What's new

Simpsons Super or a different brush on the $150-$200 range?

I don't find it the Manchurian like the 2-band Shavemacs or any of the 3 band Shavemacs.

Calling @Multum in parvo how would you compare the Simpsons Manchurian to the Shavemac D01 2 bands?
My Duke D3 Manchurian started out with a bit of scritch but that was gone after 10-15 shaves. No issues with my Shavemacs. All in all I believe the D01-2Band grade has a bit more backbone than Simpsons Manchurian but my sample size is limited.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My Duke D3 Manchurian started out with a bit of scritch but that was gone after 10-15 shaves. No issues with my Shavemacs. All in all I believe the D01-2Band grade has a bit more backbone than Simpsons Manchurian but my sample size is limited.
This is my experience as well, but my two Manchurian had no scritch, and true, the D01 two-band has more backbone than the Manchurian. From the Simpson grades, my first choice is the Manchurian. But, nothing beats the vintage two-band super they offered in the past.

My favorite Simpsons from years back was a Tulip 3 Super 2 band. Fantastic brush. Don't have it anymore.

No experience with recent Simpsons natural brushes from the last 10 years or so. Lots of mixed comments on those, up to you if you want to give one a shot.

I will say I liked the Simpsons T3 synthetic I got recently, but haven't had it long enough to evaluate yet.

I mainly use synthetic brushes now. Have an MTO Shavemac synth on order.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My favorite Simpsons from years back was a Tulip 3 Super 2 band. Fantastic brush. Don't have it anymore.

No experience with recent Simpsons natural brushes from the last 10 years or so. Lots of mixed comments on those, up to you if you want to give one a shot.

I will say I liked the Simpsons T3 synthetic I got recently, but haven't had it long enough to evaluate yet.

I mainly use synthetic brushes now. Have an MTO Shavemac synth on order.
Agree on the old two-band super, I also had a T3 and a PJ3 in this hair, but sold them and kept only the Polo 8.

What does pricy brush do differently beside make bigger tears when you loose?
Pretty much all shaving brushes work very well for shaving. I’d say if you were going to buy only one shaving brush the most important thing is to buy one with a handle you like. The knot will work fine, whatever it is, and you will get used to it.

Some shaving brushes feel better for your preferences than others, but that doesn’t necessarily correspond to price - it’s more to do with things like the type of hair / fibre, softness of the hair tips, knot size, backbone, etc., and we all like different things. Maybe the type of knot you like best is also the cheapest type, which is good fortune.

Brush prices tend to be driven by things like handle quality, amount of skilled labour required, supply and demand, scarcity of materials, etc., which may have little to do with your shaving preferences. I think it is unusual these days to find a shaving brush that isn’t priced fairly. They may not all be worth the money to you, but that doesn’t mean the price is unfair, it just means you don’t personally value the things that make that brush cost what it does.

I have found outstandingly good brushes for my preferences, including hair and handle quality, at all price levels. I think most shavers could, especially when they ask questions like the OP did here.

Last edited:
Lose vs loose. Common error around here.
But who loses a brush anyways? Drop maybe.

OK you drop, break, and CRY. But question is what does a 100-200 BRUSH do that a 20 Dollar & Under Not do. Are you paying for Name, and Status? Or is there a difference?

If I knew I would not be asking.

If I do know about Cigar Lighters is you own and use ST Dupnt, people will notice. If you use a match or elchepo torch, no one will not, care, or comment. Bot are heat Sources, and do same job.

OK you drop, break, and CRY. But question is what does a 100-200 BRUSH do that a 20 Dollar & Under Not do. Are you paying for Name, and Status? Or is there a difference?

If I knew I would not be asking.

If I do know about Cigar Lighters is you own and use ST Dupnt, people will notice. If you use a match or elchepo torch, no one will not, care, or comment. Bot are heat Sources, and do same job.
Better crafted knots and handles, better materials and arguably better performance. Some are happy with $10 brushes and some prefer $400 ones. Just as some cigar smokers prefer Cohiba Behikes and others are content with White Owls.

I have dropped one brush in 40 years and have not lost one or had one stolen.

If we are talking strictly badger brushes there's an ocean of difference between the cheapo Vulfix PB I had the nicer 2 band brushes I had. Today some of those brushes would be close to $300.

But the cold hard reality is most people don't have a budget for a $200 and up brush nowadays, so they might be better off in the boar or synth camp and forgetting about badger brushes altogether.

Once in awhile, there would be a nice brush from a company like Semogue or Vielong that could compete with the $200-300 UK or German companies, IMHO. Those were outliers though and not everyone liked them.

I let go of some really nice 2 band brushes from Thater, Simpsons, and Rooney years ago. All great brushes and worth the money at the time (to me), and would have been way more expensive today. The only badgers I kept were a limited Vielong 2-band with a beehive handle and a Semogue SOC 2-band. I kept a couple of Semogue boars as well.

Mainly use synthetic brushes now - they've come a long way IMHO. A custom synthetic Shavemac is less than 1/4 of the price of a really nice badger from them.

Last edited:
But question is what does a 100-200 BRUSH do that a 20 Dollar & Under Not do. Are you paying for Name, and Status? Or is there a difference?
I think it's a reasonable question. I don't have as many brushes as some of the guys here but I have a few in different price points. As far as handles, 3 of my favorites are in the $20 to $30 range. The more expensive ones I have mostly just look prettier, although raw materials on a couple were more costly and the workmanship is definitely better too.

In terms of hair...I believe a really good badger knot is worth every penny but maybe not for everyone... and not every expensive badger suits my tastes either. And as for synthetic, there are some great brushes to be had for very little money.

Pretty much all shaving brushes work very well for shaving. I’d say if you were going to buy only one shaving brush the most important thing is to buy one with a handle you like. The knot will work fine, whatever it is, and you will get used to it.

Some shaving brushes feel better for your preferences than others, but that doesn’t necessarily correspond to price - it’s more to do with things like the type of hair / fibre, softness of the hair tips, knot size, backbone, etc., and we all like different things. Maybe the type of knot you like best is also the cheapest type, which is good fortune.

Brush prices tend to be driven by things like handle quality, amount of skilled labour required, supply and demand, scarcity of materials, etc., which may have little to do with your shaving preferences. I think it is unusual these days to find a shaving brush that isn’t priced fairly. They may not all be worth the money to you, but that doesn’t mean the price is unfair, it just means you don’t personally value the things that make that brush cost what it does.

I have found outstandingly good brushes for my preferences, including hair and handle quality, at all price levels. I think most shavers could, especially when they ask questions like the OP did here.
There is a lot of truth to above statement. From the brushes I have, pretty much anything I am using becomes my "favorite" and I can be OK with it as the only brush.

Tanvir

Switched out the colonel for the Coronation Manchurian Chubby. It was more than I was expecting to spend but I figured this was a rare brush. I blame whoever suggested looking at the Black Friday sales.
Great pickups👍. Assuming you bought the CH2 (red white & blue) and not the CH3. That Manchurian CH2 is a wonderful brush and a fantastically dense knot, you will be rewarded when it losses up a little. Congrats! I just pulled the trigger on the CH2 Manchurian Tortoise shell this morning.

Great pickups👍. Assuming you bought the CH2 (red white & blue) and not the CH3. That Manchurian CH2 is a wonderful brush and a fantastically dense knot, you will be rewarded when it losses up a little. Congrats! I just pulled the trigger on the CH2 Manchurian Tortoise shell this morning
Thanks. That’s one one I switched to. I never thought I’d splurge on a brush like that but it was a good deal.

Top Bottom