What's new

Soap measurements ml vs grams/oz

Why are some soaps(solid) measured as a liquid? Why didn't they just weigh the soap ? Makes it hard to compare soaps by measurements.

Cella, prorraso, razorrock, actually it seems most Italian soaps are measured in ml or fl oz.

No cream or soap is a true liquid. Tobs is givin in grams/oz.

Cella, prorraso, razorrock, actually it seems most Italian soaps are measured in ml or fl oz.

No cream or soap is a true liquid. Tobs is givin in grams/oz.

Well would you look at that I own all 3 and had no idea LOL. This is strictly a guess and is most likely wrong but I would assume I am wrong. Maybe they pour the soap in liquid form and that is how they weigh it out.

Ml isn't weight it's volume. But that's what I guessed two . Still they could weigh the tub before/after on few to get the average weight then put that. But then again I always imagined it coming out as a paste when put in the tubs.

Makes more sense with mass produced creams though where a machine likely keeps track how much goes though the nozzle

Either way makes it impossible to compare Italian soaps to others for cost/weight or use/wieght

1 mL of water is 1g, the soap would be denser im assuming

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

100% agree with you. I'm just saying for my purposes I'm hoping its not too far off. But then again I am not someone who cares to know how many grams I use per shave. Assuming it is close and we assume that 1mL of Razorock soap is equal to 1 gram of razorock soap that would mean a 125mL tub or Razorock is roughly 4.4 oz. Which seems about right to me.

Seems close. For science:
Proraso- 150 mL/147g
IB Amici- 125 mL/4.2 oz (~119g)
Both products actually list weight and volume, which I find interesting.

US are Net Wt oz.
Italian and some other European are volume in mL and Fl Oz.
SOTD_101306.JPG
SOTD_012517b.JPG
SOTD_030917.JPG

100% agree with you. I'm just saying for my purposes I'm hoping its not too far off. But then again I am not someone who cares to know how many grams I use per shave. Assuming it is close and we assume that 1mL of Razorock soap is equal to 1 gram of razorock soap that would mean a 125mL tub or Razorock is roughly 4.4 oz. Which seems about right to me.
The density factor of soap is .801. That means that when you buy 1 kilo (1000 ml.)of Cella soap you get +/- 800 grams.

Seems close. For science:
Proraso- 150 mL/147g
IB Amici- 125 mL/4.2 oz (~119g)
Both products actually list weight and volume, which I find interesting.
150ml multiplied by the density factor of soap which is .801 comes out to 120 grams
125 ml. = 100 grams= 3.381 oz. go figure!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It does seem unnecessarily confusing, but ultimately irrelevant. If you're measuring/comparing soaps I assume you want to know the price difference. That is far more a factor of how much product is required for each shave.

I have not done this with soaps, but I did a cream comparison a couple of years ago with Castle Forbes and Proraso. You'd think there was a huge difference in price, but it turns out the Castle Forbes cost me half a penny a day more in actual use.

But is that Captain's Choice tub ounces or fluid ounces? makes a big difference as one is weight and the other is volume!

150ml multiplied by the density factor of soap which is .801 comes out to 120 grams
125 ml. = 100 grams= 3.381 oz. go figure!!
Something odd there, that's for sure. I only listed what the products said on the label, I don't have a scale to test accuracy. Although that's irrelevant, since the Amici is completely gone and the Proraso is at maybe 2/3. I'm curious, where did you get the density of soap? Sounds a bit light, but more importantly, I feel like each soap has a unique density, since they all have a unique mix of ingredients. Even if the same ingredients are listed, they are unlikely to be used in the same ratios. Think about brownies. Are they all the same density? Not in my experience; some are lighter, almost like cake, while others rival fudge in density and richness. Man, now I want some sugary snacks.:lol:

The density factor of soap is .801. That means that when you buy 1 kilo (1000 ml.)of Cella soap you get +/- 800 grams.
I suspect that the density of soap varies from brand to brand. 100 ml of a hard soap like DR Harris is going to have a different mass than a soft soap like Catie's Bubbles.

One liter is 1000ml, Kilo is a prefix for liter so one kilo-liter is 1,000,000 ml. Whenever i see kilo standing alone, it's always assumed it's reffering to a weight. (Based on having to use metric since 1975.)

150ml = 5.0721 US fl. oz.

dave

Top Bottom