What's new

Simpson's Duke 2 Best vs Rooney 3/1 Super

I'm looking at either one of these two as a solid all-arounder kind of brush. I'd like something that has good backbone and decent scrub. Since these around the same the price range and size, does anyone have a grasp on how they compare performance wise? I'm also open to suggestions for other, similar brushes.

Mostly a cream user, by the way, but I've done some limited branching into soaps and probably will continue to do so.

I prefer the Duke 2 in Best. Dense with a good amount of scrub.
If you wanted to beat it, I'd say you'd have to go to a Rooney 1/1 in Super (shorter loft than the 3/1).
However, I'd still recommend the Duke :biggrin:
In all seriousness, I think it is the best brush money can buy for less than $100

Ah hell, Simpon Duke 2 in Best or Rooney 3/1 in Super ... they are both winners. Personally, I'd get the Duke, but that is just me. As Hunter pointed out the Duke will have more scrub, but the Rooney will have more backbone. Performance between these two brushes is really about personal preference.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I would say that the Duke 3 and the Rooney 3/1 are closer in size. I personally prefer the Duke. A softer, less scritchy feel than the Rooney but with good backbone for soap use.

The Duke 3 in Best could very well be my favorite brush. That is until the Eagle G3 in Best arrives. :wink:

Duke or Rooney 3/1, you can't go wrong with either brush.

Have you given any thought to the Fifty Series from Simpson? I think it's one of the best kept secrets around B&B.

Last edited:
Have you given any thought to the Fifty Series from Simpson? I think it's one of the best kept secrets around B&B.

Can't say I have, though I have glanced at the Eagle with a curious eye. The two choices in front of me are kind of based on a combo of B&B recommendations and availability at vendors I'm currently using.

OK, here's another facet of the question. I have a CH1 2-band on order and this other brush is kind of meant to complement it, since my last candidate for an everyday brush (1/2 Super) didn't pan out. Would the Duke be too similar in performance/feel to the Chubby?

....my last candidate for an everyday brush (1/2 Super) didn't pan out.

why didn't the 1/2 work out?

For what it's worth - I have a rooney 3/1 and a simpson 57 and they are both excellent, but I find that I use the Rooney more than the 57.

why didn't the 1/2 work out?

For what it's worth - I have a rooney 3/1 and a simpson 57 and they are both excellent, but I find that I use the Rooney more than the 57.

That particular one was a shedder, that was the biggest issue. But I thought it was a lather hog and maybe a little light on the backbone in general.

That particular one was a shedder, that was the biggest issue. But I thought it was a lather hog and maybe a little light on the backbone in general.

If you thought the #2/1 was a lather log then don't buy another Rooney. I have tried two Rooneys and tried really hard to like them, but in the end they hogged lather more than I liked. I prefer a brush with better lather "flow through" - just a personal preference.

The Simpon best hair will have a different feel and performance from the 2-band hair, so it would probably be a good choice for you.

Last edited:
If you thought the #2/1 was a lather log then don't buy another Rooney. I have tried two Rooneys and tried really hard to like them, but in the end they hogged lather more than I liked. I prefer a brush with better lather "flow through" - just a personal preference.

The Simpon best hair will have a different feel and performance from the 2-band hair, so it would probably be a good choice for you.

Thanks, that's actually really helpful info. Now I'm just waffling between the Duke 2 and the Duke 3. Wierdly enough the Superior Shave site seems to have different dimensions listed than other places.

OK, here's another facet of the question. I have a CH1 2-band on order and this other brush is kind of meant to complement it, since my last candidate for an everyday brush (1/2 Super) didn't pan out. Would the Duke be too similar in performance/feel to the Chubby?
Nope, Simpsons Best and Simpsons Two-band complement each other nicely. Best tends to be more fan shaped, and is a bit more scritchy. I've got a CH2 and a Duke 2 and love them both.

Now I'm just waffling between the Duke 2 and the Duke 3.
Go for the Duke 2.
I actually bought a Duke 3 and sold it within a week of receiving it. I found the handle to be not that comfortable, and the loft to be too long.
The Duke 2, for me, has the perfect handle and loft height.

Top Bottom