What's new

Skin pulling, why not?

Been wondering why skin pulling is not done as much with DE? Watched a few ASMR vids of barber shave and the amount of skin pulling they do for SR is impressive. And I was wondering why it's not recommended for DE? As I have seen a few times said if do skin pulling, just mild, not to do a lot of it. Wondering why?

Pull too tight, shave too close and cause ingrown hair! Ok, why is this case with DE, but not with SR?

Been wondering why skin pulling is not done as much with DE? Watched a few ASMR vids of barber shave and the amount of skin pulling they do for SR is impressive. And I was wondering why it's not recommended for DE? As I have seen a few times said if do skin pulling, just mild, not to do a lot of it. Wondering why?
DE guard bars and combs already perform that function. I only need to do a little skin pulling to get under the jawline, otherwise the razor takes care of it.

The razor doesn't do any skin pulling.
1707449486761.png

I'm not saying it's as big an effect as pulling with the hand, but guards pull the skin a bit by design.

Pull too tight, shave too close and cause ingrown hair! Ok, why is this case with DE, but not with SR?

If you mean stretching the skin in advance of the blade, you can do that with a DE razor if you want to. It can help you get a closer shave in some areas. The safety razor design makes it less necessary than with a straight razor, that's all.

View attachment 1793474

I'm not saying it's as big an effect as pulling with the hand, but guards pull the skin a bit by design.
That's Gillette's marketing that comes with the product.
As skin's fairly elastic, if it has any effect, it's likely only with quite small blade gaps.
I think safety bars work more like bumpers, though, while being less prone to getting damaged like teeth on brass open comb plates tend to. I think the latter might be one of two reasons Gillette came out with safety bar designs. The other is probably blade changes.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it in this thread...

I am just lazy, I confess, copy and paste works for me.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it in this thread...

I am just lazy, I confess, copy and paste works for me.

If that were the case, then the guard serves no useful purpose, and could be removed with a hacksaw with no ill effect. Do you really think so? Some people have done this to their safety razor to create a "devette". Can you shave with a devette? Yes. Is it the same as having a guard? No (unless you shave with the razor held at an angle such that the guard never, ever touches the face at all).

Maybe some others will come along and have some insight.
The guard is supposed to slip across the skin and not to create friction and stretch it. Polished (or even brushed) metal + lather creates a very slippery contact between the two. So, in my opinion, there is no skin stretching from the guard.

Last edited:
If you mean stretching the skin in advance of the blade, you can do that with a DE razor if you want to. It can help you get a closer shave in some areas. The safety razor design makes it less necessary than with a straight razor, that's all.

+2! I use skin stretching and ‘bull-frogging’ (filling my cheeks with air) to improve my shaves!

Techniques that are trying to see if they work for you also IMHO. :a21:

I started out the SR 50 years ago. Pulling the skin is just mapped into the process. Creates a larger flat surface and also lifts the stubble up. It usually results in a closer more consistent shave. But really what ever works best for you. SR can possible skip on the skin if you do not pull the skin, skips can usually result in a cut.
BFX
Your Shave, Skin and Face...your choice.....
Shave Smart and Have fun

That is what I was wondering about, why is it less necessary? Does the safety bar really stretch that much?

Top Bottom