What's new

Should it hurt?

You are spending much too much time with the razor on your face which is part of the problem. A DE should never take more than 15 minutes and even that is quite a bit. Watch you blade angle and your pressure. Those are the keys.

Importance of blade angle and pressure = :thumbsup:
Importance of completing your shave in 15 minutes or less = :thumbdown

+1

I can maybe shave in 15 mins if I do a two-pass shave and don't aim for BBS. Otherwise, with a rigorous prep, multiple passes and touch-ups, and exquisite post-pampering it will take something between 30 and 50 mins. And the time spent is damn well worth it. I feel like a king for the rest of the day (or night). :arabia:

I can maybe shave in 15 mins if I do a two-pass shave and don't aim for BBS. Otherwise, with a rigorous prep, multiple passes and touch-ups, and exquisite post-pampering it will take something between 30 and 50 mins. And the time spent is damn well worth it. I feel like a king for the rest of the day (or night). :arabia:

Amen, brother!

Status! I successfully shaved this morning using my new Gillette Tech, Gillette blades, and new shaving cream and brush D'brie was generous enough to donate to my cause, also armed with this plethora of shaving laws, tidbits, and factoids you have all been generous to donate, with MINIMAL pain! I did not try so hard to get the BBS shave I thought I needed and ended up getting a super close shave anyway, without the pain. I have adjusted my blade angle significantly from what it had been using the mirror technique, and I believe that helped alot. I also created the lather on my face rather than in a bowl like I used to and I think that made a significant difference in how stimulated my beard was when I started the surgery. Although when I finished with the razor my beard still seemed to not quite be as smooth as it could be, I found that after I finished my post shave conditioning, it felt smooth anyways. Thanks again everyone!

When I started DE shaving, last September, it hurt quite a bit a lot of the time. It was quite a few cuts and nicks, plus a good bit of razor burn and shaving bumps on my neck.

Now, after about 8 months experience, I almost never hurt myself. Either my skin is somewhat tougher or my experience has built to the point that I am shaving "better". It is probably some combination of the two.

On the other hand, I was trying something a little different just two nights ago and I hurt myself pretty good. I was in a hurry, so I skipped the lather and the bowl and the brush, attempting to shave with only Noxema cleansing cream and water. The shave was pretty good, but once again I had razor burn and bumps and nicks on my neck. :redface: Needless to say, I don't think I'll try that again. :001_unsur

Tim

On the other hand, I was trying something a little different just two nights ago and I hurt myself pretty good. I was in a hurry, so I skipped the lather and the bowl and the brush, attempting to shave with only Noxema cleansing cream and water. The shave was pretty good, but once again I had razor burn and bumps and nicks on my neck. :redface: Needless to say, I don't think I'll try that again. :001_unsur

If I'm in a hurry, I know I'll shave too fast so I just don't shave if I don't have time. Or I just don't aim for BBS and do two passes. But still, as mentioned, this takes about 15 mins. So, if I only have 10 mins I currently just skip the save. But I am contemplating on getting a Sensor Excel just in case (worst case scenario).

I'll gladly shoulder any guilt that you want to throw my way, Vince. :biggrin:

Thanks for the welcome, it is very good to be back.

If I'm in a hurry, I know I'll shave too fast so I just don't shave if I don't have time. Or I just don't aim for BBS and do two passes. But still, as mentioned, this takes about 15 mins. So, if I only have 10 mins I currently just skip the save. But I am contemplating on getting a Sensor Excel just in case (worst case scenario).

I work in the finance department of a large financial corporation. Not shaving is not an option.

Tim

I work in the finance department of a large financial corporation. Not shaving is not an option.

Yeah, I am student, but not for long so I am trying to switch from shaving in the evenings to the mornings because I have stubble when I wake up. That's why I thought I'd get an Excel in case I oversleep...

My shave takes 30 minutes and I need to relather some areas as I go. 15 minutes is never gonna cut it for me (no pun intended).

Top Bottom