What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

Being in Regina Sask and of Ukrainian descent, I can tell you the variance of quality etc in perogies can be amazing. The best are, of course, home made or by those who really care. Like my grandmother who would spend hours making authentic Ukrainian dishes. Her perogies were legend. Ingredients ranged from cheese and potatoes to mixtures of meat, cheese, potatoes, vegetables and the desert ones had cherries, blueberries, mincemeat etc. They were spectacular. My parents both made cabbage rolls, buckwheat, borscht and other dishes. There's some Ukrainian restaurants around but honestly, they really don't measure up to what I got used to. Funny thing, the worst perogies I've had were at a Ukrainian festival. There it was quantity over quality.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May

Overlander Evening

Last night’s shave
Karve brass Overlander on PAA el Fantasma Naranja Handle
Shark Platinum (6)
Damp facecloth aka “shave binky
AP ShaveCo Dinosaur G5C 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: warm shower :001_wub: and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Lather: ARKO! bowl-loaded; face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky and a drop of hyaluronic acid
Post-shave: Equate moisturizer

Remembered to rinse more. The edges, they lost their bloom. Thankfully, I had at least another blade in my tuck, so the next shave should be a ticket back to Smoovesville. And I like being in Smoovesville so much more than Scraped Face City.

Wifey made the best pierogies I’ve ever had, but the effort was so much more than boiling and frying ones from the store and I value my bride’s comfort more than the brief time a pierogi spends on my tastebuds during its cycle of reincarnation.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Wifey made broccoli soup tonight and the pea soup is still simmer8ng.

Not as good as broccoli soup or pea soup, but in others news…

First, an email from Dhris Kirchen saying my aluminum Overlander is in the post.

Second, I received a call from my Doctor’s office saying I can resume normal activities including mowing the overgrowth that once was our lawn.

IMG_1492.gif

thombrogan

Modern May

Overlander Evening

Last night’s pleasant shave
Shark Platinum (1)
No brush, not even a bedazzled one
Pre-shave: face wash with bar soap, drop of non-slick dimethicone, drop of hyaluronic acid
Lather: Van der Hagen Shave Butter
Post-shave: warm shower :001_wub: and a drop of hyaluronic acid

New blade. Thought my whiskers were hydrated enough by the time I got done rinsing the soap off my face and neck. Applied a dollop of dimethicone to use as a shave gel. It was not as slick as my last bottle from another seller. So I put a drop of hyaluronic acid over that. Current bott of that is hella slick, but not on top of my current dimethicone. VDH Shave Butter to the rescue.

Shave was comfortable enough, but not as good as a post-shower shave. Will use a fresh blade and more thoroughly soak my stubble next time.

Thanks to my Bride being an amazing chef, pea soup with tender ham is on the menu for today. #Blessed #NotWorthy

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Modern May

Overlander Evening

Tonight’s nifty shave
Shark Platinum (1)
Lather: VDH Luxury Scented; face-lathered

Fresh blade in me Overlander and a fresh shower and drop of hyaluronic acid before lathering.

Everything’s a shave stick if you’re brave enough

A puck of VDH confirms to this claim. And my AP ShaveCo Dinosaur‘s plush G5C bristles were all up in that making a lather so splendidly slick that my razor glided happily across my neck and face wiping whiskers away with high levels of the smoov. Lots of j-hooks and scything movements caromed the blade’s edges through would-be stragglers.

The aftershave found a few places where my overzealousness wasn’t reined in by my reigning DE.

Mowed the lawn tonight. It’s needed it since March and I finally got to do it. Will need to do it again because one can only clear so much jungle at once. Felt like dynamite to get that done.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Being in Regina Sask and of Ukrainian descent, I can tell you the variance of quality etc in perogies can be amazing. The best are, of course, home made or by those who really care. Like my grandmother who would spend hours making authentic Ukrainian dishes. Her perogies were legend. Ingredients ranged from cheese and potatoes to mixtures of meat, cheese, potatoes, vegetables and the desert ones had cherries, blueberries, mincemeat etc. They were spectacular. My parents both made cabbage rolls, buckwheat, borscht and other dishes. There's some Ukrainian restaurants around but honestly, they really don't measure up to what I got used to. Funny thing, the worst perogies I've had were at a Ukrainian festival. There it was quantity over quality.
I'm getting hungry.

Wifey made broccoli soup tonight and the pea soup is still simmer8ng.

Not as good as broccoli soup or pea soup, but in others news…

First, an email from Dhris Kirchen saying my aluminum Overlander is in the post.

Second, I received a call from my Doctor’s office saying I can resume normal activities including mowing the overgrowth that once was our lawn.

View attachment 1842943
Good news! Do you use a lawn tractor? I find them to be relaxing...particularly with a nice cigar and some music pumped into my ears.

I do. I usually sing while mowing, but barely did tonight. It’s an Ariens (G-d, I hate that name) with a 42” deck. It’s orange.
Nice! Got myself a 48" Scag Liberty a couple of years ago. I wish it had a spring suspension system, but it's nice, and cuts well (better than the Sears tractor I had for 15 years). It has a cup holder, but no ashtray, no clippers, and no windproof propane torch.

It's also got a 30HP motor. Tooltime Tim would be proud. :a24:

thombrogan

bee’s knees.

Please don’t disclose the secret ingredient 🤫

Put a little Cremo in that VDH Luxury.

I bet that would give it a turbo boost.

Original and Bourbon Cremo both seemed to mess with my breathing, but I used to mix the Original with Neutrogena Sensitive because I read about it here. Weird to have a product my skin loved and lungs hated when I typically find ones my nose loves and skin hates.

Please don’t disclose the secret ingredient 🤫

I bet that would give it a turbo boost.

Original and Bourbon Cremo both seemed to mess with my breathing, but I used to mix the Original with Neutrogena Sensitive because I read about it here. Weird to have a product my skin loved and lungs hated when I typically find ones my nose loves and skin hates.
@thombrogan

That is unfortunate. I use VDH Luxury because it is skin friendly, but it is not the slickest of lathers. Adding a little Cremo does wonders for preventing stick-slip issues. You might try a shot of glycerin.

thombrogan

Modern May

Fatip Friday, bebe!

Tonight’s nifty shave
Fatip Grande
Sharp Titanium (3)
Lather: VDH Luxury Scented; face-lathered

Put the Fatip’s lustrously nickel-plated cap on my neck and put it in gear.. it was like the work week was being erased with every shorn whisker. Barely, if ever, did I feel the edges of the blade on my skin, but I could feel the resistance of each whisker presenting itself for trip down my sink. I was a slow-poke, but it was a rare instance of savoring. It was decadently awesome.

You might try a shot of glycerin

I think the drop of hyaluronic acid I use to help soften my whiskers has glycerin in it because my VDH is slick. Or maybe it’s because I make a thin lather?

Tomorrow, I get to schlep cherry tree branches and mow the lawn again. #Blessed It would usually be a weekly thing, but only so much could be done last time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

pierogies
I don't think I have ever heard of or eaten such a thing.

Entering it into the Google machine returned what I would call dumplings if it was made by an asian restaurant or ravioli if it was made by an Italian restaurant.

Is a pierogie similar to ravioli? Or is there something that makes then completely different? What is the standard/best filling? Is there a different way to eat them that ravioli and dumpling eaters don't do?

I am not trying to start a culture war, genuinely interested.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Pierogies are better than any dumpling or Asian pot stirrers or Italian ravioli, etc.. At least, the homemade ones I’ve had were. They are often fried in oil and end up crisp on the outside and perfect on the inside.

We had a friend years ago when we lived in PA. He is Polish and made outstanding pierogies.

thombrogan

Pierogis are more like raviolis than they’re different. The fillings usually contain potato and cheeses along with many other ingredients (including herbs and alliums).

If you buy mass-produced, soulless ones, boil them until they float, remove from water, and fry in butter until their skins are crispy. It will be the simple carbs, saturated fat, and salt your tastebuds demand.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Pierogis are more like raviolis than they’re different. The fillings usually contain potato and cheeses along with many other ingredients (including herbs and alliums).

If you buy mass-produced, soulless ones, boil them until they float, remove from water, and fry in butter until their skins are crispy. It will be the simple carbs, saturated fat, and salt your tastebuds demand.
Pierogis are big in my home state of Wisconsin. There is a very large Polish community who introduced this magic to the rest of us.

Top Bottom