What's new

Short, soft, backbone brush under $80?

Ah, so is it mostly a soaps brush? I only use soaps every so often. I've been on the same 2 soap pucks for 4 years now. hehehe. lame, I know. I just love my Bigelow.

Ah, so is it mostly a soaps brush? I only use soaps every so often. I've been on the same 2 soap pucks for 4 years now. hehehe. lame, I know. I just love my Bigelow.

The other 1% is Bigelow shave ceram..:thumbup1: I have a huge stash from a sale. The brush works exceptionally well with both. It is not to stiff or to soft considering the size of the brush.

Yeah, I'd soak it in water and it'd just empty itself. No water period and wouldn't make a lather out of anything, just bubbles. I was annoyed. Maybe I don't know the secrets. I really wanted to like it, the price was perfectly right. Any suggestions next time or want to try and get me to buy another one?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd soak it in water and it'd just drip dry and would make a lather out of anything, just bubbles. I was annoyed. Maybe I don't know the secrets. I really wanted to like it, the price was perfectly right. Any suggestions next time or want to try and get me to buy another one?

As far as boars go? The only "secret" would be to give it time to break in, before you really judge the thing. Unfortunately, the break-in, consisting of losing the smell and conditioning the bristles to their maximum water absorption for latherability, takes at least a dozen latherings (including drying time) in the best case scenario. My Semogue LE 2009 took over a month for break in and, while awesome, I think it still has some room for improvement.

Next brush you get, I'd say soak the bristles initially in hot tap water (or filtered, if you want to get freaky about things). Not all the way, so you leave the handle and the epoxy safe, but about one finger's width away for about 5 minutes. Let it drip, give it a few easy shakes, and let the brush cool down. Dip it into a glass/bowl of warm water to soak the bristles again, pull it out and let it drip, then start test lathering. I'd say 3 to 5, since you're going to need to adjust to the fact that boar bristle builds lather a little differently than badger. Personally, I do an aggressive Zach method lathering, or palm lathering, since you'll want to wear in those tips as soon as possible. By the time you're finished, most of the porcine scent should be gone. This is what I like to do, and I'll even stand face lathering the next day.

You need to let the brush dry, in order to facilitate splitting and softening of the bristle tips. A squeeze with a towel, a few stiff shakes, and a light toweling should be fine to allow your brush to fully dry within a 24 hour period. Some people like to use hair dryers, but I don't really think it's necessary unless you want to lather/dry twice a day or something. You should also think to lather with a boar every day when you're breaking it in, whether you're using it for your shave or not.

Some of the more well thought of, general purpose brushes:
Omega 31064
Omega 31025
Omega 81052

Or most of the Semogue boars: 830, 2000, 1305, 1250, etc.

Actually, let me send you a PM.

I find the quickest way to break in a boar brush is to use a warm hair dryer . The hairs start to split quickly as a result. I also do a few palm lathering too.
I did it with my Semogue and Omega and it worked very well.

Back to the OP; With your budget, contact Mr. Rudy Vey , he posts on here, he will be able to knock you up an awsome brush! Badger or Boar.

On the subject of breaking in boar brushes;I have broken in 4 Semogues, 1305, 620, 1470, SOC LE. I am currently on an 830. Be PATIENT guys; here are my apprx timings and a dummy hand lather counts as a shave.

1305 - 12-15 shaves
1470 - 7-10 shaves
620 - 20+ to start being a great brush. It is even better now at 30+.
SOC LE - 20 -25 shaves
830 - currently at 9 & although better than when I got it, not quite there yet.

If I had got rid of any of these brushes prior to those numbers, I would never have known the quality/latherability of them.

Sweet. Sounds like I'm goin' wee scot

Good choice. I have a Wee Scot and Duke 1. Used the Wee Scot this morning with great results, as usual. The best part is that I hardly waste anything when I use it and it still holds enough for a 3 pass shave.

Top Bottom