What's new

Single blade cartridge razors, my experience, and your advice...

I personally would recommend an injector, vintage can be found cheap. Found a new injector of unknown quality at ebarbershop.com if used is a hangup, but an old Schick would very likely be much better.

Kiss My Face shave cream is brushless, cheap, and works great!!!

Well, been about a month, and I gotta say the recommendations on here were awesome. Bump Fighter is a good, interestingly designed razor, and Kiss My Face provides the closest shave I've ever had. The only problem now is, my face feels like the first layer of skin has been removed, and putting an alcohol-based aftershave afterward evokes images from Home Alone :). So, now that you have me open and receptive- what should I get to replace my generic store-bought aftershave?

Thanks!!

Use an after shave balm with no alcohol. There are many brands, and I use a few. They are very soothing to the skin. I like T&H Grafton and Hommage out of five that I have tried. A little goes a long way! Nivea Sensitive has good reviews. I picked up a bottle, but haven't tried it.

When you get a chance, do try a DE. The shave and the feedback from the razor is amazing!

Another option would be to continue to use the Bic Sensitive disposable, but do more than one pass. No single bladed system is going to shave you perfectly cleanly with one pass. I find the orange Bic to be pretty much as good as a DE.

As to burn with aftershave, I would suggest that it implies you're still using too much pressure when you shave. If you are using the Bump Fighter handle, you are using a fixed-angle cartridge with two blades. Because the angle is fixed, you can use a very light touch (when the cartridge is designed to pivot, it takes a certain amount of pressure to keep it flat against your face).

Use the lightest possible touch and do at least two passes. You should very little burn with your aftershave when you've done it correctly. :thumbup1:

Yeah, I'm using the orange bics. It definitely takes a few passes to get super close. Still looking for AS recommendations here- don't like Nivea products too much. Thanks all!

What would you recommend I do?
First, map the direction of the growth of your beard. You will probably find it's growing in different directions on various parts of your face. Once you've done that, shave WITH the grain. When you start getting tugging and pulling, you're going in the wrong direction.

Second, wash your face before you shave. Use a facial soap or cleanser, then rinse thoroughly. Get your whole face, pay attention to your neck as well. Soak a washcloth in warm water, hold it to your face and neck for at least 30 seconds. These steps will hydrate your beard making it easier to cut.

A pivoting head razor needs a little more pressure than a fixed head razor to get the proper angle. Don't go over the same spot multiple times without relathering. Two WTG passes should result in a close, comfortable shave, even with multi-blade cartridge razors. Shave oil may help if you have extremely sensitive skin.

After you've shaved, rinse your face thoroughly with warm water, then cold. Then pat dry and apply your aftershave balm. If an aftershave with alcohol burns like the fires of hell, you're being to aggressive somewhere in the process. Do not shave against the grain, and do not overshave. A close comfortable shave is better than an uncomfortable BBS shave.

Don't try to scrub your face off when you're washing or rinsing. Be gentle and use good quality, soft washcloths.

If you're using cheap generic Sensor cartridges, stop it. Get real Gillette cartridges. Shop around for the best price (do you have a Family Dollar store nearby?)

Top Bottom