What's new

"Show-Me Shavers" - Missouri Shaving Enthusiasts

Need your help guys and gals. I'd like to start planning a small get together for February or March. Someplace in/around KC where we can hang out for a few hours, chew the fat, show off some of our favorite things and have a little swap meet.

My problem is, I live an hour outside of KC and am not very familiar with what's in the city for what I'm looking for. So, for those in the area, toss out some suggestions.

This sounds awesome. I would love to be involved. I love up north. There are places like Side Pockets which there might be one in Lees Summit too. Or a bar and grill place could be good too.

Need your help guys and gals. I'd like to start planning a small get together for February or March. Someplace in/around KC where we can hang out for a few hours, chew the fat, show off some of our favorite things and have a little swap meet.

My problem is, I live an hour outside of KC and am not very familiar with what's in the city for what I'm looking for. So, for those in the area, toss out some suggestions.

Count me in if I am not traveling for work. I live in the OP area of Kansas, south of KC MO.

First Name?
John
Resident or Alumni?
?? Not sure what this means..
City (Residing in or from)?
Leawood, KS - other side of the border. Originally from Stamford, CT
Region (from above map)?
Other side...in Kansas right on State Line
What State Team do you root for (College/Pro)?
Originally from CT, where I was a Giants/Pats fan. As of 2005, I guess I am a Chiefs fan. My daughter went to elementary school with Trent Green Jr. and that moron Larry Johnson was a neighbor.
I'd root for Iowa State since my daughter attends but they blow.
What do you do?
Software sales
What are your worst acquisition disorders?
Currently...all but razors. Soaps, brushed, AS, vintage carts
What are your favorite shaving hardware/software (up to 3 of each)?

Razors:
Eversharp Eagle Krona, Gillette Red Tip, Gillette SS
Brushes:
Vielong Lord Randall badger, Simpson Duke 3 Best, several Semogue boars
Soap: Saponificio Varesino, Reef Point, Stirling
Cream:
None
Aftershaves:
SCS Fairway, Proraso, RR The Stallion

Tell us a little about yourself?

Work for a small east coast based software company selling distribution management ERP software. In my early 50's, married 28 years, 18 year old daughter, awesome dog.

Hobbies:
Enjoy hanging out with neighbors, grilling and smoking in season, working in the yard, in season. Dig cars, vintage ones I dream of owning. Watch UFC on occasion. Movies as well. Seinfeld fan and shows similar. Spend way too much time on B&B and TSN.

I should be game for a meetup!

This sounds awesome. I would love to be involved. I love up north. There are places like Side Pockets which there might be one in Lees Summit too. Or a bar and grill place could be good too.

Lee's Summit would be good for those all around, its the closest city getting into the metro from Knob Noster that KJ is coming from. But I am also a bit biased cause that happens to be where I am..lol.

There are places like Side Pockets which there might be one in Lees Summit too. Or a bar and grill place could be good too.
Maybe. I've done meetups at restaurants/bars before. Not ideal, but they work. I'd prefer someplace a bit less public, and less noisy, with room to spread out if we are going to be doing show and tell type stuff.

First Name?
John
Resident or Alumni?
?? Not sure what this means..
Welcome John!

Alumni is someone who from MO or KS, but now lives elsewhere. (like SpaceCadet1 above)

Lee's Summit would be good for those all around, its the closest city getting into the metro from Knob Noster that KJ is coming from.
I think Lee's Summit would be fairly central for all involved. Know any good spots?

lees summit is a little far as i live in lawrence. however, as long as im not traveling for work i wouldnt mind too much. maybe we could find something one the eastern side of kc up by the sports complex or just outside of downtown? there are some good places that might work in north kc

lees summit is a little far as i live in lawrence. however, as long as im not traveling for work i wouldnt mind too much. maybe we could find something one the eastern side of kc up by the sports complex or just outside of downtown? there are some good places that might work in north kc

Lee's Summit itself is a 3 hour drive for me personally so if we go any farther up im gonna have to pass as I will probably do really good to make it to LS in the first place lol

I know it's going to be really hard to accommodate everyone, especially for those who live outside of the KC Metro area. When you have to drive an hour or more to hit one side of the metro, then a meeting on the complete other side is asking a bit much. I think we should Focus on LS for this first one, and then the next one we can have in a different location to accommodate other folks. If this is something folks want to do, I have no problem setting up a quarterly or even every other month meetup.

The kicker is we need places to meet. I have no problem meeting at a members house, and doing a pot luck or something, but I know a lot of folks would be uncomfortable with others at their house.

I looked into the Community Center in Lees Summit, but that's $40/hr for residents. And is a bit expensive for us to just hang out.

We could use the VFW hall in Knob Noster, but I understand, that's a far drive for most of you. I'd offer my home, but that presents the same logistic problem. Does anyone have use of any halls or meeting rooms with their work or other organization we could use?

Any other suggestions?

there are some good places that might work in north kc
What did you have in mind?

I would prefer Knob Noster even over LS because it's even closer to me but I get that it's probably farther away for others

In Lee's Summit, the best place would probably be best determined by the amount of people planning to attend. There is a hole in the wall newer restaurant in Downtown LS called Frankie Fairlanes LINK, that would work pretty well if we have like 10 or so people as they aren't very busy. We could probably get them to reserve us some tables if we plan it out with them ahead of time. A lot of the other places like the VFW and the American Legion we would have to rent. Sidepockets as suggested earlier would probably work out alright, certainly have the capacity for a larger group. Again someone would just have to make plans with them so we can have a reserved setting and no one freaks out when they see straight razors coming out.

This place here is pretty cool though! Black Dog Private Room

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do some research and see what might be best to start off. I don't think we'd have more than a few people to start, These things typically start off small. I just hope we can get it to grow over time.

I know it's going to be really hard to accommodate everyone, especially for those who live outside of the KC Metro area. When you have to drive an hour or more to hit one side of the metro, then a meeting on the complete other side is asking a bit much. I think we should Focus on LS for this first one, and then the next one we can have in a different location to accommodate other folks. If this is something folks want to do, I have no problem setting up a quarterly or even every other month meetup.

The kicker is we need places to meet. I have no problem meeting at a members house, and doing a pot luck or something, but I know a lot of folks would be uncomfortable with others at their house.

I looked into the Community Center in Lees Summit, but that's $40/hr for residents. And is a bit expensive for us to just hang out.

We could use the VFW hall in Knob Noster, but I understand, that's a far drive for most of you. I'd offer my home, but that presents the same logistic problem. Does anyone have use of any halls or meeting rooms with their work or other organization we could use?

Any other suggestions?

What did you have in mind?

there are two places that come to mind. one is called the cinderblock, a microbrewery and there is another bar with a nice patio that is a few buildings down on it, paul and jacks tavern i believe.

Just FYI,
Here is where we are all at, logistically. (Map attacked below) Based on the map, so far, I'm thinking Lee's Summit for the first one, and them someplace on the West Side, maybe between Overland Park and the racetrack, for the next one. And then possibly doing one near Warrensburg/Knob Noster after that, to help out Chris.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm making a list!
There are places like Side Pockets which there might be one in Lees Summit too.
There is a hole in the wall newer restaurant in Downtown LS called Frankie Fairlanes LINK, that would work pretty well if we have like 10 or so people as they aren't very busy.

Sidepockets as suggested earlier would probably work out alright, certainly have the capacity for a larger group.

This place here is pretty cool though! Black Dog Private Room
there are two places that come to mind. one is called the cinderblock, a microbrewery and there is another bar with a nice patio that is a few buildings down on it, paul and jacks tavern i believe.

Attachments

• $Show-Me.png
    $Show-Me.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
First Name? Bhagi
Resident or Alumni?
Resident. Grew up in Wisconsin
City (Residing in or from)? Hannibal
Region (from above map)? Northeast
What State Team do you root for (College/Pro)? Cardinals
What do you do? Shave. Then doctor after shaving.
What are your worst acquisition disorders? Watches, tennis rackets. Shaving creams.
What are your favorite shaving hardware/software (up to 3 of each)? Stirling Kong brush, Maggard M6 razor. Astra blades

Razors: Maggard M6
Brushes: AoS Finest Badger, Stirling Kong
Soap: Maca Root
Cream: Palmolive
Aftershaves: Stetson Black

Tell us a little about yourself?
Grew up in Wisconsin, have lived in Missouri for last 19 years

Hobbies:
Tennis, Tae Kwon Do

Show-Me Pic(s)
proxy.php

i would be easily able to do something if we do something around the legends in kck. i should be able to do something in lees summit, it could just take a little more planning on my end.

Top Bottom