What's new

Soap and excessive heat?

I have an order of soap coming and I'll be gone several days. Living in the desert, it's still around 100F during the days. Is multiple days up to 100F exposure going to be a problem with shaving soaps, esp. tallow based ones like this one is?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you are refering to traditional triple milled hard tallow soaps then I would not expect them to be negatively affected. If you mean modern softer croap type soaps then I have no idea.

I don't like the idea of too much heat on soap products.. of course it'll depend on a number of factors, like which kind of soaps you're dealing with and indeed who you ask.. some might say it could ruin it while others will say you're worrying unnecessarily.

If you ask me, I'd imagine it's not ideal. Obviously a cool dry place is what would be best. But then again, I suppose you don't know how any soap was stored before you got it.. especially in warmer regions.. or how many hot vans it's drove around in before getting to you.

Some of the smaller retailers have climate controlled rooms for their soaps, balms, splash etc.. I know Geo Fatboy at "Shave Nation" do as I've saw their inventory in the YouTube videos and they'd mentioned it was climate controlled to keep the products perfect prior to sale.

If you mean it's going to be sitting outside on your doorstep in 100F heat for multiple days.. I don't mean to worry you any more than you are already, but I'd probably be concerned about that if it was me too, personally.. especially if it's a big order with lots of expensive products. I wouldn't mind as much if it was inexpensive.

I'm guessing it's already in transit or you would have contacted the seller to hold it back a few days. Is there nothing you could do about it? Like get a friend, relative, neighbour to receive it at their address and put it inside in the cool? A lot of these delivery companies will send you an e-mail with option to amend it if you're not going to be there.

All this said, I am a bit overboard, there was a bit of a minor heatwave here a few weeks ago and I put my fan in my soap room while I faced the heat in my own room.. 😄 The soap got better treatment than I did. So yeah, I sympathise with you on this. I hope you can work something out.

Good old Sunlight soap sat out on the tank stand on a saucer in the full sun until it was so dry it cracked, badly, it still washed yer hands and lasted for years .... I would not worry, if you make soap out of little bits of soap you can speed the process by boiling water and condensing lots of little bits into a big bit.
water boils at 100C or something something something in Fahrenheit .... 100F is 38C yes its hot but about all it will cook off is the moisture content.

I've sold penguin eggs to Ethiopians, unrefrigerated.

Top Bottom