shave feel similar to MWF, and PaP is super slick.

Check the descriptions on the site - it'll list whats different between the soaps.

Another note on the Honey Shea butter and oatmeal bath soap. I believe it has just been over a week and the bar has deteriorated almost completely on just use from my fiancé and I.. For over 3 bucks a bar that kind of has me skeptical now.

Nonetheless they are AMAZING bath soaps and I'm sure either way I will continue buying them.

However, I want to try other artisan bath soaps!

I have used Stirling bath soaps and they last well over two months for me with daily use. You are obviously wasting a lot of soap. Follow these steps and the soap will serve you well and last a lot longer:

1) Keep it in a soap dish that allows water to drain out below the soap, so it is never sitting in a pool of water.
2) Store it OUT of the shower. Take it in with you when you go in to shower, and take it out with you when you leave.
3) While in the shower, keep it out of the shower stream; it should never have running water hitting it.
4) Buy a poof and learn how to use it.
5) The poof is the shaving brush of showering; load the poof on the soap bar for a count of 10. Lather the soap on the poof with your other hand for a few seconds, adding a bit of water from the palm of the other hand once or twice until you have a nice lather going. Then, wash yourself with the poof. You will have a boatload of wonderful, fragrant soap lather. At the end, rinse out the poof well. After the shower, shake water out of the poof vigorously about 6 or 7 times or until virtually no water is coming out when you shake it, and then hang it up to dry.

And then, literally: "lather, rinse, repeat." In other words, do the same thing again the next day.

Your eyes will be opened to a new way of showering just the way your eyes were opened to a new way of shaving. A bar of Stirling soap will provide a nice, unctuous lather and will last at least two months.

You can thank me later.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405951926.931076.jpg

My SOTD!

Hardware: Merkur 37C with a fresh Polsilver SI blade, whipped dog 22mm silvertip, barrister and mann bay rum, and stirling lemon ice witch hazel and aloe aftershave.

This is probably by far the best shave I have ever got. It is perfect BBS and I felt no stinging when using the alum block. Barrister and mann is an amazing product! Everything worked so well together this morning!

Off to work now! Have a good day gents and thanks for looking!

If you have trouble lathering up the next Stirling, try using just a damp brush and load the heck out of it, adding drops of water back in as needed.

My ritual is to always soak the brush and puck in hot tap water for at least 5 minutes. Usually longer because I let them soak while I'm showering.

I usually let my Shaving Mug and Shaving Brush, soak while I am taking my shower. I put just enough water in my Shaving Mug to cover the Soap Puck. I use hot tap water. When I get ready to shave I pour the water out of the mug. I then squeeze the majority of the water out of my Brush. Do not heat the water in the micro-wave.(it will make you puck melt down the the consistency of Wallpaper Paste.....Don't ask just believe me.

View attachment 474993

My SOTD!

Hardware: Merkur 37C with a fresh Polsilver SI blade, whipped dog 22mm silvertip, barrister and mann bay rum, and stirling lemon ice witch hazel and aloe aftershave.

This is probably by far the best shave I have ever got. It is perfect BBS and I felt no stinging when using the alum block. Barrister and mann is an amazing product! Everything worked so well together this morning!

Off to work now! Have a good day gents and thanks for looking!

I just received a puck of vetiver/heather/clary sage in a trade and just the scent of it made me eager to try. Alas I had already shaved yesterday morning. Perhaps tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out. I also received a few other B&M samples.

I just received a puck of vetiver/heather/clary sage in a trade and just the scent of it made me eager to try. Alas I had already shaved yesterday morning. Perhaps tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out. I also received a few other B&M samples.

The vetiver scent smells nice! I'll make my way to it eventually.

Both are great soaps. Stirling SDM and B&M Seville are two of my favorite soaps. One vs the other I would give Stirling the edge for price and # of scents. They preform about equal to me.

I'll tell ya what - what Will did with the Fougère Aromatique was nothing short of genius. The performance, as far as I can tell, is the same as the standard tallow based soaps - which is fantastic. But the scent... Man that scent is exquisite. I keep my tub tucked away and have only used it three times since I got it, but every time I go in that cupboard I have to smell it. Even though the price was fairly high, I wish I would've bought two. Will said he will release the fougères again, likely before the end of the year, and I have every intention of picking more up.

That is very intriguing to know. I'm about to pull the trigger on Cheshire and Adagio tubs. Will is an awesome guy and has the best customer service. He was quick to get back to me with a military discount and cleared up any questions I had about his products. I was receiving emails back from him within 5 minutes.

He forever has my business

I'll tell ya what - what Will did with the Fougère Aromatique was nothing short of genius. The performance, as far as I can tell, is the same as the standard tallow based soaps - which is fantastic. But the scent... Man that scent is exquisite. I keep my tub tucked away and have only used it three times since I got it, but every time I go in that cupboard I have to smell it. Even though the price was fairly high, I wish I would've bought two. Will said he will release the fougères again, likely before the end of the year, and I have every intention of picking more up.

+1. I picked up the vegan version of the Fougere Aromatique as well. Very interesting, complex scent. Unlike other Fougeres I have tried. The performance is every bit as good as the best tallow I have used. I know it was a bit pricey but he must have put a lot of time and effort into producing that batch.

+1. I picked up the vegan version of the Fougere Aromatique as well. Very interesting, complex scent. Unlike other Fougeres I have tried. The performance is every bit as good as the best tallow I have used. I know it was a bit pricey but he must have put a lot of time and effort into producing that batch.

I actually have the tallow version, which I think is just the same base as the standard B&M tallow soaps. But the work he put into that scent really paid off. I'd feel confident saying that it's my favorite soap scent ever - and I've tried a lot of soaps and creams. Matter of fact, the only B&M scent that I wasn't in love with is Saeryan. It was OK, but wasn't my cup of tea...

+1

Is there a mailing list you can get on for B&M?

If I keep buying soaps I'm gonna have to go to the jewelers to keep the wife happy.

Happy wife happy life [emoji1]

Yes, there is a mailing list. And Will posts pretty regularly in other forums.

It it looks like three new offerings.

Top Bottom