What's new

Slant Rookie Advice Request

Hello all BOSS experts,

I have delved into the crooked world of slants but need some advice. I was enticed to purchase a PAA monster plastic slant and got the one that glows :) After my first shave, I was really in intrigued with the experience and results.

I will admit it was scary seeing this instrument loaded with a blade, but once I got going I was fine. I received a lot of audible feedback and scraping noises/sensations. I also felt like a lot of tugging was happening, but I attribute that maybe to my blade choice of a Parker Premium or was it my technique? I went with something middle of the road for sharpness to play it safe, but now I am wondering if maybe a sharper Gillette Nacet or Gillette SharpEdge from my available inventory would pair better.

The shave was definitely efficient for my one pass routine and quite close. No cuts or weepers but I had much more sting feedback from the alum rub then I would normally get with my Fatip Gentile/Nacet combo. Because I was so tentative, I missed some big areas but 24 hours later, my growth is very sedate and the missed areas have evened out so it is definitely a 48-hour shave. Any suggestions or feedback appreciated. It definitely was an interesting shave that I am not sure if I loved or hated it.

I have the Filament Fakelite slant and find two things improve the shave. Firstly, a metal handle; I find it shaves better with more weight behind it, rather than me pushing it. Second, sharper blades definitely make for a nicer experience. Slant or not, you should not expect tugging. They are noisy razors, so the feedback is fine.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I also have the "ElF" or "El Fantasma." This is a wonderful razor, but it can be quirky. I find it mild and lightweight out of the box, two things that tend to be less satisfying to me. However this is easy to fix! As @silverlifter has pointed out, a nice stainless handle will add some mass and also, depending on the handle, some length. I regularly use mine with a RazoRock "UFO" stainless handle. It fits my hand well and is pleasantly weighted. If you prefer titanium handles that's fine.

As far as blades go, helical slants like the ElF get more out of a blade by adding additional stiffness through the twist process as well as curvature. In general I find that makes a blade shave better for me. I have been using Dorco Prime blades lately, however I find them a very slight step down from the Astra SP.

As I said I find the razor quite mild, I tend also to add a trimmed blade between the baseplate and blade as a shim. This opens up the razor just a bit and gives a closer shave.

Have fun with it! For most of us the "Monster" series are the closest we'll get to feeling a Fasan Double Slant or Merkur "Super Slant" shave. Even if you have both of those vintage razors (koff...) chances are they're pretty worn and while they give good shave still, it's not like brand spankin' new.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've had a lot of fun shaving with the ATT X1 AC Slant for several months now. It was my first exposure to slant razors, though, being an Artist Club razor blade design rather than a DE razor blade design, I found out..... the technique I developed while using it didn't translate to DE slant shaving.

I just started a concentrated trial with a few DE Slant razors I have accumulated. I had my first shave with the ATT S1 I picked up after they announced they were closing up shop. I am sorry I waited until they were stopping production to buy one. I feel a bit guilty about that. On its first use, the ATT S1 proved to me, my technique didn't require much adjustment with this razor. It provided a smooth, comfortable yet close shave. I'll use it 3 or 4 more times before I move to the next razor on the list. I haven't made that selection yet... I have an S2 Open Comb base plate showing up soon and that might be the right move, but I do want to get to the 37C soon. Mine has been sitting around, unused, for far too long.

my shave journey took a path through slants a while back. I had been using a 34c and wanted something that did a better job on my coarse, grey growth that gets shaved about 3 times a week. I got a 37c and it was better but not smoother but I used it for a couple of years and used my 34c if I had only 1 days growth. I had been nervous about trying an open comb design but finally looked at the TImeless. After much research and discussion with the guys at Timeless I got a titanium .95 OC and have never looked back. It was smoother, more efficient, and more comfortable than either my 34 or 37... which now sit in a box. Adding a .95SB plate made my "low growth" shaves (1 or 2 days) even more comfortable. As you can imagine, the more you use what you have, the better you get and for me I found that the OC did the job better than the slant. Every face is different, tho. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I recently got a Timeless Bronze 0.38... I would have passed on it had Larry/ @LRod not reviewed it so highly.... I've only used it once... but it has already earned its way onto my top razor list. Fortunately.... or unfortunately, this list is growing. I haven't had a bad shave with any of my new/newer razors. I would be using it for a few shaves now if I wasn't already planning this DE slant trial.

I will say this.... I sort of wish I was like the people here who experiment with various razor blades. That would be a lot less expensive than trying a lot of razors and loving them all. <eg> evil grin.

I will say this.... I sort of wish I was like the people here who experiment with various razor blades. That would be a lot less expensive than trying a lot of razors and loving them all. <eg> evil grin.
I honestly believe that a change of razors is more profound than a change of blade. My brain tells me that a blade is a blade, some being more sharp and others less sharp. Now a razor is a different story. Each one is totally different from each other. Expensive yes, but a heck of a lot more fun than simply switching out a blade.
That's just me though!

I tend also to add a trimmed blade between the baseplate and blade as a shim. This opens up the razor just a bit and gives a closer shave.

I agree! Shim your ElF. If Nacets are good blades for you (as they are for me), don't hesitate to use them in your monster. Sharp is smooth is my motto.

I took the sharp edge off my shims rapidly using a bench sander. But just a piece of sandpaper should do the just fine. You may want to tape the edge you are holding for safety's sake.

The less edge you remove, the better supported the edge of the shaving blade will be... but in a torsion slant like the monster, the shaving edges are plenty stiff. So I took much of the bevel off of my special monster shim to get a bigger 'shim gap'.

The shim I've customized for my ElF stays in the razor until it rotates into use. I never ElF without it.

I've only ever tried the Merkur 37C slant. They can be quite scary first time out. I agree that you get a lot of feedback from the blade. It does make a heck of a sound.

However, It's the only razor I use now. One pass is as good as two on any of my other razors.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I honestly believe that a change of razors is more profound than a change of blade. My brain tells me that a blade is a blade, some being more sharp and others less sharp. Now a razor is a different story. Each one is totally different from each other. Expensive yes, but a heck of a lot more fun than simply switching out a blade.
That's just me though!
I wish I didn't agree with you. LOL. I'm having a blast but it is costing me a small fortune... mainly because I'm loving all my recent purchases and won't be selling any of them. I totaled up what I've spent since March an hour ago or so.... I won't post how much I've spent... it's a bit embarrassing to me... but zero mistakes. Everything I've purchased since March: razors, brushes, soaps... are all exceeding my expectations.

I've only ever used the RR German 37 slant so my experience may not be particularly relevant here but..

Although it's been a while since I last used it I've had nothing but great shaves from it. As you suggest, most slants are quite efficient and the 37 is no exception. Most definitely a 48hr shaver for me. But, then again I have a farily light beard FWIW.

Interestingly enough, I found that the 37 clamped the blade so tightly that it didn't really matter what blade I used in it. In fact, blades that I found challenging or even near-useless in a normal DE worked magnificently for me in the slant.

I would guess that your initial feeling may be due, at least in part, to the novelty of the new format. Most of us are probably a bit tentative when shaving with something unfamiliar. Perhaps shorter, more confident strokes will see your experience with it improve?

Good luck!

Hello all BOSS experts,

I have delved into the crooked world of slants but need some advice. I was enticed to purchase a PAA monster plastic slant and got the one that glows :) After my first shave, I was really in intrigued with the experience and results.

I will admit it was scary seeing this instrument loaded with a blade, but once I got going I was fine. I received a lot of audible feedback and scraping noises/sensations. I also felt like a lot of tugging was happening, but I attribute that maybe to my blade choice of a Parker Premium or was it my technique? I went with something middle of the road for sharpness to play it safe, but now I am wondering if maybe a sharper Gillette Nacet or Gillette SharpEdge from my available inventory would pair better.

The shave was definitely efficient for my one pass routine and quite close. No cuts or weepers but I had much more sting feedback from the alum rub then I would normally get with my Fatip Gentile/Nacet combo. Because I was so tentative, I missed some big areas but 24 hours later, my growth is very sedate and the missed areas have evened out so it is definitely a 48-hour shave. Any suggestions or feedback appreciated. It definitely was an interesting shave that I am not sure if I loved or hated it.
Hello,
I have zero experience with any PAA razors but I do have some experience with slants:
Have: Above The Tie X1 Slant & Merkur 37C Slant
Had: Merkur 39C Slant & Hoffritz Slant (vintage rebadged Merkur 37C)
As (Kim) @Phoenixkh mentioned, the X1 slant is a single edge that slightly twists the blade. So it's not a typical slant in design but the shave result is. The Merkur & Hoffritz is more like what you have. In DE slants, I've only kept my 37C because it's really really good. Sounds to me that a change of blade is what you need. That's what I would try first.
That's usually the indicator of tugging. You want a sharper blade! I've tried those Parker blades and they're at the bottom of the list (for me). Tried one a while back and threw away the pack. Another thing you can try along with the blade change is a faster/longer stroke when you shave. If it's a slow stroke with a weak blade, it might tug on certain razors. Hope this helps!
Good Luck!

I too love slants! The slant type replaced all my standard DE razors.

I tried these:
- PAA La Criatura - found it to be too light to be effective for me, returned.
- Parker Semi-Slant - is excellent, but returned because I like the Yaqi Slope better
- Fatip Lo Storto Original Open Comb - was very good, but the fit and finish wasn't great, sold
- Razorock Superslant with L2, 2++ and 3 plates - great, smooth razor, but it's pricey and I was getting results as good from cheaper razors, sold it
- Yaqi Mellon OC slant - was decent, loads of blade noise, sold it
- Yaqi Slope - current and is great with Muhle standard handle

The Yaqi Slope is the only DE type razor I have now and works great for a fast shave with shaving oil. All my other razors are vintage Schicks and GEMs with one outlier being my Feather Artist Club SS.

I used a fresh Gillette Nacet blade for my second shave which gave me a much better experience, although I did get two tiny weepers. There was no tugging in my danger zones (chin and under nose) with plenty of audible feedback. The Nacet blade must be made with strong steel as I had to use more force to crank the handle down onto the cap post. Overall, another satisfyingly close and smooth shave.

So, a fresh sharp blade made a huge difference along with minor technique adjustments. I have a Fatip Lo Storto Gentile inbound now :) to compare a lightweight vs. heavyweight slant. I like this crooked shaving world.

Last edited:
Had my first shave with the Fatip Closed Comb Slant, using my Nacet (2), and it was great. Same great smoothness and closeness but without the scraping audio, which is the difference between the metal and plastic materials. I think I prefer the closed comb for its gentile glide over my skin as there is no discernible loss of efficiency for a one pass shave. As for the weight factor, I don't know, I really don't have a preference as both shaved very similar, maybe the edge goes to the FCCS for ease of use since its weight provides adequate pressure.

The El Fantasma definitely wins for fun factor with its novelty. I am in love with slants now. My trusty old Gillette Tech may be a benchwarmer now.

Top Bottom