What's new

Simpson Classic

The Classics (I have a 1) are as good as a Simpsons gets.

Man, I'm not sure what is wrong with me. I have some type of disorder that makes me buy too many brushes. Positive reviews push me over the edge.

Classic Ordered. Thanks----you dirty enabler you.

Last edited:
Classic Ordered. Thanks----you dirty enabler you.

Working on EARNING that "Enabler" badge :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Classic 1 and 2 are, in my opinion, wonderful brushes that certainly deserve more attention. I love my Classic 2 and consider it as good as its more popular brothers (Dukes and Chubbies).

I'm glad I bought it, but it may well become my travel brush only. The brush bloomed out nicely and has a pleasant scritch. It made one hell of a nice lather with Mama Bears soap first try,

My only complaint is the handle. It just seems a bit small to fit my hand and I don't feel I have a good grip working with it. The little edge leaves your fingers just barely holding the handle. My 55, Berkeley and Special all have a bit more room for fingers on the holding edge. (Love all those brushes)

I'd say at this point this is my least favorite of the Simpson Brushes. The way a brush feels in my hand is very important ! The pictures below show the shallow holding area compared to the other small brushes.

proxy.php

Last edited:
55, Berkeley and Special their handles height are 45mm and 50mm
Classic 1 handle height 38.5mm is too short to me.
the same reason stopping me from getting brushes like Chubby 1, Duke 1, Duke 2 due to their short handles.
i prefer handle height 45mm~50mm for more comfortable hold.

Who said that you have to hold it below that ledge?

You don't, but it just doesn't feel as good to me. As a test, I held the 55 and it fit better.

I also like a little "whipping" action with my brush as the lather gets thick. Its harder to do with the Classic.

My Rover is another brush on the bottom of my list due to it's handle.

I wear size XL gloves but find the Classic 1 to be no problem to snag. I choke up on mine so my fingertips are close to the knot.

The knot on the Classic is what I really love about it. It is in another league than what you find in the 46, Case or Specials.

Just another case of YMMV.

I admit to being intrigued by the Classic, but I do think the 1 looks like it would be a bit small for me. I don't have particularly large hands, but I generally like to be able to generate whip, like yohimbe2. The smallest handle I have ever really enjoyed is a BK4, but the shape on that one allows for easy grip near the base of the handle, making some whipping action easy.

Anyway, the Classic 2 looks like it would be more my style, and these brushes certainly seem to have a higher grade of hair than some of the other less expensive Simpson models. Thanks for this thread...more fuel for my ADs...

Working on EARNING that "Enabler" badge :thumbup1:

proxy.php
I'm catching up.

Started with an EJ Best, two shaves before I had my Simpson 57 in hand.
2 weeks later I added a Simpson Commodore to the rack.

I just ordered a Rover LE last night.

I don't "get" the 57. It's reasonably priced, an excellent brush, has a cool handle, but nobody talks about it.

BTW: Ordering from West Coast, don't forget the BANDB discount code for 10% off. The $110 Rover was $107 shipped.

I'm catching up.

Started with an EJ Best, two shaves before I had my Simpson 57 in hand.
2 weeks later I added a Simpson Commodore to the rack.

I just ordered a Rover LE last night.

I don't "get" the 57. It's reasonably priced, an excellent brush, has a cool handle, but nobody talks about it.

BTW: Ordering from West Coast, don't forget the BANDB discount code for 10% off. The $110 Rover was $107 shipped.

The "55" is another few talk about. It is one of my favorites and does its own special thing like no other brush.

The Classic is growing on me. I gave it another test drive and like it very much. (as someone else said, you just need to hold it differently.)

Top Bottom