What's new

Simpson Throwdown!

:blink::blink: whispers watches....Vintage Omegas :tongue_sm:tongue_sm

I keep seeing some vintage Omega boars on ebay as well... Vintage Omega watches and vintage Omega boars, what more could you ask for? :biggrin1:

Omega watches, Brian?????

OH, NO!!!!

...just bought these off dbay -

proxy.php

Naw it would be a 63 split window or a 66 Tiger.... had one of those tooooooo many years ago....what a putz I was selling that

Today I was to use the Eagle for comparison...but this Tulip thing is still bothering me sooooooooooo... the comparison shave is today....

Setup....
105 yr old Sheffield steel
Gent's Best SS
Thayers
Clubman
Eagle/Tulip T2

two cereal bowls, a ton and a half of Gent's best SS ( did I say before that these 2 brushes are puck destroyers?)... lather is oodles and oodles in both bowls....I have enough to shave and shave the 4 cats in the house..... here kitty kitty kitty.......

Massaged the Eagle on the right side and the Tulip on the left. As Bob pointed out earlier, and I didn't notice when I used it before, the tulip uses all the bristles while the eagle is so damn dense that the tips and the 1st quarter of the brush is what is the generator.

At the end of the shave I have a clear cut winner..... Drum roll please.....

The Eagle rules, with the tulip a 1/4 step behind...(the SWMBO said I should have listened to her to start with)...and would I please clean up the mess I have in the bathroom.

So there we have it so far...
1. Eagle
2. Tulip
3. "56"
4. Case

but also let me point out that any of these brushes are just about the closest to brush bliss I have found.... It's just that the eagle is kicking *ss and taking names on the soap challenge... but I can see the Soap around this house is really going to be going down in numbers

On to the last brush in the soap contest tomorrow , The Milkchurn" and then onto creams........

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Your rankings appear to be line with my assessment of these brushes with the exception of the Case which I don't own.

I have my doubts that the Eagle will have such a strong showing with creams. The Eagle was made to be a soap destroyer.

I think the 56 and the Milk Churn are going head to head for best cream brush.

My opinion is very similar, although I would put the 57 ahead of the Tulip (again, Eagle sized knot, but not as dense). I used the Tulip this morning with some TOBS cream, and it was excellent.

Okay setup today:
1912 Gem with Cooncatbob handle
Gent's best SS "Chilled" ( the last 4 brushes destroyed the Signature line Puck and I am too lazy to get another one out)
Thayers
Clubman
and... the Milkchurn

This brush lives up to its name..... tons of creamy lather... although not a soap destroyer. The backbone is a bit floppish and really didn't bother me as I bowl lather. No scrubbing on the face as it flattens out pretty well..but is incredibly soft...Did I say how much I love this handle??? Large, comfortable,I will choose this as my favorite handle for my hands.

The real question is how it it do ?? For me... not really a soap brush as compared to the others... but of course YMMV.

Again as with the others... a formidable brush and could easily be the only brush for some people, but for me the Eagle rules supreme so far.

Now the SWMBO chimes in and absolutely loves this brush... the knot , the large handle, I can see this disappearing at times to her side of the shave den. She said it doesn't replace the eagle on the puck, but she used KMF today and said it rules supreme with the KMF.....

I sure am now looking forward to the creams to see how all do....

We will move the schedule up tomorrow... it's the "56" with either Tom's Mint or Bigelow...let the cream wars begin...

I really like the Milk Churn as well. It has great face feel. I agree that soaps are probably not its best application, but it does a serviceable job. The handle is to die for, especially if one has average sized to large hands. I wonder how the small Milk Churn (the MC, as opposed to this MC2) feels in hand?

Okay the set up
Schick Injector "G" - EMS Blade
Bigelow SC
Thayers
PVIBR
and of course the "56"

A almond sized dollop of Bigelow in the bowl. a drop or two or three of water and we are off to the races. I rarely use creams, but the lather exploded after 5 total drops of water.

WOW.. oodles and oodles of later....scrubbed it in. This brush is nice and scrubby on the face. On the puck this is a terrorist, but on the cream it's a real generator. This brush will definitely set the benchmark for this week of creams

As I have said before these Simpson brushes by themselves are brushes a person could own as a single brush and be happy the rest of thier lives with the one brush.

The "56" just proved this... fantastic on the puck, and also on the cream , it's going to be hard to surpass this....

On to the Tulip tomorrow.......

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Are you sure you have enough creams? :wink:

Seriously though, I would put the "56" in a class with the Duke 3 as one of the better all-around brushes. For instance, my Emperor 3 is a much better cream brush than soap brush. The same would be true for my Polo 8 Best (the density of this brush appears to be lacking somewhat.)

The Tulip 2 and the Astor are also good with both creams and soaps.

The Eagle is just a soap chainsaw and its characteristics (very dense and shorter loft) doesn't particularly lend itself to being a great brush for creams.

Now the Harvard on the other hand... :rolleyes:

. . . . these Simpson brushes by themselves are brushes a person could own as a single brush and be happy the rest of thier lives with the one brush.

Okay, that's just crazy talk. One brush? Oh, the horror!

Now the Harvard on the other hand... :rolleyes:

(Me want's)... shut up.... (Me want's NOW)...oh crap it's that little voice again...the last time it reared it's ugly head was during the G3 buy.... and we all know how that turned out.....God you guys are a terrible bunch of enablers

Okay the set up
Gem Micromatic
Bigelow SC
Thayers
Gent best Signature AS
and the Tulip

A close runner up on soaps... lets see it strut it's stuff on creams

Again a almond sized dollop of Bigelow in the bowl. 5 drops of water. Lather again exploded.

Again gobs of rich yummy goodness....scrubbed it in. This brush is not as scrubby on the face. On the puck a soap destroyer.. even more so then the "56", and the same on cream. Move over "56" this is now leading the pack, but only because of the handle.. it fits the hand so well. Both brushes handle the cream as well as the puck. The tulip edges out with the super badger is well, like velvet..

I state again:

As I have said before these Simpson brushes by themselves are brushes a person could own as a single brush and be happy the rest of thier lives with the one brush.

The "56" and the Tulip are great on both and if you are looking for a brush to handle both extremely well look no further....

On to the Milk Churn tomorrow and I have high hopes for this one...but it will really have to work to surpass these 2.......

The set up
105 yr ould Sheffield Steel
Bigelow SC
Thayers
Clubman
and of course the "Milksop" Milkchurn.

After today's shave it is being renamed as The MAGNIFICENT MILKCHURN.

Same as always, almond sized squirt of cream...5-6 drops of water and churn it up..... My OH MY...Instant yogurt in the bowl... Creamy gobs of goodness.

This Churn is exactly what it is called... a creamy lather generator. What was so so on the puck...turned into the best cream brush so far. The handle is perfect for my large mitts and the Best badger is a bit floppy on the face but feels so good.....flattens out but a but scrubby at the same time....the SWMBO was right... this one is a WINNER with cream.

This brush just beat out the "56", the Tulip, and the Eagle and Case are going to have a uphill battle.

Unfortunately I use creams rarely.... but when I do this so far is the brush I will grab, If I can pry it out of my Wife's hands

Tomorrow the Eagle on cream....we will see

Top Bottom