What's new

So I got a bottle of Glenlivet 12

I am hardly a hard liqour person. I can drink tequila (Patron anejo and Cabo Wabo ONLY)and I will never turn down a drink of Crown Cask 16. However, I was doing some reading in the forum about all the different flavor profiles depending on the region the scotch came from. So to my surprise at the store on base they had Glenlivet 12. I figure what the hell. I actually wanted to buy some Ginger ale just in case I absolutely hated it but I dont think there is any at all on this base!!! Whatever.

So I got to drinking. of course no decent glasses, had to settle on a juice glass. I had no idea if the drink was supposed to be in the fridge or room temperature. I found out after a while that I do not like it straight out of the fridge, even after letting it sit for 5 min, and room temperature was way too peppery up front. I guess that could be a way to describe it, I still have no idea what I am drinking yet! However the finish was subtle with no alcohol bite at the end. Now I need to find a bottle that has a sweeter taste at the end. Then again it has to be something Ican find here. I need to look into them custom ordering bottles to ship with their normal liqour order.

Last edited:
Congratulations on entering the world of Single Malts.

You paid for it, you drink it how you like but here are some guidelines:

The end effect of a rare 35 yr. old bottle of SMW and the cheapest bottle of blended whisky is the same. So, if you're drinking just to drink and become inebriated, you might as well buy the cheap stuff and pour cola, ginger ale or lemonade on it to mask the flavour. If, however, you want a drink to sip and appreciate the different tastes contained within which have been created by master craftsmen then open up the SMW and drink it neat, at room temperature and, after your first appreciative sips, add a few drops of water which will change the whisky in interesting ways.

Whisky is best at room temperature. The real issue with adding ice is the uncontrolled dilution of your drink, I know the Japanese like their whisky in a tumbler with a block of ice chipped into a ball by the barman but that's in Japan! As a side observation when whisky is chilled sometimes it becomes cloudy. This has been perceived as a fault. It is in fact the oils and fats approaching solid state. To prevent this appearance some whiskies are chill filtered, by which the whisky is chilled and passed through increasingly fine filters to remove the oils and fats. I've been told that this was in response to the American market where ice was added automatically to the drink creating this cloudiness. It is suggested that chill filtering removes flavour (imagine lamb chop without that layer of fat) but as no distillery has produced two identical bottles one chill filtered one not a head to head comparison isn't possible.

Before you drink take a few sniffs at the glass; rather like wine you'll be able to pick out some aromas and flavours. To assist in this try to drink from a brandy or tulip glass, something that will contain the aromas and direct them in a concentrated fashion. The traditional whisky tumbler is useless for this.

I understand that the pepperiness at the front of the tongue is the alcohol that you're tasting.

I hope this gives you a bit of background and is useful to you.

The most important thing is Enjoy your whisky.

If room temp is a little strong, and fridge temp is too cold, I suggest swirling one big piece of ice with the room temp whisky for a few seconds, then removing the ice with a clean fork. The ice will melt a bit and very slightly dilute and chill the whisky. Since you are removing it, the ice won't continue to melt, solving the major problem when adding ice.

I don't think anybody mentioned this, but pour a bit into your glass and let it sit ("air") for a while. The whiskey will mellow a bit and lose a lot of the harshness.

Thanks for the tips! Being an inexperienced scotch drinker I can imagine that over time I will be able to pick apart the flavors. For the price though I am not gonna drink it just to get a buzz. Plus, I am pleased with the fact that I did not give up and use a mixer.

I am really inexperienced myself. By the help of the gents on here, I bought The Macallan 12 myself. Talk about a sweet drink! The very best neat liquor I have had in my life. Try with chocolate... :drool:

I'm really curious to how the 18 tastes now!

I am really inexperienced myself. By the help of the gents on here, I bought The Macallan 12 myself. Talk about a sweet drink! The very best neat liquor I have had in my life. Try with chocolate... :drool:

I'm really curious to how the 18 tastes now!

Even better. Especially with a piece of dark chocolate.

This was a nice gift from my parents for the holidays. Best SMW I've had to date. Although my list isn't quite that long yet.

I always have a bottle of Glenlivet on hand. Only I partake of this wondrous drink.

I sometimes allow others to ....get a whiff of the Glenlivet ..emanating off the cork....but that's it.

I keep a bottle of cheap rotgut for guests.

Top Bottom