What's new

Simpson variety

I am currently on a Simpson brush kick and spending way too much money. Currently selling one and trying out a new one soon.

I am using a Eagle G3 in Super, good brush so far no complaints but they had a Rover in Manchurian on sale for a really good discount on the Simpson site, couldn't pass it up.

What am I in for regarding the difference between Super and Manchurian?

I like some backbone as I used boar for years. I currently use Arko smashed into a mug and facelather after swirling the brush on the top for a minute or so.

Also can anyone chime in with the handle differences between a G3 and a Rover? It doesn't seem the Rover comes in "sizes." The G3 feels very comfy in hand, but the Rover looks like it has a functional lip under the knot to prevent lather dripping down.

The Manchurian is quite different from the Super in my experience. I do find it stiffer with more backbone and it has a little more face feel than best for me. I have it in an M7 and it has no problem with hard soaps and lather generation and flow through is great!

I think smaller knots like the MC are a great choice in Manchurian to give them extra backbone. The smallest Manchurian I have is a D3 and I am so glad I got it in Manchurian. Good job pulling the trigger, it was catching my eye last week at that Black Friday price!

I actually use Badger exclusively now. Boar is fine but takes little long to dry compared to Badger in between shaves.
I am a badger guy as well and rarely use boar. I have many boar brushes, but I really just use them in December. The Semogue Mistura badger/boar knot is killer though.

Let me tell you about Simpsons' best held secret.
Two Band Silvertip Badger....
42744FB3-3256-4140-A183-B1CE50B1C70A.jpeg

I like mine and believe it has the signature Hybrid look. What do you think, too bulby?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Let me tell you about Simpsons' best held secret.
Two Band Silvertip Badger....
Maybe because like the knots are not made by them. One guy here had a knot falling out of the Chubby 2 and it looked exactly like one of the Chinese knots. That is OK, but it should be somehow mentioned. The guy who this happened to contacted them and never got an answer. BTW, I do like mine actually quite good, it is a nice rounded bulb - but the price should be lower then.

Maybe because like the knots are not made by them. One guy here had a knot falling out of the Chubby 2 and it looked exactly like one of the Chinese knots. That is OK, but it should be somehow mentioned. The guy who this happened to contacted them and never got an answer. BTW, I do like mine actually quite good, it is a nice rounded bulb - but the price should be lower then.
I found and read the whole thread about the knot. There was no definitive response from Simpsons. Origin of crafts people is one of the selling point of Simpsons brushes. A transparency is business will keep the customer base loyal to the product. Question is if there is one knot that is found to be of Chinese or appears to be Chinese origin, how will anyone know what else is not crafted at Simpsons UK facility?

May I ask for a link to that thread?
I cannot find it.

It’s in there.

Richard @EclipseRedRing asked Mark about the 2Band Silvertip in specific but never got a reply.

Maybe...
My comment, however, referred to the shaving qualities of said hair, not to its origin.
Origin is, of course, a valid discussion, but one that would seem to belong in a thread titled "Is Simpsons still making their own knots, and if not, what does it mean to the consumer?" rather than in this one.
My response here was aimed at a person saying he enjoys the products and wants to expand his horizons. He did not ask for me to vouch for the person tying the knot or the location/nationality of said person, which I would not do - as I have not actually seen the knot being tied, be it on the Isle of Man or in Mainland China.
I'll happily express my humble, and totally unimportant, opinions on that question should you start such a thread.
As for pricing, everything across the whole market could be priced lower. But it isn't....

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Maybe...
My comment, however, referred to the shaving qualities of said hair, not to its origin.
Origin is, of course, a valid discussion, but one that would seem to belong in a thread titled "Is Simpsons still making their own knots, and if not, what does it mean to the consumer?" rather than in this one.
My response here was aimed at a person saying he enjoys the products and wants to expand his horizons. He did not ask for me to vouch for the person tying the knot or the location/nationality of said person, which I would not do - as I have not actually seen the knot being tied, be it on the Isle of Man or in Mainland China.
I'll happily express my humble, and totally unimportant, opinions on that question should you start such a thread.
As for pricing, everything across the whole market could be priced lower. But it isn't....
To be honest, I really like the CH2 with the silvertip. What I do not like is the price point if is indeed a Chinese made knot. I make brushes for some 15 years. I have bought knots from the Chinese myself, but always let the customers know where they are sourced from. The Chinese screwed me once over and send crap that was not usable at all. End of it for me. The decision I made was to use only knots made by Shavemac for badgers and Muehle for synthetic. A good Chinese sourced knot is going for something like $30-40 these days, a comparable Shavemac costs me at least double this.....Lately I have seen knots sold by, I think Oumo, for hundreds of $$$, I think up to over $600 - would not buy one as I do not know what I am getting.
The Chubby I bought was something like $240 or so, if indeed the knot is of Chinese origin, then they make a huge profit. I sell a similar sized brush with a hand made Shavemac knot for less.

To be honest, I really like the CH2 with the silvertip. What I do not like is the price point if is indeed a Chinese made knot. I make brushes for some 15 years. I have bought knots from the Chinese myself, but always let the customers know where they are sourced from. The Chinese screwed me once over and send crap that was not usable at all. End of it for me. The decision I made was to use only knots made by Shavemac for badgers and Muehle for synthetic. A good Chinese sourced knot is going for something like $30-40 these days, a comparable Shavemac costs me at least double this.....Lately I have seen knots sold by, I think Oumo, for hundreds of $$$, I think up to over $600 - would not buy one as I do not know what I am getting.
The Chubby I bought was something like $240 or so, if indeed the knot is of Chinese origin, then they make a huge profit. I sell a similar sized brush with a hand made Shavemac knot for less.

Rudy, I was recommending hair, not discussing price points.

I, for one, have been disappointed time and time again by Shavemac knots. This isn't personal, I just find their D-01 hair scritchy and rough, barely above "pure" in feel. Their 2B hair is decent, but I'd take the Simpson Two Band Silvertip over the 2B any day of the week, and happily pay a premium for it.

In the end, both badger hair and synthetic fiber come from China, and to the best of my knowledge, knots are tied by hand everywhere. Making a handtied knot in the UK/US/Germany isn't significantly more expensive than $40, as bulk badger hair would be cheaper to source, hence, western makers make "a huge profit" too.

So can the simpson products be cheaper? YES! But so can DG, M&F, Wald, Paladin, Varlet, Black Eagle and Milton (to name a few).

I spend money on a brush without trying to calculate the maker's profit, rather looking at my perceived enjoyment from the product. If I enjoy selecting my brush, spending a few seconds admiring the pour/burl and the workmanship, then start face lathering and find myself going "ahhhh..." as the brush is working on my cheek, I'm happy to pay for the brush, and fund the producer's well earned profit.

Rudy, I was recommending hair, not discussing price points.

I, for one, have been disappointed time and time again by Shavemac knots. This isn't personal, I just find their D-01 hair scritchy and rough, barely above "pure" in feel. Their 2B hair is decent, but I'd take the Simpson Two Band Silvertip over the 2B any day of the week, and happily pay a premium for it.

In the end, both badger hair and synthetic fiber come from China, and to the best of my knowledge, knots are tied by hand everywhere. Making a handtied knot in the UK/US/Germany isn't significantly more expensive than $40, as bulk badger hair would be cheaper to source, hence, western makers make "a huge profit" too.

So can the simpson products be cheaper? YES! But so can DG, M&F, Wald, Paladin, Varlet, Black Eagle and Milton (to name a few).

I spend money on a brush without trying to calculate the maker's profit, rather looking at my perceived enjoyment from the product. If I enjoy selecting my brush, spending a few seconds admiring the pour/burl and the workmanship, then start face lathering and find myself going "ahhhh..." as the brush is working on my cheek, I'm happy to pay for the brush, and fund the producer's well earned profit.

I will take a slightly different slant here. Source of raw material and place of manufacture are two different things. Importing lithium from Afghanistan and processing it to make a battery and car in USA is different than importing a finished car from Afghanistan and putting a made in USA sticker on the car just because it was painted in USA. Maybe car imported from Afghanistan is actually a better product than car manufactured in USA but that is not the point and the company is not forthcoming in doing so.

However you are correct. A different thread is perhaps in order to discuss this instead of this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom