What's new

So I've decided to try out this old 1960s Gillette Slim / Hi, I'm new here.

Hi, after reading countless forums, Wiki, etc. today, I've landed here.

My son is home from college and complained this morning how he gets in-growns and acne on his neck after shaving. I gave him some pointers, put a new blade on the ol' Mach III handle and let him have at it.

Then I shaved, thinking, "This is so much better with a fresh blade". And then it dawned on me after contemplating the experience of chewing open a human proof, $16 five pack of new blades: "I use these damned things too long because they're stupidly expensive. And they don't last because the useless aloe strip makes them impossible to clean correctly. They're engineered to be horrible as quickly as possible".

I'm not sure exactly where it came from (probably my Grandpa), but I have a '60s Gillette Slim in decent shape, so I ordered a 16 blade sampler pack. I'm no stranger to wet shaving - I've been doing it for roughly 25 years after swearing off face grinding Rotary and muck retaining foil shavers. It's not that the Mach III is bad, it's just not that good. Really, except for being slightly easier to use, I don't think it's appreciably better than the cheap single blade disposables I started with back when T-top Camaros were still popular.

I understand the adjustable Gillette isn't the recommended way to start, but it has the considerable advantage of being free. I also understand canned gel isn't preferred, but I want to approach this as an engineer, change as few variables as possible and then build upon them. If I can start with a shave as least as good as a fresh Mach III blade, not maul my face and incrementally improve afterwards, I'll consider it a win. Given this:

* What's a good setting to start with on the adjustable Gillette? I'd say I have mildly sensitive skin.
* What's a good starter / forgiving blade? Bic? (full list of what I'm receiving at the end)
* Is a decent double blade appreciably more difficult to guide than an old school, slim head, non-articulated single blade disposable?
* Is a quality canned gel brought to a good lather and applied to a warm/wet face a reasonable start? Assume 2 passes.

Thanks any advice you can give. I'm interested in giving this a try while minimizing blood loss.

I'll be receiving the following blades:

1 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 1 GOAL (Singapore) 1 TREET Platinum (Pakistan) 1 DERBY (Turkey) 1 SUPER-MAX Platinum (India) 1 SUPER-MAX Stainless (India) 1 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan) 1 ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia) 1 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 1 NACET Platinum (Russia) 1 NACET Stainless (Russia) 1 BIC Chrome Platinum (Greece) 1 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 1 Silver Blue (Russia) 2 Blades BLUEBIRD (Europe)

Last edited:
You'll need more than one of each blade to make a confident decision about which is best. I spent 6 months testing various blades until I came up with my favorite three: Gillette Silver Blue, Feather, Astra SP.

I had in my long-gone youth started shaving with a Gillette adjustable, so easy for me to go back to one, a Fatboy. I set it at five, turned it down to four after a week, back to five, then six. I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Talk yourself away from the canned goop as soon as you feel comfortable to do so. Get a tube of Speick cream and an inexpensive brush and go to it. You'll thank yourself.

The biggest difference between Mach 3 and Gillette Adjustable shave technique is the pressure. Really, use no pressure with your adjustable. The weight of the razor should be what propels the blades against the skin. Unlike the Mach 3, where I had to press the razor head against my face.

Have fun.

FWIW, I ordered another sampler containing more blades... 5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless PLATINUM COATED (Japan) 5 7O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 5 BLUEBIRD Hi-Stainless (Turkey) 5 BIC Chrome Platinum (Greece)

Hello and welcome here. B&B is a great forum. Yopu will have fun (too much) and learn a lot here. I would suggest that you avoid the temption to over-analyze razors, blades, soaps, creams, pre-shave oils, aftershaves, balms, brushes, bowls, etc. Remember that this is only hsaving, so pick decent quality items and enjoy.

To your questions:

* What's a good setting to start with on the adjustable Gillette? I'd say I have mildly sensitive skin. - I'd try 3-4 and adjust from there.

* What's a good starter / forgiving blade? Bic? (full list of what I'm receiving at the end) - I'm not a fan of Bics. I like the Astra SP's and Gillette Silver Blues better, but that's just me. Again, don't get entangled in the thicket of scores of possible blades.

* Is a decent double blade appreciably more difficult to guide than an old school, slim head, non-articulated single blade disposable? - Not really. Use a shallow angle, just enoigh where you can feel and hear the blade engage with your beard, and very low or no pressure on the razor head against your skin.

* Is a quality canned gel brought to a good lather and applied to a warm/wet face a reasonable start? Assume 2 passes. - Yes. Canned goo is OK for starers. You will want to move to a soap or cream in shirt order. Prorasso green is a stalwart here. Works very well, is easy to manage, and not expensive. Also, you'll need a brush. I recommend a Semogue 620 boar.

Good luck!!!

Welcome to B&B. Since you have sensitive skin, I would go with the #1 as the mildest setting. One of the most forgiving blades and most valued blade is probably the Astra SP. Keep us posted.

WARHAWK

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Welcome!

I'm shaving and learning with a Slim, as well. It's a great razor, so don't let that intimidate you. If I had to guess, a lot of the concern about adjustables comes from folks trying to get overly aggressive when they ought to be thinking about their shave. In any case, I agree to set it at 3 or below until you get the feel for it, then gradually dial up until you get the save you want (unless you're already there).

If anything, a DE razor is easier to guide than the Mach 3 (which is also what I left behind). In fact, the trick is letting the razor do the work. As mentioned above, the only pressure should come from the weight of the razor (or a similar pressure with you cannot rely on gravity to work for you).

My favorite blade in the Slim, so far, is that Treet Platinum in your sampler pack. However, you will be told many times that everyone's optimal razor/blade combination is different from everyone else's, so you may as well just dive in and go for it. I would advise going with a blade that you have more than one of so that you can easily revisit that blade after you are more comfortable in your technique.

Enjoy!

TL

I had my first shave with a Gillette Slim Adjustable yesterday, used a Personna Lab Blue (pretty sharp blade), dial set on 4. I did not find it particularly aggressive, and will likely go to 5 or 6 next shave and use a slick soap. Good advice here already, just don't PRESS on the razor. That's the biggest adjustment I've had to make. I'm better at it, but not perfect yet. Go slow, and enjoy the shave.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
If you start at 1 you should be able to go up a setting and get to 3 in as many shaves. There's nothing wrong with using an adjustable from the start; The adjustabiliy is a great advantage. Whatever blade you start with, stay with it long enough to get used to it and your setting and you'll be fine.

Hi, after reading countless forums, Wiki, etc. today, I've landed here.

My son is home from college and complained this morning how he gets in-growns and acne on his neck after shaving. I gave him some pointers, put a new blade on the ol' Mach III handle and let him have at it.

Then I shaved, thinking, "This is so much better with a fresh blade". And then it dawned on me after contemplating the experience of chewing open a human proof, $16 five pack of new blades: "I use these damned things too long because they're stupidly expensive. And they don't last because the useless aloe strip makes them impossible to clean correctly. They're engineered to be horrible as quickly as possible".

I'm not sure exactly where it came from (probably my Grandpa), but I have a '60s Gillette Slim in decent shape, so I ordered a 16 blade sampler pack. I'm no stranger to wet shaving - I've been doing it for roughly 25 years after swearing off face grinding Rotary and muck retaining foil shavers. It's not that the Mach III is bad, it's just not that good. Really, except for being slightly easier to use, I don't think it's appreciably better than the cheap single blade disposables I started with back when T-top Camaros were still popular.

I understand the adjustable Gillette isn't the recommended way to start, but it has the considerable advantage of being free. I also understand canned gel isn't preferred, but I want to approach this as an engineer, change as few variables as possible and then build upon them. If I can start with a shave as least as good as a fresh Mach III blade, not maul my face and incrementally improve afterwards, I'll consider it a win. Given this:

* What's a good setting to start with on the adjustable Gillette? I'd say I have mildly sensitive skin.
* What's a good starter / forgiving blade? Bic? (full list of what I'm receiving at the end)
* Is a decent double blade appreciably more difficult to guide than an old school, slim head, non-articulated single blade disposable?
* Is a quality canned gel brought to a good lather and applied to a warm/wet face a reasonable start? Assume 2 passes.

Thanks any advice you can give. I'm interested in giving this a try while minimizing blood loss.

I'll be receiving the following blades:

1 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 1 GOAL (Singapore) 1 TREET Platinum (Pakistan) 1 DERBY (Turkey) 1 SUPER-MAX Platinum (India) 1 SUPER-MAX Stainless (India) 1 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan) 1 ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia) 1 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 1 NACET Platinum (Russia) 1 NACET Stainless (Russia) 1 BIC Chrome Platinum (Greece) 1 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 1 Silver Blue (Russia) 2 Blades BLUEBIRD (Europe)
On the contrary, the Gillette adjustable is an excellent razor to start with, you have the choice of aggression levels. To start at one would be recommended. If one is not suffice go to the next level as need be. Leave the Feathers blades til you get better at shaving.

Welcome!

A lot of good answers already. The slim is a great razor and will service you well. I started using mine on #3 at first and went on from there leaving it more or less settled on that number for a long time.
I recently got back to shaving again and are now using it on #1 with really descent results. Maybe not as tight a shave but it leaves my face nice and no irritation or razor burn at all. I have since long more or less given up the idea of BBS(Babys Bottom Smooth) shaves because I have very sensitive skin and thick beard growth and I end up with a 12 o'clock shadow even before 12 so its not that much into it anyways.
I think one should see the adjustability of a razor more as a way to make one razor fit a lot of different skin types instead of thinking of it as a grading where the highest grade means the best shave.

So I gave the old Gillette a whirl with a Gillette blade. Wound up with nicks around my jaw line - I started pressing too hard. I also started at 4 and wound up dialing it back to 2. Also, I believe I discovered something of critical importance I haven't seen mentioned anywhere:

I take it that it's normal for the razor to put a slight curve on the blade as it clamps (not along the blade itself, but the short edge)? I Just gently tightened the clamshells, which left the blade sticking straight out in "skin removal" mode. Tightening the mechanism just a bit more until snug put a slight arch into the blade and angled the edges down to what looks like a more sane angle.

All I can say is, "Thank God for styptic!". I haven't drawn that kind of blood shaving in a long time. At least they were single cuts, not 3 in a row.

Last edited:
Hi Pheron:

I just tuned in. Don't forget the last hard quarter turn on the handle to lock the blade in place.

If you don't do this, it gets bloody fast.
Also, the original instruction sheet shows settings 1-3 are mild., 4-6 are normal., 7-9 are aggressive.

The Slim is a great razor. I bought mine new for $1.95. Wish all my investments did as well.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice - I could have used it this morning. I might have saved some blood! Of course had I spent 15 seconds with Google and read the instructions, I could have avoided a Jackson Pollack of blood and shaving cream.

Thanks.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, absolutely, you need to get that last quarter turn done for Slims and Fatboys. However, loosen it up when you adjust it (and retighten). I just, finally, got the knack of my Slim, and it is completely worth it. An excellent shave with no irritation, and fun to boot.

TL

Thanks for the advice - I could have used it this morning. I might have saved some blood! Of course had I spent 15 seconds with Google and read the instructions, I could have avoided a Jackson Pollack of blood and shaving cream.

Thanks.
So lesson learned?

Top Bottom