My father-in-laws Colt Trooper MK III

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 161
View attachment 559520
Reproduction Colt Walker,
44 cal, 65 grain black powder charge.

Ah, man, I used to have one of these. What a beast! I also had a .68-caliber 3-band Enfield and the Walker took just as much of a powder charge as it did. I really wish I hadn't gotten rid of the Walker. I might have to get another one. I'm quite sure mine was an Uberti: don't know if anybody else makes them.

If nothing else, it's fun to pull out when somebody's showing you their new handgun and say, "You call that a handgun? Now THIS is a handgun" and watch their arm drop when you stick it in their hand and let go. They almost fall into the category of a "hand rifle."

Your photo is nice, joamo, but no photo can do these things justice. People have no idea how massive they are until they hold one.

Ah, man, I used to have one of these. What a beast! I also had a .68-caliber 3-band Enfield and the Walker took just as much of a powder charge as it did. I really wish I hadn't gotten rid of the Walker. I might have to get another one. I'm quite sure mine was an Uberti: don't know if anybody else makes them.

If nothing else, it's fun to pull out when somebody's showing you their new handgun and say, "You call that a handgun? Now THIS is a handgun" and watch their arm drop when you stick it in their hand and let go. They almost fall into the category of a "hand rifle."

Your photo is nice, joamo, but no photo can do these things justice. People have no idea how massive they are until they hold one.
It is definitely a hand cannon. Believe it or not, I used to quick draw this beast faster than many of my friends could draw a short barrel Navy revolver. We used caps only and never faced each other. Wearing it on the hip, the grip would almost be in my armpit before clearing leather.

ScIrish: Technically its a No5 New Army Express. Mfg 1878, in everything from 450ca. to 45 LC. In direct competition w/ Colts New Army Model. A much better gun by the way!! I have one chambered in 450 and nickled, no pix tho, sorry!

Attachments

• $Screenshot_2014-12-05-10-23-33-1.jpg
    $Screenshot_2014-12-05-10-23-33-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I was recently lucky enough to acquire this S&W Model 28 “Highway Patrolman” with a 6 inch barrel. The gun shipped around 1968.

The grips are a pair that I found when cleaning my Father-in-Law’s garage after he passed. They are from the 30’s but I enjoy the feel and sentimentality of them. The gun had aftermarket target grips when it came to me.

The revolver appeared to perhaps never been fired. It had a faint wear line on the cylinder, but the front of the cylinder and forcing come we’re not marked up at all. It also came in the original box, numbered to the gun.

However, I want to shoot it. So, I took it out today and sighted in with hand loaded wad cutters, and saw that it shoots very well.

DC26C27B-47D6-4E3B-8273-45CADDBD5C9A.jpeg

0EBC0D09-6C81-4CC0-A3D4-EC9877ADD353.jpeg

Those 1930s large medallion N-Frame service stocks you have on your Model 28 are worth a huge pile of money all by themselves. As in quite a few hundred dollars in that condition.

Thanks noelekal, it seems that all of the classic N-Frame stocks are fetching a pretty penny. I will keep my eye out for a 1930’s revolver to put these on. ;)

My first time in this part of the forums. So I will play along. I call this my 5 shot 6 shooter(in reference to the movie "The Villain" and the quote "this is a 7 shot 6 shooter").

It is a Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull. For those that may not know it needs a more beefier cylinder to contain the pressures of the cartridge it only holds 5 rounds. This gun can also shoot 45LC rounds which cost about half the price as the Casull to shoot. To keep costs down I do hand load for both cartridges in the same LC dies.

full

You're Welcome. I haven't done any shooting in a couple years due to laziness but when spring thaw rolls around I am getting back out, especially with this one. Of the handguns I own it is actually funnest one to shoot. You definitely know you pulled the trigger as its bark is as big as its bite.

Thanks noelekal, it seems that all of the classic N-Frame stocks are fetching a pretty penny. I will keep my eye out for a 1930’s revolver to put these on. ;)

The pre-war N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers are sho' 'nuff shooters all. Those stocks would go great on a pre-war: Heavy Duty .38 Special, Outdoorsman .38 Special, 2nd Model .44 Special, 3rd Model .44 Special (Model of 1926), or Registered Magnum (.357 Magnum).

On the first page at post No. 16 I posted photos of a .44 Special Model of 1926 that roosts in the safe here. It has those same stocks.

To continue the thread's topic, here's a fairly shabby but honest 1905 vintage Colt Single Action Army chambered for .38 WCF (.38-40) with 4 3/4-inch barrel. Shoots a treat! Of a few vintage holsters kept here for the Colt SAA this one made by Brill is the favorite.

480.jpg

Ruger Super Redhawk 480 Ruger. An elk and a couple deer found themselves in the freezer because of it.
super.jpg

Super Blackhawk 10.5" 44 Mag. Great shooter, no hunting with it yet.
29.jpg

Model 29 44 Mag, early 60s. Dad got it new, passed to me for a birthday a couple years ago. As a teen I bagged a couple deer with it. Gotta take it out again.
41.jpg

Blackhawk, 4 5/8", 41 Mag. My constant woods companion and rifle hunting backup.

gp100.jpg

GP100. 6", 357. A great shooter.
60.jpg

Model 60, my preferred EDC. Point n click simplicity.
awa.jpg

American Western Arms SAA clone, 45 Colt. Have two for Cowboy Action shooting.

I have a few other wheel guns, but these are my favorites, see the most usage.

Top Bottom