What's new

Simpsons Super or a different brush on the $150-$200 range?

My experience after having purchased several Simpson Brushes, plus one more coming, is that they are a hit and miss. I would definitely recommend a Simpson Brush if you really want to try it (in fact as I said I have one more coming), if you can accept the idea of potentially being disappointed by the "industry standard".

By the way, I am not sure why I said seven, it was actually ten if I count the three synthetic.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Do you have a Simpsons brush? I have a Tulip 3 (only comes in Super) but there are many great handles sporting other hair.
I love some of my Best Badger Simpson brushes just as much -- Commodore, Duke, Persian Jar, etc.
Iconic brush maker that serious shavers need to try at least once.

Iconic brush maker that serious shavers need to try at least once.
IMG_6300.jpeg

Simpsons brushes are well worth trying IMO.

For what it is worth my current Simpsons stable:
Wee Scot (best)
Duke 2 (best)
Chubby 1 (best)
Classic 2 (best)
57 (best)
Tulip 2 (super)
Tulip 3 (super)

None of these will leave my den!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Simpsons Supers are good brushes. I would tend to agree with the earlier comment that the quality of the hair can be variable, and I would add that some of the prices are odd (like the Tulip T3 costing double the Tulip T2), but you can find a well-priced brush with a comfortable handle if you look across their range.

Right now I would recommend the Semogue 2023 limited edition Barbear Português brush from VintageScent.com. They have 6 left of the original 100. It is €130 and much better than any other brush you will find in the $150-200 range, in my opinion. But once those are gone I’d say Simpsons is a good choice. You could also consider a Zenith silvertip or an Omega 6619 - both under $100 - or a Shavemac 3-band made to order. These are all nice silvertip brushes.

One other left-field suggestion is Gentleman Barbier from France. They offer brushes with Plisson High Mountain White knots and these are my personal favourite silvertip knots. For a size 12 you should be able to get one for under $200, which is significantly less than it would cost from Plisson, in a Plisson handle. Note, though, that these are high-lofted, low density knots with very fine hair. They are very gentle and luxurious, but less backbone than the other options. It’s either your thing or it isn’t, but if it is (like me) there’s nothing like it.

I am using a Simpson G3 in Super right now, it's a great brush never shed once. I have a G2 in best trying to get rid of and a Rover in Manchurian on the way. There was a Eagle G3 in Manchurian for sale but it's gone from their site, wish I grabbed it.

I would look on the BST here as well if you don’t mind buying used. LOTS of great options in your price range come up. Simpson, Rudy Vey, Paladin, Elite, etc.

I am a big Simpson fan but also love a ShaveMac and Thater.

The most iconic Supers IMO are the Tulip 3, Chubby 2 and M7. The T3 and M7 should be in your price range. Fantastic brushes. 👍

I would look on the BST here as well if you don’t mind buying used. LOTS of great options in your price range come up. Simpson, Rudy Vey, Paladin, Elite, etc.

I am a big Simpson fan but also love a ShaveMac and Thater.

The most iconic Supers IMO are the Tulip 3, Chubby 2 and M7. The T3 and M7 should be in your price range. Fantastic brushes. 👍
I agree about Thäter but sadly they closed down earlier this year.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a couple of Thaters and I love them. I had a super about 10 years ago and felt like it was solid but not great. Then I heard there were variances and wondered if I got a bad batch. This has been helpful information. I was trying to stay away from custom because I was gonna ask for it as a gift. Though the French ones seem very interesting.

I have a bunch of simpsons (probably less than 10) and haven't had any issues. They're all I use (granted, used an omega boar today...) If you're curious, certainly try the brand. Just be mindful- they tend to multiply. Or you'll complain. Either way, getting new things is fun.

Those are some good sales. Would Manchurian be the best quality?
I think it is more a personal taste or YMMV scenario. I find Manchurian has more backbone and is a bit stiffer. I also find it creates lather easily and releases it just as easily. For me super is softer and doesn't have the same backbone as Manchurian but if you pick a dense Super brush the density helps with the backbone but it can hog lather.

I am on a soft and dense kick right now!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a couple of Thaters and I love them. I had a super about 10 years ago and felt like it was solid but not great. Then I heard there were variances and wondered if I got a bad batch. This has been helpful information. I was trying to stay away from custom because I was gonna ask for it as a gift. Though the French ones seem very interesting.
If you are interested in a Plisson from Plisson, I see a couple of size 12 High Mountain White brushes with 25% off on Proshave.com in Denmark. There’s an olivewood handle and a rosewood handle, both slightly over €200, discounted from €280. Note that because of the high loft, the 22mm size 12 Plisson knot is actually fairly large - comparable to other 26mm knots, I’d say.

Plisson also had a sitewide 30% off promotion on their website with the code LOYAL30. If that isn’t valid any more the site currently shows a 20% off Black Friday promotion with the code BF2023.

But, as I say, the Plisson HMW knots are very soft, with low backbone, which isn’t everyone’s preference but it is certainly mine.

Here’s a pic of my Gentleman Barbier brushes (I got the larger size 14 knot which is the same 22mm diameter but extremely high 59mm loft (vs 56mm loft for size 12). Even more softness and even less backbone. Handles are (L-R) curly birch, amaranth, and snakewood.

C56E1A45-B832-45BC-BCB6-E77D9ADA21E9.jpeg

If you are interested in a Plisson from Plisson, I see a couple of size 12 High Mountain White brushes with 25% off on Proshave.com in Denmark. There’s an olivewood handle and a rosewood handle, both slightly over €200, discounted from €280. Note that because of the high loft, the 22mm size 12 Plisson knot is actually fairly large - comparable to other 26mm knots, I’d say.

Plisson also had a sitewide 30% off promotion on their website with the code LOYAL30. If that isn’t valid any more the site currently shows a 20% off Black Friday promotion with the code BF2023.

But, as I say, the Plisson HMW knots are very soft, with low backbone, which isn’t everyone’s preference but it is certainly mine.

Here’s a pic of my Gentleman Barbier brushes (I got the larger size 14 knot which is the same 22mm diameter but extremely high 59mm loft (vs 56mm loft for size 12). Even more softness and even less backbone. Handles are (L-R) curly birch, amaranth, and snakewood.

View attachment 1751771
Those are nice looking brushes!

Top Bottom